Eventing after hip replacement/resurfacing

Magister

Visit site
Has anyone experience of returning to competitive eventing after hip surgery?. I'm asking for a friend who could do with hearing some positive outcomes!.
Would be grateful if you are willing to share your stories.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a replacement .
I don't compete really now but I could if I chose I school and jump and hunt .
I would tell her don't worry it will be fine it's a wonderful procedure there no way however I would have a resurfacing done when I looked into it it was clear it's not a great choice for women .
Yes there's a risk of nasty complications if you fall but I know two people who have broken their implants and got over it and got back to riding .

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I smashed my hip up 5 years ago and had to have major surgery. I have since had resurfacing done and have subsequently made it back to intermediate eventing. Sadly there was a catch and that horse was then a bit wide for me and I have had to sell her. However I have some narrower horses I am bringing on currently BE100 and no reason not to go o. Best bit of advice is pay for and get as much private physio as you can afford. You will find all the story in my historic blog on Shoestring Eventing.

I also have a friend with two hip replacements who carried on eventing to BE100 level.

blackhor2e

Visit site
I haven't personally experienced this, but I was watching a friend of mine with a fairly recent hip replacement go xc schooling this winter. She became quite sore after a period of time xc schooling, but wouldn't we all 😁

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have a replacement .
I don't compete really now but I could if I chose I school and jump and hunt .
I would tell her don't worry it will be fine it's a wonderful procedure there no way however I would have a resurfacing done when I looked into it it was clear it's not a great choice for women .
Yes there's a risk of nasty complications if you fall but I know two people who have broken their implants and got over it and got back to riding .
I can confirm that hip resurfacing is not suitable for most women, I had both of my hips resurfaced and it was great for about 2 years then the pain came back as bad as before the ops. have had one redone with a THR which is a bigger operation and involved bone grafts as the bone had been eaten away and now have nerve damage in the top half of my leg, and will need to have the other one redone soon...however I am more comfortable riding than walking so not all bad, I could still compete if I had a younger horse but now just happy hack when my old girl is sound

Fiona

Visit site
Hubby had hip surgery (not replacement though) and is completely back to normal still... Riding away and eventing as normal.

Fiona