Ewell Village Stables

Dante44

Visit site
Hello - I’m hoping someone can give me some information about a stables in Ewell Village near Epsom in the 60s/70s.
I found a thread on here from years back so fingers crossed.
It was run by Shep (William Balman) who I think had only one leg.
Mike007 if you see this please get in touch

Surbie

Visit site
If it's the one I am thinking of, they used to have bags of manure at the end of the drive to the stables for people to take. It's long gone for development isn't it? A friend grew up on the Epsom racing yards and might be able to give some info - is it anything in particular you want to find out? I don't think they ever rode there though, too busy with the racehorses.

Dante44

Visit site
If it's the one I am thinking of, they used to have bags of manure at the end of the drive to the stables for people to take. It's long gone for development isn't it? A friend grew up on the Epsom racing yards and might be able to give some info - is it anything in particular you want to find out? I don't think they ever rode there though, too busy with the racehorses.
Yes that’s the one! Long gone now. Shep was a great gambling man and knew a lot racing folk which is how we got to know him. I was only two at the time and visited for a couple of years so the memories are a little fuzzy ??
I would really love some photos as well as stories. All to do with the history of yards in Epsom.

reynold

Visit site
I lived in Epsom during that period and remember the stables but never went/rode there.

I rode at Warren Farm Stables from 1962 to 1967 when it closed after the death of the owner Mick Savage. (It was just off Warren Road by Drift Bridge). There was also a riding school/stables on Ruden Way where the Audi dealer is now.

Both the proprietor of this stables and Mick Savage were ex-military. Mick served with Colonel Sir Mike Ansell who used to run/organise the Royal International (and Horse of the Year Show) in London iirc.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Hello - I’m hoping someone can give me some information about a stables in Ewell Village near Epsom in the 60s/70s.
I found a thread on here from years back so fingers crossed.
It was run by Shep (William Balman) who I think had only one leg.
Mike007 if you see this please get in touch

I think “Bob notacob” is Mike007 after he had issues accessing his previous account. He was on the forum on Monday so you could try direct messaging him.

Dante44

Visit site
I lived in Epsom during that period and remember the stables but never went/rode there.

I rode at Warren Farm Stables from 1962 to 1967 when it closed after the death of the owner Mick Savage. (It was just off Warren Road by Drift Bridge). There was also a riding school/stables on Ruden Way where the Audi dealer is now.

Both the proprietor of this stables and Mick Savage were ex-military. Mick served with Colonel Sir Mike Ansell who used to run/organise the Royal International (and Horse of the Year Show) in London iirc.
Thank you so much. I actually went on to train with The Colonel. There were some good riding stables in the area.

TTK

Visit site
I used to hang around Ewell Village stables and ride there in the mid 1960s. At that time, we could ride up to Epsom Downs and all round the back of Nonsuch Park. There was a lot more farmland then. Shep had his favourite horse which, possibly, he may have brought from the army. I remember the huge vat of sugar beet soaking. And us kids smoking No10 round the back. Happy days

Edited to add, I also rode a lot at Coombe Hill.

Dante44

Visit site
Yes, the poor man only had one leg. Also remember that in, probably, the late 1980s, it became a builders yard. So sad.
Thank you! I’m really trying to find photos of all the old yards in Epsom hopefully someone will find this link who still has some ?

Baywonder

Visit site
I'm not really sure if this is any use to you @Dante44 (and apologies if you have seen this already).

I have just looked on this website: www.francisfrith.com There are quite a few very old photographs of Ewell. As far as I can see, there is only one photograph entitled "Ewell, Horses In The Pond, Old Village, c1965" 99/134

It shows a few horses standing in the pond being ridden - not sure if this is what you are looking for? There is also a 'Memories' tab in the Ewell section - and a couple of people have mentioned Shep and the village Blacksmith. it might be worth popping a message on there to see if anyone can help you further with your search. :)

Dante44

Visit site
I'm not really sure if this is any use to you @Dante44 (and apologies if you have seen this already).

I have just looked on this website: www.francisfrith.com There are quite a few very old photographs of Ewell. As far as I can see, there is only one photograph entitled "Ewell, Horses In The Pond, Old Village, c1965" 99/134

It shows a few horses standing in the pond being ridden - not sure if this is what you are looking for? There is also a 'Memories' tab in the Ewell section - and a couple of people have mentioned Shep and the village Blacksmith. it might be worth popping a message on there to see if anyone can help you further with your search. :)
Thank you so much I have done as you suggest so ??

Chianti

Visit site
I remember the stables from when I was a child. We lived in Epsom and if we drove past the stables I would always look to try to see the horses. There were quite a few yards around Epsom and Ewell in those days, including a racing yard just out of Epsom on the road up to the Downs. You would often pass the horses going to or from the Downs. Have you tried the local newspaper - I think the Epsom and Ewell Advertiser? They might have stories and photos on file.

Dante44

Visit site
I remember the stables from when I was a child. We lived in Epsom and if we drove past the stables I would always look to try to see the horses. There were quite a few yards around Epsom and Ewell in those days, including a racing yard just out of Epsom on the road up to the Downs. You would often pass the horses going to or from the Downs. Have you tried the local newspaper - I think the Epsom and Ewell Advertiser? They might have stories and photos on file.
That’s a very good idea, thank you

reynold

Visit site
The Epsom and Ewell Herald was the local paper around then. Also try Surrey County Archives which I think is at Woking. Also the racing paper back then was the Sporting Life

I've got mixed memories of that era as I was a teenager around the late 60s.

Some of the below may give you other things to google.
---------

There were 3 yards within about 1/4 mile of Epsom town center. One on Grove Road near the parish church and 2 on Ashley Road, Caithness Stables and Portland House Stables, both built on in the 90s. Portland House had a 'character' irishman called Ted Riley running it as a livery yard for years.

Up Burgh Heath Road you'll come to Mospey House which was Vic Smyth's house (Epsom spelt backwards with a Y on the end). Mospey Crescent was built on his paddock in the early 60's. His son Ron Smyth trained for years at Clear Heights stables above the cemetary (now Simon Dow I think).

Priam Lodge is next and is a very historic yard which in part is listed. At that time the trainer was Tommy Gosling who was an ex-jockey and had a metal plate in his head after a fall. After he left it became home in the 80s to the Russian Horse Society when russian horses were the 'in' fad.

South Hatch is next. In the early 60s it was home to Walter Nightingale who trained for the best including Dorothy Padget. In the 60s he trained an albino racehorse I used to see out at exercise called Mont Blanc. After that the yard was home to Scobie Breasley until he retired. It was then run as livery yard by June Eastwell and then became home to Reg Akehurst (I think it's now Jim Boyle but not sure). South Hatch was always considered a 'lucky' yard.

Above that is Wendover Stables, then home to Arthur Pitt but now a livery yard.
There were 2 other yards opposite but I don't remember their names or trainers.
Around the corner opening onto the downs near the golf club is a small yard used by showjumper Kim Suttee in that era.

Treadwell Road had 3 yards on it. One I recall nothing about. The one nearest Priam Lodge was used by Harold Wallington and the one further along by the rifle butts leading to the downs was run by an Australian and had 2 or more wallabies there. All 3 yards were built on in the early 70s.

There is Tattenham Corner Stables, still a racing yard today right by the 5 furlong start and of course the famous Durdans stables with the listed indoor school once part of Lord Rosebery's estate. The Durdans has had a chequered history with various trainers there, allowed to run down and recently restored (as listed) I saw it for sale a couple of years ago.

In Langley Vale village there was a racing yard on Rosebery Road that became a livery and then built on. I don't know anymore about it. Also there was Mannamead Stables, home to the mounted Police. At the end of the roads there is the victorian house with the tower/turret that was used to watch the Derby in the 19th century.

Downs House in the middle of the Downs by the Derby start was home to Philip Mitchell and before him Stanley Wotton. A famous winner owned by Peter O'Sullevan was trained there (Attivo???). Stanley Wotton I think was responsible for the Downs being kept an open space.

At the end of Langley Vale is Woodruffe Stables, now a livery yard but in that era home to John Sutcliffe. Opposite is a small yard, Chalk Pit Stables, set up by Brooke Sanders in that era, one of the first woman jockeys. Last time I passed it was shut up but still there. Cedar Point next to Woodruffe is a modern yard and not there in the 70s.

Down the Sheep Walk (part of Ermine Street the roman road) is Thirty Acre Barn that Geoff Lewis bought and trained from using the proceeds from winning the Derby on Mill Reef. Opposite is Ermine Lodge but don't remember anything about that. John Bensted trained from the yard above Ermine with the lime tree avenue leading to it I think.

Loretta Lodge is just down the road and was home and built by Brian Swift and named after his wife.

Finally a bit out of the area on the A217 at Kingswood was Clock Tower Stables. It was built in the early 60s as a racing yard and the training gallops were on Walton Heath, with the round gallop there dolled off so the hacks couldn't use it in that era. Clock Tower became a riding school and livery yard in the mid-70s and has now been converted to housing.

Also worth looking for is pictures of Six Mile Hill gallops in that era when Ebbisham Lane from Walton-on-the-Hill carried on as a road across the downs leading to Tattenham Corner.

Sorry for the long brain dump. Hope some of it may be useful to you.

Dante44

Visit site
The Epsom and Ewell Herald was the local paper around then. Also try Surrey County Archives which I think is at Woking. Also the racing paper back then was the Sporting Life

I've got mixed memories of that era as I was a teenager around the late 60s.

Some of the below may give you other things to google.
---------

There were 3 yards within about 1/4 mile of Epsom town center. One on Grove Road near the parish church and 2 on Ashley Road, Caithness Stables and Portland House Stables, both built on in the 90s. Portland House had a 'character' irishman called Ted Riley running it as a livery yard for years.

Up Burgh Heath Road you'll come to Mospey House which was Vic Smyth's house (Epsom spelt backwards with a Y on the end). Mospey Crescent was built on his paddock in the early 60's. His son Ron Smyth trained for years at Clear Heights stables above the cemetary (now Simon Dow I think).

Priam Lodge is next and is a very historic yard which in part is listed. At that time the trainer was Tommy Gosling who was an ex-jockey and had a metal plate in his head after a fall. After he left it became home in the 80s to the Russian Horse Society when russian horses were the 'in' fad.

South Hatch is next. In the early 60s it was home to Walter Nightingale who trained for the best including Dorothy Padget. In the 60s he trained an albino racehorse I used to see out at exercise called Mont Blanc. After that the yard was home to Scobie Breasley until he retired. It was then run as livery yard by June Eastwell and then became home to Reg Akehurst (I think it's now Jim Boyle but not sure). South Hatch was always considered a 'lucky' yard.

Above that is Wendover Stables, then home to Arthur Pitt but now a livery yard.
There were 2 other yards opposite but I don't remember their names or trainers.
Around the corner opening onto the downs near the golf club is a small yard used by showjumper Kim Suttee in that era.

Treadwell Road had 3 yards on it. One I recall nothing about. The one nearest Priam Lodge was used by Harold Wallington and the one further along by the rifle butts leading to the downs was run by an Australian and had 2 or more wallabies there. All 3 yards were built on in the early 70s.

There is Tattenham Corner Stables, still a racing yard today right by the 5 furlong start and of course the famous Durdans stables with the listed indoor school once part of Lord Rosebery's estate. The Durdans has had a chequered history with various trainers there, allowed to run down and recently restored (as listed) I saw it for sale a couple of years ago.

In Langley Vale village there was a racing yard on Rosebery Road that became a livery and then built on. I don't know anymore about it. Also there was Mannamead Stables, home to the mounted Police. At the end of the roads there is the victorian house with the tower/turret that was used to watch the Derby in the 19th century.

Downs House in the middle of the Downs by the Derby start was home to Philip Mitchell and before him Stanley Wotton. A famous winner owned by Peter O'Sullevan was trained there (Attivo???). Stanley Wotton I think was responsible for the Downs being kept an open space.

At the end of Langley Vale is Woodruffe Stables, now a livery yard but in that era home to John Sutcliffe. Opposite is a small yard, Chalk Pit Stables, set up by Brooke Sanders in that era, one of the first woman jockeys. Last time I passed it was shut up but still there. Cedar Point next to Woodruffe is a modern yard and not there in the 70s.

Down the Sheep Walk (part of Ermine Street the roman road) is Thirty Acre Barn that Geoff Lewis bought and trained from using the proceeds from winning the Derby on Mill Reef. Opposite is Ermine Lodge but don't remember anything about that. John Bensted trained from the yard above Ermine with the lime tree avenue leading to it I think.

Loretta Lodge is just down the road and was home and built by Brian Swift and named after his wife.

Finally a bit out of the area on the A217 at Kingswood was Clock Tower Stables. It was built in the early 60s as a racing yard and the training gallops were on Walton Heath, with the round gallop there dolled off so the hacks couldn't use it in that era. Clock Tower became a riding school and livery yard in the mid-70s and has now been converted to housing.

Also worth looking for is pictures of Six Mile Hill gallops in that era when Ebbisham Lane from Walton-on-the-Hill carried on as a road across the downs leading to Tattenham Corner.

Sorry for the long brain dump. Hope some of it may be useful to you.
You are an absolute star! Tommy Gosling was a great family friend and I knew most of the racing yards as my parents had horses in training. I kept my ponies at the Clock Tower, (I couldn’t remember the name so thank you), and Huntersfield before getting my own yard in Mogador. We lost our gallops when the A217/M25 slip road was built and I left to ride in Yorkshire.
I seem to remember a yard on Ebbisham Lane and another in Kingswood/Headley area run by a chap whose name escapes me.
There’s Ermyn Lodge Stud, that Pat Phelan has now which John Sutcliffe and Jack Reardon trained from.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and igniting some wonderful memories.
It is a sad fact of life that being so close to London, housing is more lucrative than the equestrian history

reynold

Visit site
The yard on Ebbisham Lane was Wingfield Farm. During that period it was owned by a bookie called Frank Pearson. Just down from that there is a small yard down a long drive that overlooks Six Mile Hill and has no mains electricity. I think that was used for training.

I spent time with a NH permit holder in the yard behind the forge in Headley. He was called Walter King and the Epsom Trainers Group wouldn't let him use the training gallops on the downs or the schooling fences at Langley Vale Farm as he was 'only' a permit holder. He trained his horses up Box Hill instead and had a few winners.

Malcolm Jolly from the 80s to now has the front yard behind the forge. I don't know who has the rear yard where Wally was.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The yard on Ebbisham Lane was Wingfield Farm. During that period it was owned by a bookie called Frank Pearson. Just down from that there is a small yard down a long drive that overlooks Six Mile Hill and has no mains electricity. I think that was used for training.

I spent time with a NH permit holder in the yard behind the forge in Headley. He was called Walter King and the Epsom Trainers Group wouldn't let him use the training gallops on the downs or the schooling fences at Langley Vale Farm as he was 'only' a permit holder. He trained his horses up Box Hill instead and had a few winners.

Malcolm Jolly from the 80s to now has the front yard behind the forge. I don't know who has the rear yard where Wally was.
The small yard on the long drive at the end of Ebbisham lane is/was Downsview Farm, a friend owned it from late 70s to late 90s, hardly any turnout then but had long waiting list for liveries.
I did the 1st bit of BHS training at Huntersfield when Jo Taylor and Pauline Voss were there (i was there 79/80)

reynold

Visit site
I predate you at Huntersfield. I rode there from 67 to 73 with the same owners and by 72 I was riding on the staff lessons on Jo's horse Erica Jane and Pauline's horse Venture and an arab of theirs called Nico that I loved dearly. The trainers then were Marie Stokes and sometimes Carol Green.

I then went onto Clock Tower and took my stage 1 and 2 there before buying my first horse and having him there on livery from 80 to 82 before moving to Headley.

I finally got my AI in 85 at Crabbett in Crawley, another place that is now concrete and housing.

Sad that the trend is still continuing with so many good yards being turned into housing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Royal Venture and Erica Jane were still going when I was there! Marion Borland was chief instructor then. I did my stage 3 and AI there and was with them when I did 4 and my intermediate teaching tho went across the country to do both the latter due to timing.