Eventing woes lead to BS / BD success including a comeback

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Like many others I have been frustrated by the great British weather. My eventing focus was Pip's first intermediate at Gatcombe with warm up runs at Moreton and Aldon. I realised Moreton may be risky but in fact it had great weather and going, Aldon however was cancelled 45 minutes before we started out dressage :( This resulted in a very confused horse who had arrived the day before, been stabled then been put back in the lorry and taken home. This picture doesn't do the weather justice but shows the dressage warm up during a huge hail shower!

62708_10151493992322320_1690602169_n_zps444b92ab.jpg

So as we all know Gatcombe didn't happen :( and my long awaited Intermediate debut, this will have to wait until Bicton now :eek:

So with a refund imminent (well arriving sometime :rolleyes:) it paid for Sarnie to be registered again for BS and there just happened to be a BS show at Colraine :cool: One advantage of being so far SW is although the weather is not pleasant down here we have little snow or ice.

Sarnie was so excited to be out again. She is getting quite miffed with the amount Pip has been doing :mad:

Just entered her in the 1.05 open which was a very competitive class. So nice to have the 'old slippers' back on who I can trust to make up for my mistakes and do her best to jump a clear round. She jumped clear in the first round and we were drawn first to go in the jump off. Our only dodgy moment was when my foot hit the fence as we were turning at 2!

[youtube]X5qJbgJWLm8[/youtube]

It was enough for her to win :D So pleased it has now been 7 months since she came back into work and this was the first time she actually felt anything like her old self. It shows how long things take for them to come back. Her attitude to dressage has not changed so that is being avoided where possible :rolleyes:

So with no Gatcombe Pip was entered in the BD today. Thought as we were moving up to Intermediate it was about time we did an elementary test so entered Novice qualifier and E43.

Having had a stressful morning - a simple new tyre on the car resulted in a 2 hour wait and £200+ bill after it was found the suspension coil was broken (explains the judder :rolleyes:) So we were running well behind! She has been Miss consistency at the dressage and I was hopeful for some good scores.

Sadly the arena we use had some new boulders around the edge and she was a little tighter in the test than I would have liked, saying that it was accurate and obedient. An hours break for me to learn my test and we did our first elementary together.Thank goodness it no longer has to be done in sitting trot as this is a skill I have still not mastered with her and certainly not in my GP saddle! I was pleased with test and 'the boss' aka Mum thought it was the better of the 2. The judge for both was list 2 so I knew no easy marks!

1-IMG_1374_zpse688b649.jpg

By this time it was snowing (no not sticking but snowing in Cornwall :eek:) so she was quickly packed up and I headed off to find sheets. Was expecting about 65% for both tests. Was gobsmacked with 72% to win the Novice qualifier and 71% for 2nd in the Elementary both PBs for me! We only had one 6 and an 8 for my riding in both tests :eek::eek::eek:

320538_10151512485882320_1960621112_n_zpsa14db60f.jpg

So on a comparison Pip now has 43 points from 8 classes, Sarnie on the other hand has 49 from 27 classed :eek: Needless to say Sarnie says dressage is for cissy's and Show jumping is where the real glory lies. As long as they continue to fight it out on this form I won't complain!

smac

Visit site
What a good week. Minus the eventing ;-) I'm seriously considering a switch to bd and bs. Figure with bs on a surface - no plaiting no studs no mud bit of winner really ! Hope you get to event again soon!

Is plan with sarnie to event again? Or keeping quiet and see what happens?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I do love Sarnie! Mally is defintely with her on the Dressage, today I spent an hour and a half being carted/catapulted around the arena on a very fit, fresh horse that has lost the ability to go in a straight line, however, I can guarantee shed have gone straight over some bloody jumps!! :rolleyes:
Pip is looking fab too, what a dressage result! Congrats on the 8s!!! :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
What a good week. Minus the eventing ;-) I'm seriously considering a switch to bd and bs. Figure with bs on a surface - no plaiting no studs no mud bit of winner really ! Hope you get to event again soon!

Is plan with sarnie to event again? Or keeping quiet and see what happens?

Sarnie may do the odd event but don't really want to pressure her to come back to level she was at. Basically will be doing plenty of BS and other fun things. Throwing around ideas of being a Mum at some time or maybe even a schoolmaster for someone (special)

Javabb94

Visit site
Such a shame you didn't get your run at Gatcombe :( this weather is just awful

Well done with the BD! Fantastic results :)
Sarnie's looking excellent also!

KatB

Visit site
Fantastic results, and very well deserved! The dressage can only help to get prizes at eventing (and prize money is always nice!) and I think Sjing is the way forward with being on a surface and getting money! Look forward to eventing reports.