Eventing Dressage vs Pure Dressage Conformation

nato

Visit site
Is there a difference?

I'm looking for my next Eventer, and am trying to look for the 'whole package' in terms of conformation and paces - but most importantly for me I need a good, brave jumper with a nice temperament as that's where I am lacking. I don't mind putting in the work on the flat. However some horses I am interested in, I am being advised against them as they are not built as uphill as some pure dressage horses I see - in that they won't be able for more collected movements if they are not uphill in conformation.

As my goal is to event, but I do like dressage, I was wondering if there was a difference in what you're looking for in an Eventer for Dressage vs a pure Dressage horse? I didn't think that the 'uphill' build was as necessary for Eventing.

(Note those that weren't built 'uphill' were not completely downhill either, and have a super jump and paces)

be positive

Visit site
Are you being advised by a dressage rider/ trainer? for eventing obviously the dressage and good conformation is important but being able to collect and do advanced movements will be a long way down the line and even then the same degree of collection will never be required for an event horse that will be essential in a horse aiming for GP dressage, being uphill is desirable in any horse but it may be a disadvantage if too uphill as it will find galloping more difficult.

I think for someone starting out the priority must be the jump and attitude over almost everything else, as long as they are basically correct, have a good brain so you can improve the flatwork and you actually like riding them that would be far more important than whether they have potential to do a classy test at advanced level, if they don't jump well you will never get to that level anyway.

nato

Visit site
Are you being advised by a dressage rider/ trainer? for eventing obviously the dressage and good conformation is important but being able to collect and do advanced movements will be a long way down the line and even then the same degree of collection will never be required for an event horse that will be essential in a horse aiming for GP dressage, being uphill is desirable in any horse but it may be a disadvantage if too uphill as it will find galloping more difficult.

I think for someone starting out the priority must be the jump and attitude over almost everything else, as long as they are basically correct, have a good brain so you can improve the flatwork and you actually like riding them that would be far more important than whether they have potential to do a classy test at advanced level, if they don't jump well you will never get to that level anyway.

Thank you, this person does jump but mostly focuses on dressage yes, so was thinking that might have been why they advised that the horse was not 'uphill' enough. I fell in love with one today for his temperament, how careful he was over a jump and how much he really just wanted to try whatever I asked him to do. He's not built uphill but he is also young (rising 6) and is short backed which I wanted, and nicely put together with strong shoulders and a strong rear :)

I looked at the tests for Eventing and there doesn't seem to be any collection up to Novice so I think I'll be ok ;)

vallin

Visit site
Let me put it this way, I have a dressage bred mare (by de Niro, gs donnerhall) who is making an awful eventer so I'd go for temperament and basic correct conformation over hugely expressive, uphill paces any day :)

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Remember that even at 4* the dressage test is only the equivalent of an Advanced Medium in pure dressage. Although a degree of collection is required, as Be Positive has said, it's nothing like that required for high level dressage.

In an event horse I'd be much more interested in temperament and jumping ability.

be positive

Visit site
Let me put it this way, I have a dressage bred mare (by de Niro, gs donnerhall) who is making an awful eventer so I'd go for temperament and basic correct conformation over hugely expressive, uphill paces any day :)

That sounds about right, it is no good being in the lead after dressage on a sub 20 score to fail to get round the other 2 phases, far better to be midway and move up with a double clear within the time the dressage can be a work in progress but not if the jumping and attitude lets you down.

Maybe you need a fresh pair of eyes or to have a frank discussion with the trainer about your aims, if you are not on the same page you are wasting your time, their time and that of the sellers, not to mention the whole process becoming rather pointless if they are steering you towards the wrong type.

nato

Visit site
Maybe you need a fresh pair of eyes or to have a frank discussion with the trainer about your aims, if you are not on the same page you are wasting your time, their time and that of the sellers, not to mention the whole process becoming rather pointless if they are steering you towards the wrong type.

Thank you, my trainer came with me and she does a bit of everything but primarily showjumps competitively - she loved the horse I loved so we are totally on the same page :) I just got a weigh in from someone who helps me from a pure dressage perspective and that was their advice. Ultimately I take the advice of my coach who believes the same as all the above responses, in particular her comment was that eventing dressage is not the same as pure dressage as jumping is two out of the three phases so I have to think about that too.

I just wanted to get others' input on the differences in conformation too!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if you have found the right horse, if you love it, your main trainer loves it then go with your instincts, I hope it passes the vet and we can all be hearing about you having fun in the near future.

star

Visit site
You don't want a dressage horse for eventing - they can't gallop for a start! My eventer is built downhill but it hasn't stopped him getting to Badminton Grassroots 3yrs running and he's about to go Advanced at pure dressage too. His marks are nowhere near that of the purpose bred dressage horse but he wouldn't have done so well eventing if he was a dressage horse and you can't have everything. If your priority is eventing then get the horse with the temperament to look after you. Any half decent horse will get you up to Medium pure dressage if you fancy that too.

paddi22

Visit site
agree with the other posters. I always used to get downcast when i'd see the crazy low dressage score, but inevitably they always get eliminated cross country! especially if the weather is bad!