Ever got your foot caught in the stirrup?

Headpiece

Visit site
Well happened to me today whilst riding my 4 year old, who had a bit of a hop, skip and jump today:eek: No damage done, only panic (mine!) until i managed to bend down and free it, whilst making soothing noises to my filly.

Anyway, i was riding in my jod boots and chaps, and the stirrup got itself wedged under my instep, i am sure the chap elastic, which goes under my boot was to blame, and intend to chop it off. Anything similar happen to you?

zoon

Visit site
Got my foot caught whilst mounting. My horse was a sod for standing still at the block and used to swing his quarters out. Foot in stirrup and he swung his bum out and suddenly my head cracked on the floor where I'd been dragged off the block and horse spooked pulling me down yard. Cries of HELP were quickly answered and I was freed. No idea how it happened as was wearing my short boots and chaps which are particularly slender - think it must've been the angle that my foot was in as he swung away.

Last edited:

juliette

Visit site
Not to me, but my daughter fell off and her foot got stuck in the stirrup and she was dragged up a stubble field. She was in a bit of a mess at the end of it. Her riding ceased soon after that experience. :eek:

silverbullet

Visit site
I had an accident recently when I fell off and my foot got stuck in the stirrup, startled the young horse I was riding at the time and caused it to kick out at me - hitting my knee and doing quite a bit of ligament damage, I have since changed all of my stirrups for safety ones!!

Karran

Visit site
Normally I am very careful and always wear riding boots and have a pair of hiking boots that I wear if I know I will ride on holidays.

But I didn't take them with me to India, and only had my trainers, I was promised a gentle walk, little trot as the ground was rough, so hoped it'd be ok.

Every time we trotted though, the tongue part got jammed, was quite frightening trying to free it looking down at the heavily rocky ground and each time I did the pony got a bit jumpy, or assumed that my foot wriggling was me pushing it on.

Luckily I was ok, but never again!

swampdonkey

Visit site
I came off my really spooky mare last year, my foot got caught in the stirrup, it was well and truly wedged. There was no-one at the yard to help, I couldn't get it out, I couldn't reach the floor, I was sort of hanging there, with one hand on the floor the other trying to get my foot out. I had long boots on and it was a nightmare trying to undo them to take them off, there was no way I could get it out of the stirrup.
My heart was beating so hard, I thought I would get dragged about, the mare who I hadn't had long and was ridiculously spooky actually stood stock still, I was so relieved. Finally managed to get my boot undone and my foot out.
Pulled the muscles in my leg but other than that no real harm done.
They were the black plastic stirrups and I threw them away and haven't ridden with no-one on the yard since.
It was probably the most frightening thing that has happened to me whilst riding.
Although must have looked hilarious if anyone could have seen me, hanging off my horse saying as calmly as possible, "stand, stand, good girl, stand"

Jesstickle

Visit site
My mum fell off when she was about my age now, got dragged a couple of miles home to the yard and broke three vertebrae in her back. She was out cold for two days too (hats weren't what they are now, she is very old!) but is fine now and doesn't even get back ache! Very lucky!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Young pony went up and over on me. When it got up my foot was stuck and pony flew off round school dragging and kicking me. Foot came out eventually. :)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i have luckily never had the misfortune but recently i got all safety conscious for no reason and bought a pair of stirrup cages. They dont exactly look fabulous but i couldnt care less as long as i am safe.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
No, and I don't intend to. I'm frightfully non PC and use the old peacock stirrups. Yes I KNOW they're not recommended above a certain weight but I'd rather keep checking the bend on them (they don't break, they bend) and replace as necessary than risk being dragged. I've seen it happen even with the bent leg safety stirrups and just don't wish to risk it.

Perce

Visit site
I haven't..quite... but my mare can get very excited and difficult to mount in certain exciting or stressful circumstances, and after doing my first trec and taking about 10 minutes ( along time when every minute is being timed and costs points!) at one gate before I could mount, every time i put my foot in she would start to spin and want to charge off - very scary - I went out and bought the safety stirrups that are all metal but with a bend in them that is supposed to allow your foot to slide out if you do get dragged.

She has never been that dangerous again but would love to hear someone give me a report that says they do actually work!

reddie

Visit site
I fell off on a hack and my foot got stuck in the stirrup. Luckily the horse stood stock still while I freed my foot, what a star! I thought I had broken my foot, but it was quite severe tissue damage and too ok a few weeks to heal.

Headpiece

Visit site
No, and I don't intend to. I'm frightfully non PC and use the old peacock stirrups. Yes I KNOW they're not recommended above a certain weight but I'd rather keep checking the bend on them (they don't break, they bend) and replace as necessary than risk being dragged. I've seen it happen even with the bent leg safety stirrups and just don't wish to risk it.

The way my foot got stuck, it could have happened with safety stirrups too.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Yes a couple of times.

First time when I was learning to ride - didn't have proper jodhpur boots but a pair of harry hall muck boots.

Only my 3rd or 4th lesson, new RS horse called Grumpy decided to buck then run off, I slid off the side and was dragged (only very briefly) across the arena before my boot was ripped off my ankle.

Also happened at least twice with my current horse - both times going XC - first time fell off and boot got stuck but no harm done, second time came off, swung under pony, boot got stuck and pony stood on my chin - not so nice and still have a nice lump almost a year later!

I had a bad habit of jamming my feet into the stirrups - needless to say I try not to do that any more!

I know you can get release buckles etc but hear just as many horror stories about them so I've never bothered.

1Lucie

Visit site
Yes! Last yr i fell off on a hack and was dragged a short distance. Luckily only in walk and the horse is well behaved and after saying stand about 5 times he stood. Luckily for me, scared me a bit tho!

asmp

Visit site
I only ever use the awful looking safety stirrups with the rubber bands after seeing my daughters friend have an horrific accident. The horse refused a fence, the girl fell off, her foot got stuck in the stirrup - horse panicked and kicked out, breaking the child's thigh bone.

redmone

Visit site
My daughter's foot got stuck in the stirrup very briefly on Saturday, after falling off mid jump.

Her head bounced off the floor once, and then boot and chap popped off and flew across the outdoor school, luckily releasing her foot. Pony then bombed off without rider (as is pony's cheeky habit!) and in bombing off, caught daughter's shin with her hoof - shocking daughter, but not remotely hurting her, strangely enough :confused::)

As pony's habit is bombing off after dropping her little passenger, I was very relieved that daughter's foot came free - envisioned a lap of the outdoor with daughter dragged along :eek:. We have bent leg stirrups, but I'm buying some of those with the black rubber band.

Having a foot stuck once, was warning enough for me!

Incidentally, it's probably my fault. Bought stirrups 12 months ago when daughter's shoe size was a couple of sizes smaller. Should have replaced before this :eek::(:eek:

rhino

Visit site
Yes, horse slipped and went down on the road, somehow managed to deform the stirrup so it was moulded round (and into) my foot, he stood up and luckily didn't leg it! :eek: How he didn't break a rib I'll never know!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I got my foot stuck in the bent leg safety stirrups a few years back. Riding out alone, horse spooked and spun 360 degrees, I hit the ground with foot twisted in the iron. I simply could not reach high enough while lying on the ground to free my foot, it took several minutes of manovering to finally pull free. Fortunately my horse stood stock still like she'd been trained.

Dottie

Visit site
Does anyone know if the springer irons are safety stirrups? I was under the impression they were, but now I'm not sure?

hudsonw

Visit site
Yes, in fairness it wasn't a bad fall just a scary one and now I only ride if I have my saftey stirrups.
I have the Mountain Horse ones which also have the boots that help me keep my foot in the right place...I know that sounds sad but they have really helped my seat and my confidence.

Clannad48

Visit site
Yes twice , both times many years ago. Since then I have always followed the training I had when learning to ride a motorbike which can in the right circumstances be applied to riding horses. If you think you may be going for a 'flying lesson' take your feet up and tuck your legs up - that way you don't get dragged with the bike - road rash is not a nice thing. With horses I take my feet out of the stirrups before it comes to them getting stuck where possible. Only had one 'flying lesson' since :0 :0

LaurenBay

Visit site
Yes, 2 times actually :eek:

Once was when I was schooling a 5YO Connie. He spooked at something and dropped his shoulder, unbalanced me a little and then he spun and bucked. My foot got caught in the stirrup so was draped across the saddle, with my head haning by his leg. I just hoped to god he didn't run off as he was a spooky type. Luckily for me, he stood still and another livery had seen what happened and had to pick me up to put me back ont he saddle so I could release my foot. No harm done.

2nd was much worse. A Horse bolted with me down a road, he then lost his balance and fell, skidding into a wall. My leg went thought a hollow concrete pipe, which then tore off the wall and snapped. The force of that wedged my foot backwards into the stirrup. So when the Horse got up, I did too as I was stuck to him (Opposite leg was stuck to the way I was leaning, so again I was hanging with my leg draped over the saddle) and my head by his leg. I managed to get myself upright and then the Horse eventually stopped when I steered him into an indoor stable. No harm doen to my foot. But I have a scar on my leg from the pipe and this accident is what caused me to give up Horses for 5 months and lose every bit of confidence I had.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Yes once years ago, I was riding a friends horse that she was selling as he wasn't suitable. He had been getting worse and chucking the odd bronc. In my wisdom I offered to ride him and wore the old style mucker boots with the Velcro fastenings and hardly any heel. As we set off in canter down a disused railway track I felt his back go up and before I could get his head up he managed several humps and bucks. I was left perched in front of the pommel and realised my left foot was wedged in the stirrup. I have never had such determination to stay on a horse! I somehow got his head up (probably in a very un bhs manner I imagine) and got myself back. I had to then physically free my foot.

Dread to think what would have happened :( and lesson was learnt, would not ride (with a saddle) in unsuitable footwear again.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yes and it was my own fault for wearing hunter wellies. I was riding a sharp horse in a school and he had a major spook/paddy and my foot went right through. It took a couple of minutes to get him back to walk and then I managed to slide the leather off the saddle (thank god for a well worn saddle). It was incredibly scary as I could have come off at any moment, was on my own and the school was away from the yard.
I don't think I have ever been so frightened in a school and I have never ridden in wellies (or any other inappropriate footwear) since! As I'm riding other people's at the moment, don't always have the option of safety stirrups but when I do get my own again, we will be having them.
On the other side of the coin, like Rhino I had a horse come down on me on the road (jumped sideways and slipped on seeing a bus for the first time ever) but unlike Rhino the solid stirrup held out and saved my foot which was underneath him.