Eventing thoughts!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So I am nothing if not optimistic, despite plague, pandemic, Wales restrictions, I am looking to the rest of the season and BE starting up :cool:.

Looking at what is left of the calendar and what is within 2 hours(ish) of me, if I did an 80 at Frickley (hilly but not scary?) do you think it would be completely insane to then attempt a 90 at Cholmondeley? They are also back to back weekends?

Wouldn't normally consider it but Cholmondeley is very local to me...

Or abandon the above and start at Frickley end of July, then Llanymynech end of August, then Kelsall end of Sept and Weston Park in Oct, as they are all reasonable distances? Trying to plan for enough entries to try and get a run as I'm expecting to be balloted out as riding on a ticket...

Picture of the wee grey thing who says YES to eventing :cool::
104595782_1339379279581262_5333209503581762101_n.jpg

Willow1306

Visit site
I've done the 90 at Frickley on a young, green horse and although it's a lovely event that is top of my list to go back to, I would say it's pretty colourful/spooky, but not really hilly. I can't comment on any of the others, but just wanted to mention that Frickley may not be quite what you think it is based on your comment in your OP.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I've done the 90 at Frickley on a young, green horse and although it's a lovely event that is top of my list to go back to, I would say it's pretty colourful/spooky, but not really hilly. I can't comment on any of the others, but just wanted to mention that Frickley may not be quite what you think it is based on your comment in your OP.

Haha no idea where I got that from then! She's not spooky so that should work in her favour with maybe not being 'as' fit as I'd ideally like.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Eventing back to back weekends is something that quite often do when starting horses off as helps to consolidate. Having seen how Skylla has been going over the past year or so, she looks confident enough to do a first BE80 anywhere. I really like the Cholmondeley Castle courses (would describe them as a bit like Somerford but twistier and really make use of the terrain for siting fences) but I do make sure they are confident at the level before I take them there (might take both mine this year(!) - but debating whether fair as first runs...). We found Skipton an easier drive than Frickley from N Wales (we're not far from you) and it is on the weekend after Cholmondeley with a BE80.

So you could perhaps do Frickley 80 (lovely venue, plenty to look at on the courses), Skipton 80 (great XC courses - need to be q fit as there are hills, good one to do before move her up too, found the SJ ring tight in the Novice a couple of years ago) and then the 90 at Llanymynech. I find Llany a great venue for moving up levels as is relaxed atmosphere and lovely inviting SJ and XC courses. They are v accommodating too so if you wanted to move back to 80, am sure they would try to help you.

Then you would be set-up for Kelsall 90 in Sept (nice, fair courses for the level - v popular) and Weston. Weston courses tend to be twisty and turny and another rollercoaster type course - you could think about what level closer to the time after having had run(s). Can get v wet by then too...

Envious of your XC schooling, we've not been back out since mid March! Soon though....:)

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Eventing back to back weekends is something that quite often do when starting horses off as helps to consolidate. Having seen how Skylla has been going over the past year or so, she looks confident enough to do a first BE80 anywhere. I really like the Cholmondeley Castle courses (would describe them as a bit like Somerford but twistier and really make use of the terrain for siting fences) but I do make sure they are confident at the level before I take them there (might take both mine this year(!) - but debating whether fair as first runs...). We found Skipton an easier drive than Frickley from N Wales (we're not far from you) and it is on the weekend after Cholmomdeley with a BE80.

So you could perhaps do Frickley 80 (lovely venue, plenty to look at on the courses), Skipton 80 (great XC courses - need to be q fit as there are hills, good one to do before move her up too, found the SJ ring tight in the Novice a couple of years ago) and then the 90 at Llanymynech. I find Llany a great venue for moving up levels as is relaxed atmosphere and lovely inviting SJ and XC courses. They are v accomondating too so if you wanted to move back to 80, am sure they would try to help you.

Then you would be set-up for Kelsall 90 in Sept (nice, fair courses for the level - v popular) and Weston. Weston courses tend to be twisty and turny and another rollercoaster type course - you could think about what level closer to the time after having had run(s). Can get v wet by then too...

Envious of your XC schooling, we've not been back out since mid March! Soon though....:)

Thank you for that, lots to think about! I think I discounted Skipton as a bit far, but if its an easy run to get there, then 20 mins is neither here nor there really!

I know I suggested a 90 but might have to put all my brave pants on lol, I think it really depends on how she goes/ if we get the runs.

I took the horses over to Kelsall as they were desperate for a gallop (getting a bit silly to ride!) and so mum could actually ride her own horse! The Welsh boarder issues have been a bit of a nightmare for us with mum being in Cheshire and me in Wales, not sure if we broke the rules or not as there are no gallops within five miles of us and which is worse mum coming into Wales to ride her own horse or me bringing Topaz to her... Figured whilst I was there we could do some schooling too!

Asha

Visit site
the 90 at cholmondley is lovely, but has a few fences that are full up. Id do a 90 at llany as a first one at that height.

When Aria did it (cholmondley) there where a couple of fences that had been in the 100 the previous year. But it did flow lovely.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
the 90 at cholmondley is lovely, but has a few fences that are full up. Id do a 90 at llany as a first one at that height.

When Aria did it (cholmondley) there where a couple of fences that had been in the 100 the previous year. But it did flow lovely.

Ok, I think cholmondley is a no for this season then I don't want to overface her, shame they're not running an 80! I think I will have to man up and accept travelling a bit further, if we can get in to any!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Thank you for that, lots to think about! I think I discounted Skipton as a bit far, but if its an easy run to get there, then 20 mins is neither here nor there really!

I know I suggested a 90 but might have to put all my brave pants on lol, I think it really depends on how she goes/ if we get the runs.

I took the horses over to Kelsall as they were desperate for a gallop (getting a bit silly to ride!) and so mum could actually ride her own horse! The Welsh boarder issues have been a bit of a nightmare for us with mum being in Cheshire and me in Wales, not sure if we broke the rules or not as there are no gallops within five miles of us and which is worse mum coming into Wales to ride her own horse or me bringing Topaz to her... Figured whilst I was there we could do some schooling too!

All changing shortly anyhow and all pretty low risk in greater scheme and must have been lovely to see your mum and for her to ride Topaz. I recognise the need to give them a gallop! The lunatic (Phoenix) is really bored of just riding around here now. She needs more to do and to be able to stretch more. I got them both eventing fit during March, partially let them down and have not geared them fully back up yet. With Ph it is her mind rather than her body, although both horses get pretty fit just mountain hacking, flat and SJ schooling. I have quite enjoyed riding them in good weather without the pressure /structure of competitions but would quite like some of that now ;). Very fortunate living here and as we do.

Before moving up, I want them to feel like I am just steering them round even the most difficult course for the level (e.g. Somerford /Cholmondeley) - have used this with several horses and up several levels (& when you look longingly at the next level's fences walking the course :)). All those events have 80s as well as 90s so stay with what feels right at the time (for both of you!). I really liked the Skipton Novice XC course - plenty of hedges! It is a bit of a trek but mostly motorway, which makes it less tiring to drive and for the horses - we did the round trip in a day (same as Frickley). Hopefully will see you out and about!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
All changing shortly anyhow and all pretty low risk in greater scheme and must have been lovely to see your mum and for her to ride Topaz. I recognise the need to give them a gallop! The lunatic (Phoenix) is really bored of just riding around here now. She needs more to do and to be able to stretch more. I got them both eventing fit during March, partially let them down and have not geared them fully back up yet. With Ph it is her mind rather than her body, although both horses get pretty fit just mountain hacking, flat and SJ schooling. I have quite enjoyed riding them in good weather without the pressure /structure of competitions but would quite like some of that now ;). Very fortunate living here and as we do.

Before moving up, I want them to feel like I am just steering them round even the most difficult course for the level (e.g. Somerford /Cholmondeley) - have used this with several horses and up several levels (& when you look longingly at the next level's fences walking the course :)). All those events have 80s as well as 90s so stay with what feels right at the time (for both of you!). I really liked the Skipton Novice XC course - plenty of hedges! It is a bit of a trek but mostly motorway, which makes it less tiring to drive and for the horses - we did the round trip in a day (same as Frickley). Hopefully will see you out and about!

Yeah that's what we figured, Kelsall are taking all the right precautions as well. I didn't really plan very well as didn't let them down much as we could gallop in our field, however, the grass is too high now (hay field) and don't particularly like going on the faster hacks without a hacking buddy, so they really needed to go somewhere to let the sillys out!

I am keeping everything crossed I actually get to an event this time, I am somewhat cursed when it comes to eventing lol.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Can't help much really, but thought Kelsall was really lovely, but miles to walk! Llany was a really good track, though Jack did the 100 there in his first season.

I am ridiculously excited about eventing starting again! Just no idea if we'll manage to get to anything.

Lexi_

Visit site
Can we have a socially distanced wave at Kelsall? ?

I can’t wait to get back volunteering! Realistically I think it might just be Cholmondeley and Kelsall for us for the rest of the season though :/ Somerford have cancelled, I won’t touch Bold Heath with a barge pole (not sure if they’re running this year tbf - haven’t checked the calendar!) and we travel/stay over near all of the others which isn’t an option right now. Might be the right time to investigate Eland or Llanymanech and just get up very very early!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Can we have a socially distanced wave at Kelsall? ?

I can’t wait to get back volunteering! Realistically I think it might just be Cholmondeley and Kelsall for us for the rest of the season though :/ Somerford have cancelled, I won’t touch Bold Heath with a barge pole (not sure if they’re running this year tbf - haven’t checked the calendar!) and we travel/stay over near all of the others which isn’t an option right now. Might be the right time to investigate Eland or Llanymanech and just get up very very early!

Waving cannot break any rules!!

Bold surprisingly isn’t on the fixtures though I’m sure they’ll run unaff, I cannot imagine why you’d not go there though ???.

Eland don’t look to have BE on but is definitely worth the drive! Not been to Llanymanech but only heard good things ?.