Eventing venues in wales?

eventingcrystal

Visit site
Struggling to find many BE venues in wales? I’m based in south west wales so ideally don’t want to be driving more than 2 hours to a venue. The closest to me is Chepstow (1h40), are there any others in a good distance? Also would like to go to some unaff events too so any local venues for that would be helpful!!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
There are NONE - I used to live in Carmarthenshire and the shortest drive I had to go unaff eventing was 3 hours ? Beacons and Ynysymond do good arena Eventing though.

Llanymynech and Pontispool weren’t too bad runs to get to, did those as day trips.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I did Builth Wells. We were all walking the course saying "my horse isn't fit enough for this mountain." The course went straight up, down, up and down again and we had picked up a bit of speed by the end! Shame it doesn't run any more.

spacefaer

Visit site
There used to be a Welsh National championships run as a 2DE at Chepstow in May. To qualify, you had to finish in the top 6 of a Welsh event, or be a Welsh rider placed in an English event.
It was a lot of fun

Llanymynech is half Welsh - the course literally crosses the border!

spacefaer

Visit site
Shame really isnt it? The perfect land for horse sports and there is a huge lack of high end facilities.

Lots of land but smaller population and less money.... and too far from the stronghold of the South East for the eventers to travel, apparently. When I was eventing in Gloucestershire, I could go to an event every single weekend from March to September and never have to travel more than an hour and a half. A huge number of those events no longer run.

Quite a few were at National Trust properties, who have apparently decided that eventing is not an economic use of their resources - Montecute, Berrington, Llanhydrock to name a few.