eventing as a career

eventer and proud

Visit site
So its kinda in the title but how would people go about making a career out of it. I know you can't just do it from riding and that you have to sell horses and teach ect and apart from that a lot of hard work and time.

So at the moment I am 15 and taking my GCSEs nexy year I am competing a 1m and last year went to the PC national Champs. I already pay part of each entry fee and all my start fee. I am pretty determined to get to the top so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Apart from teaching I was thinking maybe a small job (equine vets receptionist, waitress) to make ends meet. I am going to ride at badminton no matter how long it takes me (not meant to sound big headed) Does anyone have any experience or know someone who has made it to the top with a relatively supportive family but who would much rather i was just a happy hacker! I think they can see how much i want it though :)

Any tips or experiences or anyone telling me there is no money and not to do it?

benz

Visit site
I've not done it myself but often see jobs advertised at eventers yards for working pupils/apprenticeship etc maybe investigate that route? I think being in the right circle of people will help a lot.

You sound very determined which is probably the best thing for an eventer! Good luck with your dream :)

Equi

Visit site
The absolute best way is to get a job or even a voluntary role at an eventing yard. the knowledge and experience you'll gain from it will be priceless. If you prove yourself to be a hardworking and talented horsewoman you will have so many operations open to you! You'll be more likely to find a good sponsor too, which most riders need unless they're already minted. Good luck :)

P. S there is probably no money in it at the lower levels and as you say you'll probably need to buy/sell and train up a few to sell on. It can be done obviously, you just need to be determined and good at what you do. The most important thing is to be kind to the animals you're training - getting yourself a good name in the industry is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, the first thing you need is the desire....you appear to have that. The second thing would be prosperous parents, land, stables, etc. Failing that, talent, experience, sponsors and a huge dollop of luck. Career? I wouldn't call it that, but vocation might fit better.

Luci07

Visit site
There is no money in it, talent is not enough so you have to toughen up a lot if you are serious about making it into a job. I have watched a really good friend go for it and the sacrifices she has had to make have been very tough. People knock Olly Townsend but his single mindedness has been needed to get to where he has. Give yourself every option so finish your education, have something else behind you which you can revert to. Look at an apprenticeship on a pro yard to give you the training. There is a world of difference between wanting to ride at 4* and making a paying career out of it so you could be better to look at a career which would support you with your passion.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You might find it a better quality of life to get a decent well paid job and do it as a hobby. It's far nicer to be able to afford the things you need without scrimping and saving and if you get injured what have you to fall back on. Yes that's a really boring thought process when you are 15 but it's real life. In 20 years time when you want to have kids or have had a bad fall and you don't want to do that any more, you'll probably think I was right after all ;)

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My son seriously considered a career riding - he was one and three-day eventing to BE Intermediate at 18 - he is now 23. In the end he decided that it would be very difficult to make a good living and so carried on riding as a hobby. He gained lots of experience with different trainers, including opportunities to school their horses, and he also completed his Pony Club B test and passed the lungeing for the A test. BE were also supportive in terms of subsidised training and advice, but the costs did stack up and he sacrificed quite a lot of other opportunities (school trips, holidays etc)! He did think about taking his BHS Stages and would make a fantastic teacher. Also, he was very realistic about himself. Despite offers he never wanted to compete other horses or to bring on youngsters to sell. He has one horse and is REALLY attached to him. He realised that the next level up would be a huge step and my son got scared - mostly for his horse but also for himself, although they had never had an accident or serious mishap.

As others have said make sure you complete your education - this will give you more choices as you get older (you don't HAVE to use all your qualifications, but if you don't have them you definitely cannot use them!). An apprenticeship is a good route. Many eventers are educated to degree level so they have a different 'string to their bow' in case the equine industry doesn't work out. Take the opportunity to gain as much experience and ride as many horses as possible. You are already thinking about other roles - horse trainer, teacher, equine therapist, vet. nurse (vet?) etc that will earn you money, and perhaps get you started. It will take you some time to explore what might suit you and where your talents lie. As Equi has said - be professional in your outlook and attitude and in all your dealings with horses - a good reputation is worth its weight in gold. Good luck! There are lots of routes out there for talented and determined riders.

debbielinder

Visit site
You could become a stable jockey, some of the larger studs have main stable jockeys and riders they employ. I know she wont mind me mentioning her name, but Samantha Hobbs is the stable jockey for Preci Spark, she took over from Sarah Cohen when she left. I worked there for 2 years. She works damn hard but i know shes absolutely loves her job. She has a string of horses to compete ranging from just backed youngsters to advanced. Although she did serve her time as yard manager for Janeatte Breakwell for 8 years before hand.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you prove yourself to be a hardworking and talented horsewoman you will have so many operations open to you!

I suspect this isn't really the advice Equi meant to give you, but it's definitely something to bear in mind! As a young pro, not all the horses you'll get to ride will have enough talent or experience to be a safe ride and even good horses have killed two people I personally knew and put another I have met in a wheelchair for life.

I only had the guts to go for Novice, myself, but I loved every minute.

If it's your passion, and if you aren't academic or talented in the direction of a skilled trade, then go for it. You sound determined enough to make it work. Otherwise, I second everyone else who says keep it as a hobby and get a well paid career. Quite a few 'hobby' riders make it to Badminton.

Shay

Visit site
The great thing about eventing is that you can get to quite a reasonable level with one horse and a job outside eventing. But you can also go all out for it and try to make a living from it.

For me as a mum part of the journey - at least at this stage - is about keeping options open and being really honest with yourself about what you want from life. You could go the "all or nothing" route and look for an apprenticeship / working pupil at an event yard when you finish GCSE's. If you don't already have your stage 1 and RRS then do them now - or PC B Test and lunging. You can't do your stage 2 until you are 16. But you will get a far better apprenticeship - and get far more out of it - if you have your stage 2 before you go. These apprenticeships are really popular as you can imagine so you need to be at the top of the tree to get a good one. Otherwise you languish about at the bottom destined to be a groom. (Nothing wrong with being a groom - but you asked about riding professionally.) Once you have started that apprentice journey you use the connections you build up to move forward.

Or stick with school and aim for a profession of some form. Keep competing and build a reputation locally. If you can get your BHS AI - whether you do the apprenticeship route or not - then at least you can always pick up some extra cash teaching. If you look at the line up for Badminton there are several rides with a "day job". Or look at riders like Alice Dunsdon - she did every single 4 star worldwide on one horse - and a day job!

eventer and proud

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I know i am going to finish school and do my A levels and all that. As many of you have said lots of badminton riders have a day job. I do realise that it is expensive and i will start of with a job. (marrying a footballer might be a good idea too ;) ) My aim is to ride at Badminton, hopefully once i'v got to a reasonalble level i might have a few owners and sponsors! Lets hope in however many years im posting on here about my entry to badminton!!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
How about looking at doing your bhs stages? I did stage 1 at 15 so unless it's changed since then you could start applying/ working towards your stage 1?
That way you'll be able to build up your knowledge for if you eventually get your own yard but will also help you be able to do something like teaching alongside your eventing. My old instructor showjumps but also does teaching alongside as she said it's one of the few ways you can make money working with horses when I was maybe looking into going back to working with them. (Never did and still work in an office!)
Think quite a lot of the event riders teach and do clinics etc.
It also gives you a well known qualification.

Also agree with those who say to finish your education. It's always good to have something to fall back on just in case you do change your mind- I always thought all through school id work with horses but changed my mind in college. It may be you want to have a well paid job then do eventing alongside. Prepared to be corrected by Hinrich Romeike who went to the Olympics with Germany worked full time as a dentist.

Last edited:

Llee94

Visit site
I would try and get some summer work on an event yard first before you make any decisions.
Like you, I was determined to make riding my career and ride at 4* level. I loved working on the event yard but it did make me realise just how tough it is to be a rider. I worked for a 4* rider who had around 20 horses on his yard just to make ends meat (granted he didn't own his yard so had big outgoings to pay rent).
In the end I decided I would rather keep eventing as a hobby and get a 'proper' job to fund it.
I now earn a decent wage for my age and with the help of my fiancé we have been able to by a house and I still get to go out and event my horses without having the pressure from owners.

SO1

Visit site
Luckily you are still very young so have plenty of choices open to you.

I would continue with your A Levels and see if you can get some work experience during the holidays on a event yard or as part of your school work experience scheme. If you have a supportive family then that is a really good start.

Like others have said you can compete at a high level with one horse, if it is a good one. The difficulty you may have is that a good event horse even a young one does not seem to come cheap, so either you have to ride other people's, get a job that pays well enough to purchase one or have a family who is willing to help invest in your future.

I don't know how academic you are, but look for a career that is well paid but where you have the option to work flexibly or part time and also which might have useful transferable skills to a career as an event rider.

A job as a part time waitress or vet receptionist is not going to be enough money, unless you are going to get some family support for example living at home rent free and with all food and bills paid for. If you want to be independent from your family (and they may not want to support you forever!) and have an event horse you a need a decent salary or generous partner.

As you mentioned most event riders make money from running a business alongside riding, so any skills you can learn to help you be a better business woman would be useful. I would look at getting one of the modern apprenticeships preferably in something like accountancy or marketing, it won't cost you anything and you get a qualification and work experience and a bit of pay as well. Most companies need people to work in their finance and accounts teams and it is better pay than being a waitress or receptionist and it may be a useful skill for you if you decide to run your own business by becoming an event rider.

eventer and proud

Visit site
I would try and get some summer work on an event yard first before you make any decisions.
Like you, I was determined to make riding my career and ride at 4* level. I loved working on the event yard but it did make me realise just how tough it is to be a rider. I worked for a 4* rider who had around 20 horses on his yard just to make ends meat (granted he didn't own his yard so had big outgoings to pay rent).
In the end I decided I would rather keep eventing as a hobby and get a 'proper' job to fund it.
I now earn a decent wage for my age and with the help of my fiancé we have been able to by a house and I still get to go out and event my horses without having the pressure from owners.

News then...... I'm going to Victtoria pannizons for week soon then Chris Hall asked it I would like to go there for a month at the end of summer. May also be going tk Carl's next year as I was to young and his insurance didn't cover me this year.

eventer and proud

Visit site
How about looking at doing your bhs stages? I did stage 1 at 15 so unless it's changed since then you could start applying/ working towards your stage 1?
That way you'll be able to build up your knowledge for if you eventually get your own yard but will also help you be able to do something like teaching alongside your eventing. My old instructor showjumps but also does teaching alongside as she said it's one of the few ways you can make money working with horses when I was maybe looking into going back to working with them. (Never did and still work in an office!)
Think quite a lot of the event riders teach and do clinics etc.
It also gives you a well known qualification.

Also agree with those who say to finish your education. It's always good to have something to fall back on just in case you do change your mind- I always thought all through school id work with horses but changed my mind in college. It may be you want to have a well paid job then do eventing alongside. Prepared to be corrected by Hinrich Romeike who went to the Olympics with Germany worked full time as a dentist.
I'm doing my PC C+ test which translates in to BHS stage 1 then aiming for B test which is stage 2.

eventer and proud

Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm overly academic. Usually manage just above average in most apart from maths and physics, catering and Business I seem to have done quite well in???? How I dont know.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm overly academic. Usually manage just above average in most apart from maths and physics, catering and Business I seem to have done quite well in???? How I dont know.

People will always need to eat, catering and business could be a useful combination :) Congratulations on your placements.

Lyle

Visit site
Gosh, you sound like me at 15! :) I had the horse, we were competing CCI 1*, had a young one in the wings, taught at PC every weekend when not competing, and had so much parental support. They were firm on one thing though, that I had to do my best academically, and continue to university. When I finished High school at 17, I was competing 2* and I took a gap year to work and pay my way to 3*. Well, after a cracking result at the end of season CCI, my horse and I had a schooling accident that pretty much ended his career. My parents, whilst incredibly supportive, and what I'd earned, wasn't enough to purchase another horse with talent to continue up the levels. I decided to return to study, and mucked around with young ones. What had once been my desire to be my career, became my hobby. It was hard to swallow at the time, I'd been rubbing shoulders with a group of young riders who who's parents were nothing short of loaded. By 18 these girls had properties of their own, a string of horses and parents who footed the bill. If you've got that kind of support, someone who will pay your bills even when you've got no clients, it makes it much easier to continue to climb the ranks and be noticed. if you don't have that sort of monetary backing, you will need to be smart! While you've got some form of support from your parents, go out and learn as much as you can, work your guts out and accept a crummy wage because the experiences are invaluable. But at some stage you will need a solid career to support you. It might be hard at 15 to think that your badminton plan could be 10+ years away, by the time you get yourself financially stable and with the right horse. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you do have time to achieve your dreams, sometimes we need to take a longer road than those people around us, it's unfortunate but money talks. If you haven't got someone willing to hand it to you, you'll need to be smart and make it yourself. The end result is the same! I've got everything I could ever want and a life that I love :) good luck. Keep us posted!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Hello little me 12 years ago ;)

I went to college. I worked at some pretty big yards for some pretty decent 'names,' I was a working pupil, I rode everything and anything that people pointed at me. I taught, I had a evening bar job, I scrimped, I saved, I sacrificed pretty much everything to be an eventer... for it to come crashing down around me one day as I simply tried to ride my friends horse off the yard to hack it, and it reared up, fell on top of me, and left me in a bit of a mess. That was that- I couldn't work, couldn't drive, and then I began to think, what if it had been worse and I couldn't do physical work anymore - what the hell would I have done?

Promptly left my horsey career behind and got a sensible job, and made it my hobby. 8 years on from leaving horses as a job, I can now afford my own very smart young horse, and hope to return to eventing with her eventually, with much more self preservation, insurance policies in place should I get hurt, and a job I can still do in varied states of brokeness.

But if you choose to chase it, then good on you. But be prepared for situations like selling your horse of a lifetime to fund 3 or 4 young horses or a yard move, owners switching to a different rider, a bigger 'name' after you pouring a lot of time and effort into their horse (Think Laura Collett recently), and not having something to fall back on if it does go wrong.

I know my post is a bit negative, and I never regret my time working with horses as I had some fantastic experiences, but I wish I had someone keeping me a bit more grounded back then.