Everyday saddlecloth help...

montanna

Visit site
I need some recommendations for some quality every-day saddlecloths.

They need to be dark colours, dressage cut, the thin cotton type so as not to affect saddle fit but also super hard wearing & wash well as we have an industrial washing machine at the yard that is not kind to saddlecloths! Pref high wither version, full size.

Recommendations?

vallin

Visit site
I have mostly ecogold and le mieux and am impressed by both, my other favourite is an old faithful barnsby grip pad that has lasted forever!

Tnavas

Visit site
My recommendation - Don't use one at all. If you have a leather saddle it takes just a couple of minutes to clean the underside.

My dressage saddle is 38years old and still going strong. The leather is well conditioned and has always been cleaned after each ride. I have just gifted the saddle to one of my pupils as it fits her pony well and I know she will continue to care for it.

If your saddle fits it really doesn't need anything else under it. No numnah ever stays in the right place and will be pulling against the wither soon after you start riding. Liken it to wearing a pair of socks that drift down to your ankles and then to your toes.

A saddle that fits your horse correctly, with no numnah allows air to flow through the channel keeping the horses back cool. The saddle comes with padding - a numnah or sheepskin is certainly not going to increase protection.

Walrus

Visit site
My recommendation - Don't use one at all. If you have a leather saddle it takes just a couple of minutes to clean the underside.

My dressage saddle is 38years old and still going strong. The leather is well conditioned and has always been cleaned after each ride. I have just gifted the saddle to one of my pupils as it fits her pony well and I know she will continue to care for it.

If your saddle fits it really doesn't need anything else under it. No numnah ever stays in the right place and will be pulling against the wither soon after you start riding. Liken it to wearing a pair of socks that drift down to your ankles and then to your toes.

A saddle that fits your horse correctly, with no numnah allows air to flow through the channel keeping the horses back cool. The saddle comes with padding - a numnah or sheepskin is certainly not going to increase protection.

I would argue that I have plenty of shoes I wouldn't wear without socks, however that doesn't mean they don't fit.

I have just discovered le mieux and can't believe how good the fit is.

noname

Visit site
I would argue that I have plenty of shoes I wouldn't wear without socks, however that doesn't mean they don't fit.

Agree, most saddlers say a good fitting saddle should have a thin pad underneath. The Hkm standard ones are really good value for money about £15-20 and last ages. Lots of colours too. Love lemieux also.

Tnavas

Visit site

Except that the underside of a saddle is all smooth lines no Serbs as you would find in shoes.

Do people not realise that until the mid '70's few people used numnahs or saddle blankets. Apart from VERY expensive sheepskin the type we have now didn't exist.

montanna

Visit site
Thanks all. Have had a look at the LeMieux, have my eye on the grey one which I may just have to have! But a little pricey as I need to buy 5 or 6. Should have mentioned that in my original post really!

Has anyone had any experience of the mark todds? Seen some from an ebay shop for £25 - more my sort of budget? Or HKM??

Have just bought a dressage saddle for my 4yo that no jumping saddle ever made will fit and have about four million GP/SJ pads but the grand total of 3 dressage pads left from my old horse, two of which are no good as they are too thick (if anyone is interested in 2 x HKM gently pads + matching bandages let me know!). The saddle fitting woes I have had with her have been a total nightmare, saddle was fitted with a thin pad, gel pad and a fairfax girth (which I tried before in a long length and didn't rate but with this saddle has been a lifesaver) so I don't want to change anything in case saddle goes walkabout again! I would always want to use a saddlecloth to protect underside of my *ridiculouslyexpensivefora4yohadtotakeoutanewmortgage* saddle from getting sweaty & prevent against any pinching/rubbing from girth straps anyhow.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I use eskadron cotton pads as every day. They were the only ones that didn't slip on my last horse. I have found them good quality and they wash well. Are about £25 too so the right price

Sneedy

Visit site
The HKM ones are great for everyday use, I've had some for years and they wash well and still look good. There's also a good selection of colours ��

The Eskadron ones are great too, but bit more money than HKM. I didn't get on with Le Mieux, found they slipped back a bit?!

montanna

Visit site
Thanks guys. Where does one buy their HKM? Annnnd where can I get Eskadron for £25 - everywhere I have seen them for £30++? Pref somewhere that doesn't sting you on the postage or is happy to combine postage if I buy a few. Need pointers please!! I have been used to Equiport so this is a whole new world for me!

I am not into the whole bandage matchy thing really so not fussed about loads of different colours - my kind of matchy is black/grey as it matches everything & doesn't mark!!

She says having seen a loooovely banana set that would look AMAZING on baby pone... ! Maybe I could dip a toe in the matchiness for lessons...

Sneedy

Visit site
Have a look on eBay! I get my HKM ones from the 'Horse Heaven' ebay shop, very good selection and quick delivery.

You may get some Eskadron bargains on eBay too ��