Ex racehorse - new and settling

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hi all- I wondered if I could get some famous HHO opinion please (I'm formerly known as Hoofing it but am having access problems!!)

Anyway... Ex racehorse with some re-schooling has arrived on Saturday and has been great- very laid back and confident so got on for a light session in the school on Sunday am and she was an absolute sweetheart, great in the stable around dogs etc.

However, this morning she was really spooky and agitated in the school to the extent where I opted not to get on - something clearly wrong.

The yard dictate that all new horses must be in for the first 5 days in case of strangles (although we are able to use the schools and walker which seems a bit odd but not my choice of rules!)

So basically, I have her booked in for saddle check later this week just in case there's something amiss there, but my question is whether you'd keep working her on the lunge etc in the meantime or leave her more or less alone until she's allowed out to graze and chill and let off some steam? I'm obviously keen to keep her ticking over and I'm wondering whether keeping her in is allowing her to revert back to 'racing brain'?

Well done if you got this far!! Experiences and opinions welcomed :)

gina2201

Visit site
Maybe it has clicked she's in a new home - whilst they will be used to travelling to new places for a day or two now she has realised she's properly 'moved' and with being stabled will no doubt leave her with excess energy so when she's out she's all ears and eyes for new sights and sounds. I would get her out and about in the school so she could stretch her legs until saddle checked, even just turning her loose in there to have a trot around and maybe expend some energy in the meantime.

Visit site
Get her out of her stable as much as possible - either in the school on the lunge/loose or on the horse walker. She'll be bored witless standing in.