Ever feel like giving up....

MuddyMonster

Visit site
EVERYTHING that being tied to horses prevented us from doing: travel, leaving the farm for more than eight hours, being able to talk about something not related to horses……

I have plenty of conversations that don't revolve around horses (or dogs) .... I'm not sure you need to give up horses for that to happen :D Have fun on your new adventures though!

Edited: Posted too early - phone was having a temperamental few minutes.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I struggle massively at this time of year and I am lucky enough to have my horse on a yard with good facilities

The thing which made the difference for me last winter was riding in the morning first thing. Before work. Meant I had the arena to myself, I got it 'out of the way' and lost the guilt that I used to feel after a day at work when I didn't want to go to the yard, lost that feeling of being ungrateful which hangs over me when I don't want to ride - and meant that if I did feel like doing something 'normal' in the evening, I could because I had already ridden. I never did want to do anything in the evening though... Also meant I got a bit of daylight, and the dogs well exercised.

Consider changing up your routine to see if doing things a different way works better for you?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I struggle massively at this time of year and I am lucky enough to have my horse on a yard with good facilities

The thing which made the difference for me last winter was riding in the morning first thing. Before work. Meant I had the arena to myself, I got it 'out of the way' and lost the guilt that I used to feel after a day at work when I didn't want to go to the yard, lost that feeling of being ungrateful which hangs over me when I don't want to ride - and meant that if I did feel like doing something 'normal' in the evening, I could because I had already ridden. I never did want to do anything in the evening though... Also meant I got a bit of daylight, and the dogs well exercised.

Consider changing up your routine to see if doing things a different way works better for you?

That's a really good point. In the week, I always do my jobs and ride in the morning.

It means getting up quite early to muck out before riding but it also means in the evening all I need to do is bring in & pick out feet as a minimum and I can either be home by 6.30pm to chill on the sofa with a glass of wine, help cook dinner, do a home work (admittedly the sofa wins most of the time ...) or we try to do something totally unhorsey with MrMM or friends.

planete

Visit site
The main reason I am not giving up though I know it is long overdue is that I really do not want to do any of the other things I would normally do now like travelling, going out, joining various group activities. Covid has shrunk my world and without the pony to get me out of the house I would be impossible to live with.

[59668]

Visit site

I already ride first thing in the morning for the same reasons as you! Also there is no better feeling than a crisp morning hack at this time of year...even if I feel meh getting myself there I always feel better once I'm on and after.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I already ride first thing in the morning for the same reasons as you! Also there is no better feeling than a crisp morning hack at this time of year...even if I feel meh getting myself there I always feel better once I'm on and after.

Isn't it amazing the difference it makes to your state of mind?
I have negotiated a change of working arrangements specifically so I can keep it up this winter at least 3 out of the 5 working days per week (last winter was easier due to being locked down and working 100% from home)
Being able to just bed down at home on a rainy evening knowing that the horse is done, the dogs are exercised and I don't have to feel guilty for not going anywhere is priceless to me.