Eventing 2024 Season Thread

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Great thread! Thank you. I'd love to get into eventing later this year/early next but finding it all very daunting as I don't know anyone that does it! So can't figure out the ins/outs! Thinking of employing an experienced groom for my first one to point me in the right directions!

So this is a great behind the scenes for me!

Where are you/ where are you hoping to ride? There may be experienced people on the forum who would be happy to help.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Sadly one of our homebreds was lost at Tweseldown. Absolutely tragic after a horse fall. I had to sell her back in 2022 when I had cancer and watched her shine with her new owners. She was the horse I got my first ever BE win on. Sadly for me, the ramifications will run deeper as the horse I ride is her sister and now her owner is questioning eventing and the dangers of it. Will have to see what happens as supposed to be at Oxstalls on Sunday.
That's very sad news LEC :(

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Sadly one of our homebreds was lost at Tweseldown. Absolutely tragic after a horse fall. I had to sell her back in 2022 when I had cancer and watched her shine with her new owners. She was the horse I got my first ever BE win on. Sadly for me, the ramifications will run deeper as the horse I ride is her sister and now her owner is questioning eventing and the dangers of it. Will have to see what happens as supposed to be at Oxstalls on Sunday.
So sorry LEC. I had this happen to me in 2016 at a BE90, just a horrible tragic accident. I do still event, but I’m certainly a lot more cautious, and aware that accidents can and do happen at any level.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am going to Oxstalls if it runs. I have always said the sister I have is a very different horse and a lot cleverer than her sister. I won’t run xc if she is a lunatic in the sjing or doesn’t like the going.

I am also not that ambitious. I have a dream of going Hartpury 2* but no ambition to go higher.

SEL

Visit site
I really feel for all of you who were planning on eventing this year - the weather is just shocking.

I was moaning about my saturated hacking routes (now verging on dangerous) to my vet today and he was saying how many competitive riders are struggling with fitness this year.

SEL

Visit site
it’s just global warming. Though this year has been savage. We used to have lovely frosty mornings to muck spread when I was a kid growing up. This year not had a single frosty morning. I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with land. Farmers will be having a rubbish time.
they were ploughing / seeding into the dark around me earlier in the week - we had enough of a dry spell to try and get seed into the ground I think. Stuff that was planted in Autumn is looking a bit rough there's been so much water sitting on the fields.

SEL

Visit site
There is a very serious concern that if farmers can't get spring crops in the ground soon it will be too late for them to be a viable crop this year.
That is a massive straw shortage in the making, (let alone the lack of barley and other spring crops)
My friend is surrounded by farmland in Lincs and the fields are empty.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
1000013348.jpg

1000013350.jpg
1000013349.jpg

A few (heavily file size reduced) photos from yesterday. What a great event Thoresby is - as a competitor it's extremely well organised, but it also looked like a great experience for spectators with lots of extra things on and the xc course winding through the main food, bar and activity areas. I think a huge amount of work went into getting this event on and keeping it going with the terrible wet spring weather. Although the going was soft, spectators didn't even need wellies!!

Arrived in the thick mist and went off to walk the course, which was very chunky and technical and shared all but one fence with the 3* 😬

We did an improved dressage for 35.5 which wasn't too far away from the middle of the pack in the intermediate. The SJ for national classes was up by the lorry park on ground that wasn't too cut up, but the arena is significantly sloping. Had a good forward and positive round for just the one fence down.

XC I was feeling pretty nervous about. Lots of "what ifs..." - quizzed a few riders about their plans for lines and striding. Set off over the first 5 straightforward fences and got into a good rhythm - we then had some trickier combinations in the main spectator area where there were lots of people lining the track - an awesome atmosphere to ride through!

He got better and better as he went and it was honestly the best, most flowing round we've done at intermediate so far. I think the more atmosphere and people there are, the better he gets. The only moment where I had to ride was going in over the drop into water where he hesitated momentarily, and then I had to ride to the skinny out on very long reins where I'd had to slip them. But it doesn't even look too awkward on video - he was super. We didn't kick on for the time at all as it was soft going and I was prioritising a good confident run, but he still ended up climbing the leaderboard to finish 11th as the track was causing lots of trouble.

There are a few clips of us on the H&C.livestream, but it's mainly Lucinda Green telling Ben how to pronounce the Louis part of his name 🫣 but I did get a LG complement for the water combination, and always good to not look totally rubbish compared to the pros before and after 😂

Super quick highlights video here:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
What a great report! Well done you two :) Thanks for sharing the video and pics too.

Oxstalls was abandoned sadly so I'm still yet to have my first BE volunteering experience. Will look out for other opportunities :)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
What a great report! Well done you two :) Thanks for sharing the video and pics too.

Oxstalls was abandoned sadly so I'm still yet to have my first BE volunteering experience. Will look out for other opportunities :)
I'm sorry that was abandoned :( weather has definitely been cruel on the SW events so far

Squeak

Visit site
Well done RF, great result. Glad someone has managed to get out a couple of times this season already, hopefully more of us will join soon!