Ever been told "but its just a horse"?

Dolphin

Visit site
Just found this whilst surfing, and think its very true...

"From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a horse,"
or, "that's a lot of money for "just a horse".
They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a horse." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a horse."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a horse," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a horse,' and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a horse" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a horse," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."
"Just a horse" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a horse" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a horse" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a horse" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a horse" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a horse" but the thing that
gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a woman."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a horse" just smile, because they "just" don't understand."

RunToEarth

Visit site
Mates used to be like that. "why do you spend every evening riding in the wet, mucking out poo, plaiting up on a friday eve instead of being down the pub, are you crazy lady?" But they get over it. My horses means the world to me, all of them, and I wouldnt be without them.

parsley

Visit site
LOL! OH doesn't really understand about my horses! Fortunatly he is just happy that they make me happy
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Aww, brought a tear to my eye!
Reading that helps me justify why I have to spend 10 hours tomorrow being a slave, so I can pay off part of the £230 I just spent on my horse's new wardrobe! She will look fab in her new bridle and rugs! Ah I can't wait to see her tomorrow morning now!
laugh.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! OH doesn't really understand about my horses! Fortunatly he is just happy that they make me happy

[/ QUOTE ]
But sometimes I think I would rather have that then the constant "I know how to do it better than you" routine every time we are with the horses together. Drives me potty.

pocket

Visit site
Oh yes been there! When my pony died and my dog the week before!!!!! Why are you so upset, it is only a horse/dog
mad.gif

What people who dont own animals dont understand is the bond we have with our animals and the trust, unconditioned and complete love between the two beings.

I dont have children, so my animals are my babies and i would not have it any other way. I believed my friends new what both my dog Holly and Fly my pony ment to me, but when they both passed at christmas, no one asked me how I felt....... who are the true friends.......I believe the ones I lost.

Enfys

Visit site
Yes. It almost ended up in the Divorce Courts. Horse still went and I still bring it up in moments of extreme stress 11 years later.
OH is a little more understanding now, although I swear I saw a tear in his eye when he had to sell his stupid TVR, took great pleasure in telling him it was ONLY a car and didn't compare at all.

Claireg9

Visit site
Arghhh Pocket thats awful! I had exactly that with my pony that i had for fifteen years... somehow my OH understood but not many people did. Now i have a new horse he doesnt understand at all... if she is poorly he'll say ow just shoot it its only a horse it'll be cheaper!
So annoying, but if someone leans on his car he has a fit! ITs only metal!
Grrrr.
But the Just a horse paragraph was so true, people dont understand, but i have given up trying to make them, this will give me comfort next time my OH says that i'll just smile and think well he doesnt understand!
Brilliant piece of writing and something most of us have been through x