Ex loaner refusing to return passport

Scheherezade

Visit site
We collected my horse from his loanee about 4/5 months ago now. She wasn't there; he was a complete state so no doubt she was hiding from us. She kept promising to send on his passport, then all went quiet, I had my baby and it got pushed to the back of my mind. I've since tried getting in touch with her and she just ignores our messages, she's deleted herself from my Facebook.

So what do I do? Ignore it? Threaten to escalate it to the police? Find out her home address and turn up unannounced?

Clippy

Visit site
You'll probably end up having to get a duplicate. Not the end of the world but very, very annoying!

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
I would find out address if possible and send a registered/recorded letter giving loaner 7 days to return the passport to you or you will seek legal action. Word it strongly!

ETA No idea how/what you could actually do if she doesn't send it but you do need evidence that you have contacted her if you want to take it further. Good luck

Elbie

Visit site
I'm assuming you will have to pay for a duplicate. Send her a strongly worded letter advising you will be going through the courts to seek recovery of the money if a duplicate is issued if she does not return YOUR property!

trick123

Visit site
I had this problem too, I got in touch with the passport people who the horse was registered to and explained the situation, they were very helpful, said they would write to the person and if the passport wasnt returned they would issue me with another one. it wasn't long before i got the passport back after that with a very snotty text but at least i got it back.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
When someone withheld my horses passport I rang the passport agency whom had issued it, I explianed to them that this person would not return it to me. As the passport remains the property of the passport agency they wrote to them requesting it back. Within a week the passport agency had received it and returned it to me.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
When someone withheld my horses passport I rang the passport agency whom had issued it, I explianed to them that this person would not return it to me. As the passport remains the property of the passport agency they wrote to them requesting it back. Within a week the passport agency had received it and returned it to me.

Wow didnt know that!!! Have filed that wee gem of info away should I ever need it thank you :)

OP I would suggest doing the above :) No contact and no issues for yourself :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Except you will still need to know the loaners address.... Unlikely that the passport agency will have loaner's details unless they were contacted when the horse was originally loaned.

Good Point :)

Would you not have that tho??? Any horse I ever loaned (2 in my life one short term (summer) one long term (9 years) ) the person came to my house and i signed an agreement with my name and address on it.

OP did you do this?? :)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Find out her home address and turn up unannounced?

I can't be the only one to go OOOOOOOOOOOOOO that you didn't already have addresses and all contact details for the loaner at the very start of the loan and took up references surely?
I'd be camping on her doorstep to get the passport back whether she likes it or not, it's theft if she doesn't return it.

Scheherezade

Visit site
She's moved house since loaning him, but I think the address on our agreement is her parents so I'll ring passport agency, thanks very much!!

sywell

Visit site
The passport is the property of the PIO who issued it get on to them and ask them to get it back or issue a replacement at their expenses if they are not willing to get it back. Your trading standers officer is the enforcement officer to act on your behalf you should not have to go to any expense. Do not be put off stick you toes in

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
She's moved house since loaning him, but I think the address on our agreement is her parents so I'll ring passport agency, thanks very much!!

I'd be inclined, as has been suggested, to contact the passport agency, saying that the parents address is the last known address of the loanee.

The parents probably have no idea of all of this, and if the passport people write to them and ask for the passport to be returned, it just might be one helluva shock to them and they'll then contact the daughter without you having to do anything???

So even if you don't have the current address of the loanee, might still be worth contacting the passport agency and then let them contact the "parents". You don't mind as long as your horses passport gets sent back to you!!!

Blimmin people. I had a loan disaster as well: mine was only on loan for five weeks before the loanee decided she "couldn't afford" it and so then I had to bring him back to my yard. But at least he was at a yard where he was well treated, I think I'd physically murder anyone who treated my boy badly.

Good luck!

scrunchie

Visit site
Blimmin people. I had a loan disaster as well: mine was only on loan for five weeks before the loanee decided she "couldn't afford" it and so then I had to bring him back to my yard. But at least he was at a yard where he was well treated, I think I'd physically murder anyone who treated my boy badly.

Doris was returned to me after 24 hours!!! :D:D:D

The lady that took her on loan offered to take Doris on for training (Doris has only been lightly backed) as she missed having horses and was happy to take on a project. She talked the talk so well that I agreed to it. However, Doris decided that she didn't like her and bucked her off continuously. She left a message on my answerphone the next morning saying that she was bringing her back.

I'm so glad she did. She obviously did not give Doris any time to settle in to her new surroundings before asking her to do things she wasn't used to. She evidently wasn't the great horse whisperer she had made herself out to be. :rolleyes:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Doris was returned to me after 24 hours!!! :D:D:D

However, Doris decided that she didn't like her and bucked her off continuously. She left a message on my answerphone the next morning saying that she was bringing her back.
rolleyes:

Ha ha LOL. Yep mine will do this too; he has a special corkscrew cum all-4-legs-off-ground-at-once buck reserved specially for people who "think they can ride". It doesn't take very long for them to discover they can't!!! :)

Horses, don't you just love' em.

Sorry realise I'm digressing from original thread.

AndiK

Visit site
Hi,

I would write to the loanee giving her 14 days from the date of said letter to return your passport. Tell her in the letter that if she fails to return your passport you will be forced to purchase a replacement and then you will take her to small claims court to claim any costs that you would incur as a result of her negligence. Inform her that she may be forced to not only repay your claim but any court costs incurred. Send it by recorded delivery and then track the letter. Print off the page when the signature is logged.

Mean while, find out how much a new passport will cost and log everything.

To file a claim with the small claims court it will cost you £35 (which you can claim back) and they will file papers to her.

I would do this as it is a matter of principle and the thought of leaving my horses passport with her would not sit easy with me. I would stress about it. At least going through the court you will get your papers back and and costs.

Good luck

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'd go with the Passport Issuers and see what happens but you might want to be prepared that she's lost the Passport as this happened to a friend of mine. You can contact the vet to find out about vaccinations, but I'd expect her to pay for the duplicate if she has lost the original. Good luck.

Fransurrey

Visit site
It costs around a hundred pounds to register a claim with Small Claims court, so it wouldn't take long for loanee to find out that and call your bluff. I'd go with advice above to go through passport agency.