Ex-Irish driving horse .. what do you know about them?

AmyJoy99

Visit site
Hi everyone,

So our new boy is a 12 year old Irish gelding who was , as far as we know, a driving pony in Ireland until fairly recently.

SO I'm wondering what you guys know about them in general? Does anyone here drive horses in Ireland?

Does anyone know what the voice commands are that they use? (he doesn't respond to whoa, and doesn't have a great stop on him so this would be interesting to know.)

Thanks!:)

stormox

Visit site
do you want him for driving or riding? I know a lot of Jarveys in Killarney who drive the jaunting carts round the national park,they just use same commands as in UK,click to go,whoa or steady to stop and slow down......
Driving horses, UK or Ireland, are likely to be quite stiff toride.

AmyJoy99

Visit site
do you want him for driving or riding? I know a lot of Jarveys in Killarney who drive the jaunting carts round the national park,they just use same commands as in UK,click to go,whoa or steady to stop and slow down......
Driving horses, UK or Ireland, are likely to be quite stiff toride.

He's actually from Killarney! And I'm just using him for riding. I think he just has an aversion to his bit as I've been told driven horses usually have their mouths yanked a lot , not sure if this is true. Anyhow, he's responding pretty well to just my seat and slight reinforcing with the bit to stop.
I have a feeling if he was all hooked up to his driving gear he'd respond a lot better. Do they tend to ride these driven horses in Killarney much?

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Commercial driving? Try 'and' as your half halt and 'stand' as your command. If not you might just have to retrain- I got a Dutch driving pony that only 'spoke' Dutch but he learnt my commands quick. We compromised on extended trot as his Dutch command was 'stretch' and I can manage that! My standard is 'and' as the half halt word, so 'and stand' 'and walk on' or 'and walk' if coming down. same for trot with 'and trot out' as extension and 'and collect' to collect, repeating 'out' each step if needed and clicking on the pace for collect, and then canter is 'and hup' 'change' and gallop simply 'out'.

Last edited:

melbiswas

Visit site
I chose to ride instead of travelling in the jaunting cart in Killarney last summer (from the lakes via the gap of Dunloe) as there were too many of us. The pony was an approx 14hh cob gelding who paid absolutely no attention whatsoever to any aids and simply copied the pace of the cart in front of him. Any slight contact with his mouth and he threw his head in the air. The route was clearly pre-set and the speed was determined by the Jarvey's voice control of the driven pony in front.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
He probably cannot understand English as it is spoken in England.
Do some long reining with an instructor who has broken horses in, and go from there.

Restarting him with the aid of an instructor is sensible advice, but I am shocked at how you phrased that first sentence!

goldenchestnut

Visit site
He's actually from Killarney! And I'm just using him for riding. I think he just has an aversion to his bit as I've been told driven horses usually have their mouths yanked a lot , not sure if this is true. Anyhow, he's responding pretty well to just my seat and slight reinforcing with the bit to stop.
I have a feeling if he was all hooked up to his driving gear he'd respond a lot better. Do they tend to ride these driven horses in Killarney much?

I can assure you that driven horses do not have their mouths yanked about, a drivers hands are very light and quiet.

touchstone

Visit site
I can assure you that driven horses do not have their mouths yanked about, a drivers hands are very light and quiet.

Well, that depends entirely on the driver! I've seen plenty of cobs driven full pelt with the driver leaning heavily on the reins

I've re-scooled a few and they are nearly all heavy on the forehand and unbalanced when first ridden. Plenty of schooling should have him lighter in the hand.

stormox

Visit site
The Jarveys in Killarney - both muckross and town, hardly ever need to touch their horses mouths, melbiwas is right, they know their job so well they are almost on autopilot. They certainly dont need to 'yank'them, or lean back pulling to stop. The horses do their job and the Jarvey gives the tourists the spiel. One of them is a particular friend of mine, and a top class horseman who show jumps as well. Your horse will be very good at standing,OP!

AmyJoy99

Visit site
The Jarveys in Killarney - both muckross and town, hardly ever need to touch their horses mouths, melbiwas is right, they know their job so well they are almost on autopilot. They certainly dont need to 'yank'them, or lean back pulling to stop. The horses do their job and the Jarvey gives the tourists the spiel. One of them is a particular friend of mine, and a top class horseman who show jumps as well. Your horse will be very good at standing,OP!

He is from Muckross :) I wonder if your friend knew him, haha!
See that's the surprising thing , he really isn't very good at standing still.

stormox

Visit site
But have you tried leaving him standing in his cart, with a headcollar and maybe a nosebag? they stand for hours like that, waiting fo a pick-up...... :D

melbiswas

Visit site
I have been trying to upload a video and photo of the gelding I rode but I'm failing dismally!!
I could email it if you wish?! Looking at the video he could have been 15hh.