Eventing...Blasts from the Past!!!!

tonkatoy

Visit site
Was randomly googling for old photos of my horse and i stumbled across this webpage, some amazing photos of eventing over the years and so many horses i had totally forgotten about!!

only 5000+ photos for you all to look at and reminisce!!!

i particularly liked remembering Ian Stark and The Moose!

http://kithoughton.zenfolio.com/p340814851/h2AD1E03F#h7bd0258f badminton 1978 xc photos.... EEEEEK!!!!!!!!!

charlie76

Visit site
Was randomly googling for old photos of my horse and i stumbled across this webpage, some amazing photos of eventing over the years and so many horses i had totally forgotten about!!

only 5000+ photos for you all to look at and reminisce!!!

i particularly liked remembering Ian Stark and The Moose!

http://kithoughton.zenfolio.com/p340814851/h2AD1E03F#h7bd0258f badminton 1978 xc photos.... EEEEEK!!!!!!!!!

When I was grooming in compeigne the moose was next door, he was huge!

kerilli

Visit site
ooh, fantastic find, thank you!
the Search button works, if you put in the name of a certain rider or horse, it brings up pics of them. Great cataloguing work. Is it okay to share this please, tonkatoy? Thanks!

humblepie

Visit site
Very well known photographer and some super pics - Lovely one of Regal Realm - remember show jumping against him many many moons ago (and beating him though that didn't mean much really as he was going for double clear, we were trying to win!). Will pursue them more over the weekend.

Dunlin

Visit site
Brilliant!! You've really helped me prove a point with this as I swore the other day that Ginny Leng rode Murphy Himself before Ian Stark and now I have a whole heap of photo's to prove it :D

http://kithoughton.zenfolio.com/p340814851/h79a53f61#h79a53f61

I'm also hoping I can find a certain 3* course back in the 90's that I cannot remember the name of, I can only remember the downhill jumps leading to the water!

Dunlin

Visit site
I have a funny feeling you're right, Gatcombe sounds right and it was certainly one I used to go to (watch), I shall start my research there thank you!

siennamum

Visit site
Brilliant!! You've really helped me prove a point with this as I swore the other day that Ginny Leng rode Murphy Himself before Ian Stark and now I have a whole heap of photo's to prove it :D

http://kithoughton.zenfolio.com/p340814851/h79a53f61#h79a53f61

I'm also hoping I can find a certain 3* course back in the 90's that I cannot remember the name of, I can only remember the downhill jumps leading to the water!

I think she swapped him with Griffin,, who is also featured here ridden by Ian Stark, cause she found Murphy too strong. Ian Stark did pretty well in the deal.

what a wonderful site. I have wasted too much time already this morning.

tonkatoy

Visit site
i only ever start one productive thread every 3 years lol (last one was the jumping bloopers which i might re ignite for the hell of it haha)

glad you have all enjoyed, share away, d\i had even forgotten about the tourmaline rose and pippa funnell.

sad to see Polly Phillips and coral sove, but yet so good to see them in their element.

Dunlin

Visit site
I remember that, it was dreadfully slippery and Glenburnie took off to jump but slipped off the edge (I think). It was fairly nasty but both were OK. Badminton 1992 was an horrendous year, for anyone thinking Badminton this year was bad for the number who didn't complete they should watch 1992.

Lovely to see Coral Cove and Polly, they were a favourite combination of mine too, I remember watching Vere complete Burghley the year after she died, it was very emotional.

kerilli

Visit site

Oh god, I didn't realise anyone had got a photo of it.

That was 1 year at Badminton (or Burghley, but I'm almost positive it was Badders), the direct way (which no-one did all day iirc) was to jump straight across the top from point of grassy bit to opposite point of grassy bit, i.e. treat it like a ditch. Everyone treated it as a sunken road, so lost a lot of time setting up and popping down into it, having approached from the side to get straight for the faces of the bank, and then either bounce or 1 stride across iirc.

Ian Stark tried the direct way on Glenburnie, who was a hard puller and very very bold. I think he misread it, or his feet slipped down off the first grassy bit. Either way, they were pretty fast and he hit the opposite bank with his tummy. Ian wasn't hurt, he was thrown clear (well, I guess he was probably very bruised and battered) but the horse either bruised or fractured ribs, I think, I can't remember which. He did get back to competing again of course.
You can see what happened in the next photo, ish. I think that was taken just after impact.

That's from back in the days when direct routes were so tricky that only Ian Stark tried them. Happened at Burghley at S fence in the arena one year too, but he did it perfectly, only one all day to try it.

sweet_decline

Visit site
Oh god, I didn't realise anyone had got a photo of it.

That was 1 year at Badminton (or Burghley, but I'm almost positive it was Badders), the direct way (which no-one did all day iirc) was to jump straight across the top from point of grassy bit to opposite point of grassy bit, i.e. treat it like a ditch. Everyone treated it as a sunken road, so lost a lot of time setting up and popping down into it, having approached from the side to get straight for the faces of the bank, and then either bounce or 1 stride across iirc.

Ian Stark tried the direct way on Glenburnie, who was a hard puller and very very bold. I think he misread it, or his feet slipped down off the first grassy bit. Either way, they were pretty fast and he hit the opposite bank with his tummy. Ian wasn't hurt, he was thrown clear (well, I guess he was probably very bruised and battered) but the horse either bruised or fractured ribs, I think, I can't remember which. He did get back to competing again of course.
You can see what happened in the next photo, ish. I think that was taken just after impact.

That's from back in the days when direct routes were so tricky that only Ian Stark tried them. Happened at Burghley at S fence in the arena one year too, but he did it perfectly, only one all day to try it.

I'm pretty sure I've got a video at home of Helen Bell and Troubleshooter taking the direct route at that Sunken Road at Badminton - and making it! It was the first year I went to Badders so can vividly remember how massive it was.

kerilli

Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've got a video at home of Helen Bell and Troubleshooter taking the direct route at that Sunken Road at Badminton - and making it! It was the first year I went to Badders so can vividly remember how massive it was.

Wow, did they? My memory goes a bit fuzzy that far back. They may well have, he was an awesome xc horse. Had the privilege of competing against them, got to watch her warm-up routine with him, very interesting!
Thanks. :) :) :)

Visit site
Thanks tonkatoy for the link. Huge thanks to Kit Houghton for the memories. I'm particulary loving the Los Angeles Olympics for the Waterfall and Ghost Town complexes. In fact I'm enjoying them so much I have finally been spurred into making my first post!

sweet_decline

Visit site
Wow, did they? My memory goes a bit fuzzy that far back. They may well have, he was an awesome xc horse. Had the privilege of competing against them, got to watch her warm-up routine with him, very interesting!
Thanks. :) :) :)

Will try to dig out the video this weekend and see if I'm right! 90s eventing is firmly fixed in my memory, wouldn't have a clue what happened last week though!

Used to love watching them XC - what was their warm-up routine out of interest?

Lexi_

Visit site

She did! I have the Badminton roundup video from that year (must put them all on DVD at some point) and I remember her just kicking on and sailing over it. I'm sure I read somewhere afterwards that she said he was bold and brave enough that she knew he'd have no problems with it.

bananaloaf

Visit site
Didn't Ginny Leng always look really elegant, no matter what monster of a fence she was tackling?!
Gosh yes, so neat!

Just come across pics of Briarlands Pippin's fall at Badminton :(

Absolutely brilliant site though, thanks so much for sharing, OP! I know I'll end up wasting a good few hours on there!!!

Doris68

Visit site
Brilliant site! Great to see my old friend John Marsden at Gatcombe and Burghley. He's still eventing now...doing well for an old boy! (Sorry John).