Ewe nuts anyone used them?

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Its been suggested that I use EWE nuts for my horse and pony.Anyone here used them in place of pony cubes?? Ive been told they are basically the same but cheaper.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Our pony nuts are cheaper than the Harpers ewe nuts that we keep in stock (that's per Kg price). A bag of pony nuts shouldn't set you back more than £6, and depending on workload should last at least a week - that's less than £1 per day...

Cuffey

Visit site
Ewe nuts will have higher protein and the minerals wont be the correct balance for a horse.

If you just feed a handful I would not be too worried but if you are feeding a couple of kgs a day not so sure.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
You must be very careful as there may be some additives in ewe nuts that would be toxic to horses. Find out what is in them first and ask your vet if they are safe to feed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You must be very careful as there may be some additives in ewe nuts that would be toxic to horses. Find out what is in them first and ask your vet if they are safe to feed.

There will be more copper in sheep feed than horses need. Sheep should not eat horse feed, as it will be deficient in copper for them. If you want to feed something which is better for your horse and possibly cheaper, try grassnuts.

Leaf

Visit site
Can't quote as on phone! But opposite way round sheep need low copper 15pmm or less preferably horses need 20 times more.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Why would anybody want to feed sheep feed to a horse? if people can't afford to buy proper feed or don't want to pay for it simple sell the horse. End off

Tnavas

Visit site
It's definately not safe to feed ewe nuts to a horse, the composition and balance is not suitable. Many years ago when grass nuts first came on the market I fed them to my horse with adverse results - they contained urea and this is not good for horses. They had been produced for dairy cows.

There are plenty of horse specific foods on the market that are far safer for your horse.

cptrayes

Visit site
There will be more copper in sheep feed than horses need. Sheep should not eat horse feed, as it will be deficient in copper for them. If you want to feed something which is better for your horse and possibly cheaper, try grassnuts.

Wrong way round. Sheep can't eat copper. Sheep feed is too low in copper for horses, adn very high in protein.

cptrayes

Visit site
Why would anybody want to feed sheep feed to a horse? if people can't afford to buy proper feed or don't want to pay for it simple sell the horse. End off

For the same reason that I use human's glucosamine, human's MSM, human's ranitidine, human's shampoo, baby nappy cream, baby wet wipes, sheep or cattle wormer, formaldehyde not Keratex (though I don't actually use either any more), dettol/vinegar as fly spray, hydrogen peroxide as a wound wash, aqueous cream as hoof oil, calcined magnesite instead of a branded "calmer" etc etc etc

Because anything marked with a horse gets marked up to a totally ridiculous extent!

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
cptrayes and that'smygirl are of course quite right, my brain is fuzzy tonight! I would be extremely careful about feeding glucosamine whether made for humans or otherwise, if it comes from shellfish, after a very bad experience. Any-one who wants details, feel free to pm, it's a long story!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It's a bit different, useing human shampoo, nappy cream etc to feed which is not at all balanced for the horses system. Vit/min supple is important and should be as well balanced as we can do, sheep have totally different needs to a horse and there for needs different balanced feeds. There's so far you can go with useing products non horsey but don't believe feed should be messed with.

Tiggy1

Visit site
No dont feed. Totally wrong composition.
Most feed companies are now doing economy mixes / nuts for horses feed one of those.
I tried feeding lamb creep feed to chickens and they all got the squits!!

cptrayes

Visit site
It's a bit different, useing human shampoo, nappy cream etc to feed which is not at all balanced for the horses system. Vit/min supple is important and should be as well balanced as we can do, sheep have totally different needs to a horse and there for needs different balanced feeds. There's so far you can go with useing products non horsey but don't believe feed should be messed with.

yes, but the question was why would anyone want to use sheep feed, and the answer is price. It contains pretty much the same stuff as horse feed, but is cheaper than branded horse feed by a long way. Instead of feeding it, though, it would be better to source "own brand" horse and pony cubes like those sold by my local agricultural merchant.

glenruby

Visit site
having tubed many a pony ater a feed of sheep feed - dont do it. A small amount probably wouldnt do any real harm but if you are only feeding small amounts of concs then horse feed wouldnt be that expensive. If you feed larger amounts then it becomes very risky - the composition is not the same as horse feed and not suitable for horses. You'd end up paying the difference on a balanced vit and mineral supplement and extra copper anyway.

Alfiem

Visit site

There is LESS copper in sheep feed, as sheep have a high sensitivity to copper.

Why on earth would you want to feed sheep feed to horses?? Pony nuts are actually cheaper and have been formulated for the animal in mind.:rolleyes:

Bit like these showing bods who use beef fattening feed and wonder why everything goes down with laminitis:mad:

blitznbobs

Visit site
Oh and don't use aqueous cream either ... If you saw the studies on what it does to human skin you'd understand why .... IT IS A SOAP SUBSTITUTE NOT A MOISTURISER