Eventing debut for my 5yo report

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Well, and an eventing debut for myself! my first "proper" ODE anyway. I bought my Connemara "Smokey" 8months ago lightly broken, he hadn't jumped or schooled at all, having only hacked down the field in Ireland, so I'm very pleased with how well he's come on.

He warmed up very sensibly considering how excited he was at this new party! He deafened all the stewards by neighing in their ears at tack checks :eek: . We did our 2nd ever dressage test to score 30, leaving us in a close 2nd in a competitive class. I got to our first half circle and forgot the test, mini panic and fortunately got my brain in gear just in time! The test wasn't as smooth as I would have liked as he got a bit fed up from a long warm up, and I was panicking at forgetting the test, but still extremely pleased. I also didn't help that his new saddle is still in the post, so we had to make do with my old horse's jump saddle, held in place with a breastplate !

On to showjumping and he went clear, despite some bad striding from me. By the time we were set to go XC, we were sat in 1st which was pretty impressive considering he was the youngest one there, having just turned 5 this week!

XC started off well, popped some very scary jumps and gave them plenty of room! Unfortunately I hadn't yet shown him skinny fences, so when we approached a really narrow log pile with weird wings, he didn't understand what it was and had a stop. He realized it was actually a jump and then popped both carefully! Such an honest chap.

So overall very pleased, he was perfectly behaved and all 3 phases done in a myler comfort snaffle and loose cavesson, what more can you ask from a little youngster :) Video attached of the dressage test, SJ and start of XC.

Can't wait for the next one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RudMH6_bot4

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Ah well done. Sounds like a great first time out. Whats next?

I must have missed it, but how's your other fab little boy doing, the amazing hedge hopper? Is he ok now?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks everyone, he is such a star. Plans are to keep his confidence building and go to whatever events we find. We have a super riding club nearby, so he will be doing that this season and then some arena eventing in the winter :) maybe join some teams.

Do you mean my coloured boy Bernster? If so, I had to make the heartbreaking decision to put him down. I put a thread up about it . An old lameness came back much worse and he had started bolting dangerously, I couldn't hack him at all and he couldn't canter left (before the lameness showed). His legs were forever infected no matter what we did, and his back teeth started digging in to his face. He had many other little issues too that were not huge, but added up.

I have my little 14.2 who is 2 hands too small, but got me through a horrific time! So I am a pony squasher now.

Bernster

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. He was a little star. It's so hard when they have multiple issues. Must have been heartbreaking. Glad things are on the up now though.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. He was a little star. It's so hard when they have multiple issues. Must have been heartbreaking. Glad things are on the up now though.

He was, but I am glad he got a season hunting before he went bad, I couldn't see him crippled in a field all hairy and miserable :( still can't get my head around it, but it's getting easier.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
No not that one, I backed and rode him away then sold him very honestly as a project. I didn't have the time or mindset for him to progress! This chap is my Mr Perfect :D
thank you, just need to stretch him!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
No not that one, I backed and rode him away then sold him very honestly as a project. I didn't have the time or mindset for him to progress! This chap is my Mr Perfect :D
thank you, just need to stretch him!

Too many connies to keep up with :D, he is doing a good impression of mr perfect :D
I know, haha! This one is staying put for a while though, he is such a clever chap. I just bought a new beautiful rising 4yo connie too! Was nice that a connie I produced and sold two years ago won the class. Horses having a few days off now, so I must resist buying another with the spare time ;)

Embo

Visit site
Fantastic, well done the pair of you! How cool is this little horse, so green but you'd never know watching him go round! Exciting future ahead :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks Embo! It was lovely taking him, in my mind he still won his section ;) we will just forget about the skinny fences haha. He did well to pop over them after he stopped to work out the task in hand. He is so clever, and never gets upset by a difficult situation, just has a moment to think about it! Miracle pony grow is required though.