Ex race horse to buy or not

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes. He was a bit broken but for a happy hacking home he was perfect for me. sometimes full of himself but loyal and trusting and a lot of fun :) They get a bad rep sadly!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've had a few - back in the days when I HAD to have a cheap horse. One gave me 6 months of napping and rearing before we came to an arrangement and went showjumping. (He ended up the best showjumper of his day in Australia - though not with me on him, lol.) One I bought as a rescue - he was dead quiet and a really nice happy hacker - though he roared like a bull! Soundness is the main problem - after ulcers!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've had a few - back in the days when I HAD to have a cheap horse. One gave me 6 months of napping and rearing before we came to an arrangement and went showjumping. (He ended up the best showjumper of his day in Australia - though not with me on him, lol.) One I bought as a rescue - he was dead quiet and a really nice happy hacker - though he roared like a bull! Soundness is the main problem - after ulcers!

But now you have fields full of lovely less breakable horses that I am always looking at on your FB page :D

ktj1891

Visit site
I got my ex-racer straight off the track. He has been amazing! Super safe, super sound only downside is he is a bit of a wimp! Other than that best £200 I spent on a horse!

paddi22

Visit site
I had an exracer lovely horse, very quirky to ride and we had to work through rearing/napping when we got him. Got him to event originally but he wasn't brave enough.

If i was getting another I'd get back xrays done, it would have saved me a lot of hassle and money in the long run. I absolutely love them but i don't think i would get another unless I knew the person selling him and he had a history of being s sound, sane and low maintenance.

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
I had one on loan who was barking mad. Very nappy, hated schooling, took off on hacks and was impossible to ride in company as he turned into a nutter. However, I was not put off! I then bought a lovely ex racer who was a gem of a horse, but sadly had to be PTS after six months due to multiple soundness issues which couldn't be fixed :-( I'd still buy another though, as these things can happen with any horse, not just ex-racers.

soulfull

Visit site
I wouldn't get another one. One I had was retrained very lovely mare but was pts 4 months later as had horrendous kissing spines and other soundness issues.

I'm too old for the possible quirks now though

william95

Visit site
I've got one for sale now and she is the sweetest natured most laid back mare going. She is out hunting at this very moment and she is very well behaved and brave- doesn't get excited with all of the other horses around. It's as if it's all too much effort for her. Very safe and sane. They aren't all nutters that people think they are!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Absolutely mines now 16 and I've had him about 6 weeks but my friend had him out of racing years ago and I rode him for her regularly from the beginning. He's always been lovely

scrapster

Visit site
I have 2. My first was "sharp" reared, and was bonkers, he does have lots of physical issues and is retired at a young age. 2nd one is recently off the track, and so laid back its unbelievable. I was told not to get another but ignored everyone. Injuries are a downfall, but I believe any horse can have illness and injury and any horse can be bonkers! My lad hacked out recently with a horse with a sane and sensible reputation, my lad was a million times better behaved. Would I get another.... probably!