Ever have one of those days where you just can't ride?

Pidge

Visit site
Don't think it helps I'm so tired
frown.gif
jumped Pidge last night and he was really good and we jumped 3' without even thinking about it
grin.gif
However tonight he was so keen it was very tiring
frown.gif
first couple of canters were quick
smirk.gif
and then eventually after taking a break for a couple of mins we did some reasonable work.
However feel really peed off about this flatwork lark, is it too much to ask just to be able to canter round in a reasonable outline and reasonable pace
crazy.gif
Pidge sometimes is to clever and anticipates an exercise we are working on and pops himself into canter when we get to the point where I'm thinking of asking for it!
Sorry for rambling but am so tired, fed up, mentally exhausted from having 2 job interviews this week, would love to have the time to go food shopping or do the housework as the house is a pit and now I can't even ride
mad.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Take the pressure off! Yesterday I had a bloody awful ride, P was argumentative and the more I pushed it, the more I was riding badly, the more she reacted, etc, etc, etc, so I ended my ride and put the session away and rode this morning and started afresh. It would be wonderful if every ride was the perfect picture of woman and beast joined in perfect harmony, sadly that is rarely the case!

Pidge

Visit site
don't know how to Lou as if I don't do things they don't get done
frown.gif
Just fed up of doing everything for myself I suppose and this then reflects on my riding
frown.gif
frown.gif
Doesn't help that I know if I could ride better a lot of Pidge's problems would disappear
frown.gif

I just can't see us ever mastering the canter
frown.gif

EventingMad

Visit site
Yeap quite often!
Now i just tend to end the session on the best i can start again the next day .As i have worked out it is doing neither of us any good to carry on!

hadfos

Visit site
yep
grin.gif
,more often that not
frown.gif
,well not strictly true,not doing too badly at mo!!
Had same with my lad...very clever,tried long time ago to teach flying changes...only did it on a couple of occasions and the little beggar started skipping and messing about quarter of the way across the diagonal,lol...he also learnt that after we had done canter work we had finished
crazy.gif
..my fault...have now got over this and the amount of varied work i have to do to stop him anticipating what is next is unbelievable.lol....however when out hacking i can say to my followers and....(he has stopped all ready,pmsl)down to walk!!
Tomorrow is another day
grin.gif
,we all have them!!
smile.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I try not to think of it like that! I make mistakes whilst I'm riding, everyone does, but I try hard not to think of it in the way of "I can't ride!" (however true that may be!) It becomes a vicious circle and is extremely demoralising!
If things are going wrong, move on, find something to do that doesn't go wrong! The more you concentrate on something the worse it will get!
Horse riding is fun, otherwise why do we do it, of course you want to get better, but don't lose sight of why you ride in the first place!
Hen anticipates canter sometimes, as soon as he starts doing it, he doesn't canter until he will do all his trot/walk/halt/direct transitions without even the slightest hint of canter. If that doesn't happen then we just won't canter for that session.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Edited after reading your other posts - You have to not think of it as "If I don't do it, it won't get done" otherwise you are piling pressure on yourselves to be amazing! Sometimes things (especially horses!) have to get alot worse before they get better!
If it's any comfort, I can guarantee you me and my horse are far worse when it comes to canter!
grin.gif

Pidge

Visit site
I know and I'm such a bad mum as I get so frustrated I then tell Pidge off which is usually just a slap of the reins on his neck as he is a sensitive soul
smirk.gif
and then we have a chill out for 5 minutes. However this makes me feel even worse as I know its me that causes the problems not him and then I feel crap for telling him off
frown.gif
Just feel like I don't deserve him and he deserves someone who would appreciated him better than I do
frown.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Because of this I try to vary the work we do as does my instructor, yet tonight he was so up for it, and after only two shallow loops at trot with cantering on the first part in counter canter he knew what he was doing and popped himself into catner the 3rd time
frown.gif

Sis tried to help by reminding me that is only just a year since he had the all clear from his hock spavin and to be grateful he is sound and obviously fit and well, but it is just so tiring at times
frown.gif

Pidge

Visit site
ooh dear
blush.gif
see Pidge loves his canter but a quick canter so would rather razz round than go nicely in a reasonable outline! Sometimes we get it right and its lovely and then other times its eeep
shocked.gif

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Because of this I try to vary the work we do as does my instructor, yet tonight he was so up for it, and after only two shallow loops at trot with cantering on the first part in counter canter he knew what he was doing and popped himself into catner the 3rd time
frown.gif

Sis tried to help by reminding me that is only just a year since he had the all clear from his hock spavin and to be grateful he is sound and obviously fit and well, but it is just so tiring at times
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
we all have them...and he will sense if you not completely with it
crazy.gif
they all do...best thing is to work on something that is going well and finish on a good note
grin.gif
,if i am in a mood(or not in the right frame of mind) i dont even get on my boy these days,lol,lunge instead...i too have lost my temper with my boy in the past and felt as guilty as hell and it was all down to the way i felt
confused.gif
poor boy...these days if things not going well i go back to what he was doing well and get it going real well and call it a day....as i said above 2morrow is another day
smile.gif

Horses are horses hon and we can have this for weeks
frown.gif
...but you will get there
smile.gif

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You've not seen our canter then
tongue.gif
I can assure you it's terrible!

One of my last test sheets said "Lovely walk and trot, but he really doesn't like canter does he!" I just had to laugh and agree!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
snap,lol...we had a great canter and shitty trot...now we have an awesome trot and canter gone tits up???
confused.gif
bloody horses,lol
grin.gif
now have to work sooooo hard at the canter...feels like we getting nowhere but it will come
grin.gif
(lose trot again then,pmsl
shocked.gif
grin.gif
)!!!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ever have one of those days where you just can't ride?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frequently!
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

But hey, every day is a new day
laugh.gif
so please don't get hung up on one day. I think the best thing is to just go and enjoy yourself for each ride, without worrying too much
smile.gif
Remember, we do, do this for enjoyment
smile.gif

H x

Pidge

Visit site
well he definately knew something wasn't right as when going round at trot his ears were back rather than flopped to the side
frown.gif
I do think however I'm trying too hard as have got a mini ODE next weekend and need to do canter in a dressage test
crazy.gif
so am getting worked up about that already
frown.gif

Pidge

Visit site
I now Pups and to think it's only a year since he had the all clear from his hock and to see how fit and well he is and how much he is loving life I should be singing from the rooftops! However I just feel like I'm letting him down by my riding and he could do so well if I wasn't riding him
frown.gif

dozzie

Visit site
I have this when I am really tired too. I usually battle for a while and then realise I am doing more harm than good so get off and leave it for another day!
smile.gif

bex1984

Visit site
*gives Pidge a hug*

Someone's signature on here says
"there are only two emotions that belong in the saddle: patience and a sense of humour"
I try and remember that when I ride! I think I need a lot of both because a) I can't actually ride and b) Murphy is a clever little monster.

Last night he was being argumentative in the school and wouldn't listen to me, so I took him out in the fields, made him work properly for 10 mins and then went for a blast and jumped some logs. Sometimes I think it's better just to leave it for that day and come back afresh.

Don't put yourself down so much, he always looks so happy in your pics and at the end of the day, all that matters is a healthy, happy horse and a smile on your face.

alsxx

Visit site
Oh all the time! Last night was one of those occaisons - went for hack and despite everything I tried she would NOT listen to me (think u-bend outline and marching), kept shying really violently and was just generally awful - instead of sorting her out I rode like a complete tit!

Actually all our hacking seems to be like this lately - the schooling on the other hand is getting better and better. So know how you feel!!

Pidge

Visit site
thanks Bex
grin.gif
hug much needed
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Don't put yourself down so much, he always looks so happy in your pics and at the end of the day, all that matters is a healthy, happy horse and a smile on your face.

[/ QUOTE ] thanks for noticing that it's made me smile
smile.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Read your sig!!! Not that the first part was ever true. Take him out for a hack, with your sisi if that helps, chill and have fun. I'm leaving work early to do just that and think you should too.
smile.gif

Rachntabby

Term Time: Manchester Holiday: Stoke-on-Trent
Visit site
i do all the time especially today as i was jumping with one of the YM daughters and the other one(my instructor) was watching and i could not ride at all
tabs was getting stressed and instead of calming myself down (i hate people watching me)i was getting very tense so i just decided to get a nice trot then finish and book myself some lessons

p.s mine and tabs canter is by far the worse!