EX BREEDING BiTCH RESCUE😞

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
With the retired greyhounds that have lived their lives in kennels housetraining has been easy. Day one take them out every hour to where you want them to toilet (on lead), crate overnight so no accidents (they are not puppies so do have bladder control) day two take out every hour and a half, ditto crate overnight, day three take out every two hours. By this time all the greyhounds that I have had have been housetrained.

You have to watch carefully as they do not know how to ask to go out, you will learn your dog.

Good luck and happy times with your butter noodle.

Janique

Visit site
Thank you Bearsmum !

Today, vet check, ears and theeth needs doing, two fatty lumps one on the back the other one on the throat, ok at the moment,
need to keep an eye on them.

Wormer and vaccination, spaying will be done in a month, that will give her time to settle down before the op.

I got her a ramp to get in and out of the car, she understood quiet quickly, a piece of meat helped too.

Will try to post better photos soon.

Janique

Visit site
If anyone in Switzerland is interested, the breeder is looking for a nice home for Ratatouille, Nouille's 5years old daughter !

To see her, go to Clos des Héllébores.com

Janique

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I need your advices, feeling a bit lost, i have had Nouille ( 7 years old basset hound) since Saturday and i think i did too much with her, over tiring her....

She was born at the kennel and lived there all her life so she doesn't know much but isn't frightened of any things
apart of horses which might be a good thing.

Since, i'v got her, i took her eveywhere with me and she was quiet happy to follow, i also let her rest when she needed and
she like having a nap in the car while i do the horses.

She also rest during the day, she is ok to be left at home for two hours, she stay quiet and doesn't bark or anything.

I know that she is older and she isn't used to be around so much, in the kennels, i think she is used to sleep most of the day, don't think
they took the dogs anywhere or did anything with them

She had a litter aged two and since then the breeder couldn't get her to breed again, so i think she was a bit neglected health wise.

She has been clean and i have been very careful take her out regulary, so far so good.

The vet check wasn't very good, she has bad theet, fungus in her ears, and is full of worms.

I guess, it's hard for her being a bit run down, changing homes, all she ever knew has changed, it's probably at bit too much tbh...

I give her the same food that the breeder did, she eats ok but isn't so keen on food.

And that's where the problems start...

Tonight, i wanted to take her for a last short walk for her to pee but once outside she planted herself on all four and refused to move....
Just like a horse...

I tried to call her, tried with a tasty bit of sausage, nothing got her moving, she just pullet back to get back in....

I just hold her there and waited, i didn't want to be strong with her, i just stood there and waited, calling her, trying to get her moving.
But not a chance, she is 30kg and she knows it...

She just stood there, not moving, head down and didn't want to move, after a few minutes, i tried again then let her go back in.

So my question is, how can i get her to come if she isn't keen on food ?

She seems to know that i can't get her to do something if she doesn't want to, i didn't want to pull her around and get her into a stress.

I didn't want to break the trust with her and i felt quiet stupid not knowing what to do and with her just standing there....I guess, she is smarter than me.

It's the first time she does it, i know that it's my fault and i would appreciate your advices.

Hopefully, tomorrow is another day, i definitly will get her to rest more, when she is around, she is keen to see thing and interested, she seems to enjoy
doing things and is curious.

Earlier tonight, she ran down the stairs when she saw a cat, so i guess the cat is more intersting than me.

One thing, i know is that with a Basset, you also need to have a sens of hunour !
If my neighbourgs saw me, they probably had a good laugh !

I am keen to learn and get better, guess, to only way is forward ! ;)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ok so my literal first post on this thread, post #2 was to advise the OP's son not to do so much with a rescue dog.
I took on a very well adjusted/well travelled dog who'd known me his whole life and spent the first two weeks taking him up the lane, only to places he knew and feeding him by hand. Moving homes and living with new people is a big upheaval and stressor for a dog.

Here are some good graphics for advice:

333_843x.jpg
84a49cceba6f7129da4bd6a90dfab697b0fc6738.jpg

gallopingby

Visit site
It’s all very new for her and is going to take time. I’m sorry but for now you will have to go at her pace. She’s not used to being outside / going for lead walks so won’t see the point of that for quite some time. I’d try a variety of different food treats and see if you can find one she likes. Usually the smelly fish ones are well received! She could be in a little pain maybe from arthritis especially if she isn’t used to moving around a lot. It might be worth considering something like YuMove or asking you vet. With time she’ll get used to her new way of life. A doggy friend may also help to show her the ropes.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
A couple of greyhounds that I have rehomed have not been interested in food treats/rewards until well after they have settled in at home. Squeaky toy worked as an attraction but lasted seconds once in the dogs mouth.

Patience and taking things steady has worked best.

meleeka

Visit site
You wanted to take her out, she didn’t want to go and told you so. I don’t think that’s a huge problem. In fact, I’d be pleased that she’s confident enough to have an opinion! Does she need to go out? Perhaps make her last wee a bit earlier so she’s not as tired. Do you have a back garden where she can go without a lead?

Janique

Visit site
Hello thank you for your replies, it's been very helpfull.

I think she got scared last night, i don't know what really happen but i heard some noise, the neighbourg was there and the cat,
she ran behind the cat down the stairs.

Maybe a noise scared her or the door banging, i was too slow to react.

This morning, she again planted herself on top of the stairs and refused to move, something down there was scaring her.

I got some tasty treats and with patience and lot's of fuss, she came down ok, a bit unsure but we made it.

I made a very big fuss of her and she got into the car fine.

I will take it easier with her and ask the vet about Yumove, my friend is a excellent osthéopathe doing horses and dogs and he came by last night
to have a look at her. He said she was ok, a bit stiff in the neck, she loved him touching her and couldn't leave him alone.

I am moving house next Tuesday, ideally, i should have waited before moving but the breeder wasn't having it....

It's a nicer place, without any stairs ( as she get's older, it's going to be harder for her anyway), i will also have a small back yard where
she can go as she please.

Thank you for your help, it will take time and i will try not to make too many mistakes.

I have a friend with a nice dog, i will try to meet her so she can be with other dogs too, at the yard we had a nice gentle bitch
but Nouille told her to get lost very clearly when she came by, guess she was scared.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd be keeping her downstairs until you move. Planting is very often a pain response or bad association. If she's been kennelled her whole life and is stiff/has arthritis then stairs are something I would avoid.

Just because she 'can' doesn't mean it has to happen. Dogs do things at the time and then get sore later, they don't always make an immediate link.

Things like Yumove are 'as well as' not instead of rest and careful management, you just don't whack them on a supplement and then back to normal.

Moving is very stressful for any dog (and most humans) so factor that in next week.

If she is telling you she does not want canine company, listen. With the best will in the world, it all sounds too intense and busy for a dog you've only had less than a week.

Janique

Visit site
Thank you CorvusCorax,

She wasn't kennelled as such, i saw the big place they had to run around but you are right, it isn't the same.

As for Yumove, of course, i won't just give it to her and go back to normal, i know it needs careful management, i will ask the vet for advice.

I wanted to wait until the move but the breeder wasn't having it, i know it wasn't ideal but it couldn't be helped.

I can't really keep her downstairs as i live on the first floor (23 stairs, no lift ) but will take her down as little as possible but she needs to go down to pee.

As for canine compagny, you are right agian, will let her choose.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1000015748.jpg
    1000015748.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 51

Janique

Visit site
Hi again,

She has been fine to walk down the stairs today, i think she got over what ever happen with the cat last night.

Only till Monday night and no more stairs, so we will be alright.

I had to laugh today as someone came by to see my flat to rent and she was all over him, he nearly ran away...
He was sitting down and she kept putting her head between his legs, annoying him, she is definitly not shy.

Could be usefull with some hard core salesmen ! Having a 30kg basset dribbling sitting on your knee isn't their idea of fun !

Janique

Visit site
Thank you Skinnydipper,

Yes, i stopped her and moved her out of the way but i wanted him to leave and he didn't get it, so
she helped me in a way ;)

I have more people coming to see my flat, i will make sure she leaves them alone.

Janique

Visit site
Hello,

I moved to a place without stairs and Nouille is doing very well, she is much more energetic, my friend Michel
treated her and she is now walking great and has even started running.

It's will be two weeks tomorrow and it feels like she is always been here. She isn't sure still about cows and horses but she is getting there.

Thank you all for your advices.

Attachments

• 1000015944.jpg
    1000015944.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1000015948.jpg
    1000015948.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 39