Eventing - & lots of sun at Kelsall Hill

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Thought would do a report as I so enjoy reading other people’s

After (finally) XC schooling at Somerford last week, it was the first event of the season for Reilee and Phoenix last weekend at Kelsall Hill. Reilee in the BE90 on Friday and Phoenix in the BE Novice on Sunday. Amazing weather, ground, courses, organisation and event overall. Was really excellent both days. & we bought lots of stuff from the Cheshire Pie Company, we love their arancini in particular…highly recommended

Getting back to the eventing…both horses were grand

Reilee jumped her first BE double clear and our dressage was 36.5 with mistakes. Mine basically just hack with the odd jumping schooling /unaff jumping competition between autumn and spring, so it is quite amusing /damning that they tend to get q good dressage marks on this regime and often worse marks after doing more flat schooling…She was (still) too fast XC, despite slowing her for the last two fields, she jumps easily out of her rhythm and has a very easy ground covering stride – will become an asset as she moves up the levels, makes BE90 times overly generous though. She needs to improve her adjustability in canter – particularly for her SJ but she is much improved already from last year and she learns fast so expect her to improve further now I can do some more flat and jump schooling at home. Will see how she goes in her next BE90 and think about where and when to move her up.

Phoenix was much calmer all day – often her excitement starts before she is caught (both live out 24/7 all year round) and she does several laps of the field bucking (on her own – the other 3 horses just watch on whilst eating) before coming over to be caught. However, this time she just came in for breakfast and stayed calm all the way through – no quivering getting ready and no sweating during travelling despite the heat. Reilee is v zen about all things and they have been out together on a few trips – we think (hope) that Reilee’s calm has had a positive effect on Phoenix’s overly excitable tendencies. Also, I changed her hard feed around in Jan which seems to have benefitted her digestion, muscles and may have contributed to her increased calmness…Am hoping Sunday reinforced the advantages of staying calm and not wasting energy to her, we shall see….She actually stayed calm during the dressage warm-up and relaxed during the test – not been known since her first couple of events as a 5YO. I was guilty of not asking for more connection but I was keen to complete a relaxed test without pressure so that it reinforced it as a positive experience for her. We scored 38, which for her is averagely good – she is capable of much more when we can reproduce what we do at home – we are getting there – slowly and with diversions. SJ was calmer than normal – not as much boinging in the collecting ring or arena, 4fts at the smallest of fences but she then jumped great the rest of the course. We have adjustability and increasing relaxation. XC, she was her normal brilliant self – she is always relaxed XC(!). Inside the time, being brought back more for the last few fences as she got a little on her forehand towards the end. Overall though, much more able to allow her to jump out of her stride without having to set-up. Need to think about what to aim for with her this season…

Both finished 18th in their respective classes on a very similar score, both very pleased with themselves (still) – quite rightly! 😊

Some vids:

Reilee XC

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Phoenix SJ (aka Tigger)

Phoenix XC (with some random sky shots when the cameraman lost us)

Thanks very much for reading!!!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Fabulous. Sounds like a great day. Reilee looks super chilled. Phoenix looks like a live wire! I do love a xc video. Thx for posting.
Yep, Reilee is a dude - has been ever since she was born according to her breeder and certainly all the time we've had her since a yearling. She rarely has her eyes more than half open and will lie down and sleep at every opportunity. Phoenix is Tigger and like a 17.2hh JA pony to SJ. Always looking for stimulus from somewhere, amazing fun to ride. Always had 100% confidence in herself since 4YO, whereas have had to build Reilee's steadily through doing. We say Phoenix is the extrovert and Reilee the introvert, both have alot going on between the ears but show it in v different ways

That's brilliant! Well done. x
Thanks very much, a high standard had been set!! ;):cool:

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Wow, fab start to the season! Phoenix is quite the firecracker 😁 she looks ace.

Thanks v much, yes have not ridden any other horse q like Phoenix - she has taught me a great deal
It is good to have to switch between the two as well as they have to be ridden quite differently

Great report. Well done

Thank you - got to enjoy it when things go well:)