Ex-racehorse owners - questions & show me yours!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Hi All :)

I am considering buying an ex-racehorse to bring on and introduce to the world of eventing/showing/side saddle - basically whatever he/she will turn their hoof to - and was wondering if you could give me some info about all of your ex-racers.

I have never done it before although i am very excited about it. :D

What age did you buy yours? how often had they raced? does he/she have any vices that you knew about when you bought him/her? did you buy direct from the trainer/breeder? What would you do differently if you did it again? what questions should you ask?

Basically piccies and some history on your horse would be lovely!

marley and danni

Visit site
hi!!

very happy for you :):)

i would recommend anyone to get an exrace horse they are so loyal and sweet and very willing to learn!

i got mine on 23rd jan 2011 he was 5 he is now 7 (bday is march)

hes 15'3 bay gelding called Gelert

he does weave when stressed or wanting his food but iv mastered how to minimise it (although i didnt know about this when i bought him)

he came with tack rugs and feed for £800.00

he had been lightly schooled but mostly hacked since out of racing.

i have spent a year training him to hold him self properly and work from his back end properly which he is now starting to do lovley. he has the best jump iv seen will jump anything very bold and is deffinatly not scared of anything he is stabled next to the guard dog and hacks out and doesnt bat an eye lid when other horses spook at carrier bags or go off galloping he will happy stay behind.

hes got a brilliant temp he doesnt bite kick or nasty at all.... he did use to rear when hacking but i realised i was very retricting with my reins so all good now... hacks out in company and on his own...better on his own.

he last raced is 2009 i think and did 23 recorded races came 2nd twice but overall wasnt to bad. he can certainly shift now!

hes very good to come bk down from a gallop even with others :)

i bought him from a lady who bought him from his trainers i have also been intouch with the stud of his sire acclamation who says that all the foals he has sired that they have come accross have gone on to do brilliant things and are overall very calm and collected soles :)

heres a piccy of my beautiful boy!

403937_10150466734713157_509768156_8885063_690632547_n.jpg

wench

Visit site
Mine was 2, nearly 3 when I got her. Raced twice, and was no good as to slow. Did not come with any vices. She came direct from the trainer, whom I told what I wanted from a horse.

What would I do differently - potentially nothing! Got the perfect horse out of it, although it has been a waiting game waiting for her to grow up, and it's got to the stage where I need someone else to do the work for me, as I don't have any experience with babies!

Clava

Visit site
Mine was 7 and had been out of racing for nearly 2 years so I didn't do the re-schooling but I think she took to it like a duck to water from chats with her old owner. She does a bit f everything and is lovely to ride. She raced 5 times previously.

here's a pic.
P1070676.jpg

Rafferoo

Visit site
I bought mine age 7 - he was a globe trotter - bred in the USA and had raced in Dubai and France before making his way to the UK. He started out on the flat and then did a bit of hurdling. Unfortunately he had a lot of physical problems and with hindsight I would buy one that had not raced as much as he had.

He was and still is a bit bonkers too and an absolute liability to hack out!! However on the plus side he loved dressage and we were pretty much a riding club level winning machine : ) We scored a 9 for our first ever centre line! Never did BD but he would have done pretty well at lower levels if we had gone down that road. We intro'd a couple of times and he was really scopey and very bold XC (drops, ditches, water etc brave as a lion!) however he was inconsistent jumping wise which I now know was because of various physical issues.

Could have been an amazing event horse had he been retired from racing sooner but unfortunatly he was fast enough to make it worth keeping him racing! Can honestly say that I have never, ever been that fast before or since and never experienced such explosive power! This is even comparing him to advanced event horses that I have galloped as a groom and other TB/lower level horses of my own.

All in all it didn't work out brilliantly for me but I learnt alot from him and still have him as a field ornament because his cheeky personality is so endearing that I will never part with him! He is 14 this year and still rears every morning when being turned out and gives everyone the run around whenever he gets the chance : )

nikkimariet

Visit site
Gladly :)

I bought Fig Dec 2011 - he was 7. He last raced around October 2011.

He was for sale from the owner (originally bred in Oz), because he had reached his limit with racing. He was reasonably successful and had won around £7k but he didn't have the stamina for longer distances, and although he was neat and careful jumping was pretty outclassed as a hurdler. He has raced in Oz, Japan and the UK. He had been let down from racing, so wasn't particularly fit etc but his owners had kept him moving, done some hacking/XC schooling/SJ schooling with him.

I saw him move without any tack on (which I think is so important), then had a sit on him. PS came along with me, and she also had a sit on Fig (which was really helpful to see what he looked like moving and under tack).

It helped that I knew what I was looking for (good feet, uphill, gelding, no smaller than 15hh and no bigger than 16.3hh.....oh, and BAY!!). But I knew as soon as I went to see him, I had to have him :eek: I paid a bit more than I was planning on for him, but Christ, it doesn't half move :D;)

First day home:
P1160796.jpg

P1160793.jpg

This was around 2 weeks after he arrived:
P1170277.jpg

P1170343.jpg

This is him now:
P1200139.jpg

P1200237.jpg

P1200192.jpg

Couldn't be more chuffed with him.

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
I think Trev was 5 when I got him. He'd been out of racing for a few months & I got him from a lady who bought him off the track. He had 18 races, 2 wins, 5 x 2nds & won £17.5k. He won quite a lot to start with, then was overhandicapped so threw in the towel.

I taught him to jump & last year he started the lower levels of BS & dr, scoring 70.4% in his last test & getting the highest score of the day.

He is super chilled at home, has good feet & will trundle out hacking with a bike in front. When I got him, he refused to leave the yard alone or stay in the lorry by himself. We persuaded him to hack by leading out my old mare Jenny(now 39) for him to follow, then weaning him onto following o/h on the bike. No idea if he will now hack out alone & tbh I have no desire to find out! We've always travelled Jen with him, but now that I've sold the lorry & he will only load into a trailer without the partition, we shall see what happens!

He is a PITA at comps. He can usually hold it together for dr, but sj warm-up is too much for him & he goes nuts, & I mean **NUTS**. It's as if his brain has been completely disconnected - think snorting, blowing, plunging, leaping about... I decided to retire him from sj last year as he was no fun at all, but now I'm thinking about taking him to lots of dr til he's bored rigid with them, then doing the same for jumping, starting with low key stuff.

He is soooooo athletic - my first ex-racer, & is amazingly light to ride & light on his feet. I will see if I can find a picture of him...no, I can't really. Only a rubbish one of o/h having a sit-on...

TrevnMart.jpg

Def a split personality though, & funnily enough, he's a Gemini. He is either super chilled or absolutely manic, with nothing in between. I would have another one in a heartbeat.

T x

3bh

Visit site
I bought this chap for £250 from the trainer in June last year:

249428_995366741908_199709314_50823186_3211342_n.jpg

I loved the fact he's deep, has a good shoulder and perfect wither for a sidesaddle, which is exactly what I wanted him for! (And he will also be a large riding horse and is registered BD but due to lorry being a sicknote hasn't been out yet!)

He had a few months not doing anything more than a hack out a couple of times a week or some bimbling around not really educating, as he had some proper filling out to do, and was a bit of a slow starter under saddle- he was polite and did what he was told but stuffy, I like them well forward of the leg in preparation for only having one!!

However a couple of days hunting fixed that, I knnow he had got very stale and bored of racing and was just totally turned off any time you asked him to get a wriggle on - however the first time we went hunting I set off just saying "look, you can go any pace you like" -to start off with we were about half a mile behind the field (bloodhounds) as if I really urged him on he backed right off - then the penny dropped and you could just fell him go OOohh, actually, going forward CAN be fun!

306306_10100184550068978_199709314_52199788_94609319_n.jpg

Put the saddle on him around Christmas time and he went off like he had done it all his life (although thats more of a sidesaddle thing as you know than a specific horse thing!)

299029_10100201130172318_199709314_52378986_804692283_n.jpg

He is not your "stereotypical" ex racer atall - he is quite backward thinking (although prone to a spook or a leap as any equine!) and gets fat on fresh air - currently gets grass, haylege and a vit/min balancer and he is most definitely currently "in show condition" verging on fat, I can feel some ribs if I push hard enough!! At a recent clinic with a big show name she asked "what classes do you intend to do" - and I said RoR and RH, she said , what, RoR for Thoroughbreds? And admitted that she thought he was a warmblood or part bred!

The only quirk I've discovered is he is a big girls blouse about jumping, he has hurdled and is happy with XC jumps once he's had a good look at them, but wets his pants about a stripey pole on the floor! Other than than he really thrives on work, he gets grumpy and bored easily with basic stuff but I found as soon as I started complicating things with lateral work he perked up and found flatwork rather more interesting. He's also the best thing on 4 legs I've ever hacked out - even when he was fresh out of Newmarket he was giving my Mums veteran cob "leads" around scary puddles etc, nothing phases him in that sense - I suppose 5 years in Newmarket would do that!

If you've recognised who I am off facebook ;-) you probably know my other bay boy, he was £500 in March last year, had come out of racing and wintered back on a pre-training yard, but essentially a clean slate. He is chalk and cheese- will always be wiry skinny sort, just how he is built, and very sharp - need only "contemplate" giving an aid and you're already doing it! He is a much more forgiving and generous horse who tries his heart out and loves affection (the big boy above would eat you if you tried snuggling him!) and doesn't need to be bribed/cajouled into things.

388394_10100216512141728_199709314_52464105_146169673_n.jpg

I think its all rather luck of the draw - I will say however that the horses i have had straight from trainers (and "big name" ones) have been the easiest to do, rather than those that someone has already "had a go" at reprogramming - I think whatever you do in the initial few weeks really sets them up - or back - more so than with educating any other horse.

Last edited:

HDPE

Visit site
I had my ex racer for five years, for 9-14, so he'd already been off the track for a while. I use a wheelchair at times, and he's the only horse that I could get in from the field, unrug, groom and tack up from my chair with no help - he didn't mind the chair getting close, or if the saddle went on heavily, or if it took me a few tries to get things done, he was one in a million. Sadly, he's gone to a new home and has been replaced by two younger models but I'll always miss him and be grateful to him :(

Within a week of owning him we were at the national championships where we came third, 2006 he flew over to Hartpury CDPI with me but sadly coliced on return to Aus leaving us out for most of 2007. Skip through to 09 we went to Australian Para-Equestrian Nationals, and he also won national Elementary horse against able bodied competitors, but sadly in October he threw a splint, and then as it was healing redid it. We got him back into work but I knew I couldn't be competitive with it looming over us.

252449_10150276705562905_561097904_8754980_2254528_n.jpg

36935_465776224250_387239349250_6391493_6224748_n.jpg

But we also like to relax, he was was an awesome gymkhana pony
154318_10150133888344251_387239349250_8066095_5723568_n.jpg

156264_10150133886639251_387239349250_8066073_4076201_n.jpg

Loved to gallop
76558_10150133884849251_387239349250_8066041_393035_n.jpg

And do the occasional small jump
2445_76683332904_561097904_2061152_2752873_n.jpg

Though it's more fun to passage over them :rolleyes:
149607_10150133886864251_387239349250_8066075_4639827_n.jpg

Mlini

Visit site
I got mine last year when he was 5, from a lady that got him from the trainer. He was bought in Ireland as a yearling for flat racing, but proved too slow. He was sold on because (trainers words, not mine!) 'he is a pet, not a racehorse' :rolleyes::D His only vice is that he windsucks. I am managing this through his diet and turnout and he has improved vastly.

He is still 5 and 17hh (grown an inch since I got him) still got filling out to do and is improving on his flat work. Quite clumsy jumping but is getting there. :eek:

I also found out that I bought him as 'Socks' but he was originally called 'Trigger'

Some pictures... (sorry the ridden one is so dark and small, was the only one I have on comp:()
photo-42.png

photo-23.jpg

photo-6.png

IMG_0708.jpg

Sockse3.jpg

HDPE

Visit site
It won't let me edit my post, but Luce is by Tristaplane out of Sarawyn, so he could never really be expected to set the track alight :cool:

He left racing aged 7, having won a few races and placed in a few others, better over distance because being a bit heavier built than most of the horses he raced with he had the strength and stamina rather than speed for sprints.

Last edited:
Visit site
I got mine because I rode them in work so took them home at the end of their careers.

Kyle had raced 30-odd times, flat, hurdles and a couple of chases. He started racing at 2yo and finished at 7yo due to injury. I have had him since then. He is a bit of a stubborn mule to ride to be honest. When I take him out and about he does get fizzed up as he loves to party - too much lol! But he is a gem in the stable and in the field. He has lived out for the last 2 winters with a rug on being fed and he is happy as larry. In training he was bad in traffic, nappy and when on the gallops he loved nothing better than to put his tongue over the bit and sod off with you. Never dangerous though, you would always stop before you hit something or left the gallops. Kyle occassionaly windsucks - the stand and suck air in the middle of a field, he would never crib a fence or anything and he only does this after eating mints, nothing else just mints. Oh and oranges! Just because he want's more of them lol!

Jeff raced 43 times. He was born and raced in France and then came over here. He started racing as a 3yo and retired when he was 11yo and again I brought him straight home out of the yard. He is a gent. Go anywhere, do anything. He is pretty much bombproof in every way but he does get worried when away at shows so gets tense but that is all. In training he was the bees knees and gave the youngsters leads. He has no vices at all. And he is very well schooled.

Gray was born and raced in America. He came over at the start of his 4yo year. He hurdled and chased to a high standard but was plauged with leg problems. He retired from racing because he had ruptured his SDFT and could no longer race. He ran from 2yo till 7yo but he had 2 years off in the middle due to leg problems. He was a Grand National horse in the making. Again I brought him home straight out of training and whilst he hasn't been sat on properly again yet I know him and I know how to ride him.

My last one is Laurel. He is a completely new toy for me! He is a 6furlong sprinter who came from another yard. He raced from 2yo until his the eve of his official 5th birthday. He raced 20times and he retired due to injury. Being a sprinter he has never had to go round a bend before, he also had never been asked to carry himself so he is now learning all of this and it is like bringing on a freshly broken horse that is good in traffic already lol. It's great fun and so rewarding! The only thing he does do is he box walks mildly when bored. He has lived out with Kyle all winter for the first time in his life and he is loving it!

If you are going to get one I wouldn't be put off by age, how many times it has raced. Take each horse individually as a horse than has only ever raced once might be a flighty eejit whilst one that has raced 30-40 times might be a donkey and vice versa. How many years of racing they have under their belt really shouldn't matter.

mrussell

Visit site
Chester came from a racing yard in November 2008 having been turned away for 8 months by the preious trainer. He was in poor order and had lots of health issues including a hevay worm burden, diarrhea, a fracture to his spineous processes, underrun heels, mud fever, autoimmune problems and ofcourse... with that came behavoural issues that included refusing to move, lashing out, attacking other horses and generally having panic attacks.

It was VERY long process but he went from this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.108758537210.92314.802137210&type=3&theater

to this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.108758537210.92314.802137210&type=3&theater

and now does this...

www.facebook.com/ChesterTheEventer

and this...

and this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...27200714.67582.211219082278116&type=3&theater

and we wouldnt change a thing about him !!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Fab info.

Tbh - did recognize you! From the photo of when you first got K. love the sideyways pics. would like to do that with anything I get too.

HDPE - love the aussie rosettes - I won a few when I was there for a year, was nice to tie it round the horses neck rather than a rosette - something a bit different! (Still have them somewhere :))

Love all the piccies - I'm thinking about going to see a 16hh mare but hubby wants me to get a 16.2 - he thinks I need to be on big horses for eventing (16.2+) as the boy I have at the moment is 17hh. as long as its 16h upwards its fine for me (I'm only 5'5)
Oh and hubby is not horsey at all (although will be funding hoss purchase :D)

Did I mention he wants it to be a chestnut too - not fussy at all is he!

Angua2

Visit site
This is my ex-racer
doing a bit of dressage
431150_10150603368448499_570168498_9285414_1740310349_n.jpg

a bit of show jumping

215355_10150165218323499_570168498_6935898_6131612_n.jpg

a bit of cross country

65909_438988038498_570168498_5409390_4776763_n.jpg

Having a bash side saddle - Not the best photo, but you get the gist
31362_10150192369485576_852770575_12434126_2537210_n.jpg

in other words she does a bit of everything

She came from a racing yard as a reject at 2 years ish, initially I found her for a friend, and 6 months later i bought her off the friend for the same amount she paid £500. I have had her for 5 years this year. She does occasionally crib, but that isn't any issue

Last edited:

minesadouble

Visit site
I have had 2 ex-racers myself and loved them. When my eldest daughter was out of ponies at 16 I bought one for her as her first 'proper' horse. He was a 6 and a half hour drive away and I was heavily pregnant at the time so I bought him over the phone sight unseen! We have had him for two years now, he is lovely but a bit of a pillock.

He has been a fabulous horse for her. We did buy him with the hope of eventing but his jumping is VERY hit and miss. He can jump 4 foot with ease OR he sometimes, turns his head to one side, shuts his eyes and runs through the fence - I kid you not!!

I don't think our current one is typical. He was in racing for 8 years, ran on the flat and over hurdles. He was cut late and is very 'colty' to handle on the ground, and has a stallion like temperament. He is quite a 'one person' horse. Anyone can ride him but he only goes really well for my daughter.

Since his jumping proved erratic my daughter has concentrated on showing him. Not her first love but she does enjoy it now ( she found it very stressful at first as she's more of a jumping person).

Ours is a bit of a split personality but he's the biggest character on our yard (of 40 horse) by far!

Some pics showing the different sides of our fabulous Jekyll and Hyde ex-racer;-

scan0005.jpg

174.jpg

goosecanter.jpg

175.jpg

179.jpg

He has to be tied with a chain in the lorry as he eats (and I mean literally EATS) lead ropes!

He is the most accident prone horse on the yard!

He picks anything up that's in his reach and not tied down and swings it around, often almost decapitating unsuspecting passers by!

Has tried to eat everything from mobile phones to tinsel, he bites like nobody's business - only stopping if you ask him "where's yout tongue?" upon which he flops his enormous tongue out and lets his ears flop to the side like a demented donkey!

BUT he is the funniest, most amazing character and we wouldn't part with him for the world! :)

Last edited:

claracanter

Visit site
/Users/ttangledweb/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/2 Nov 2011_7/Dressage_Oct_11_030.JPG

Hi
My ex racer is 5. He's by Generous out of one of the Queen's broodmares. He was in training at Henrietta Knight's but only raced three times as too slow. I have had him 6 months. He is a gentleman to do and I have been moving him on slowly with his schooling. I'm hoping he will turn his hoof to anything. In the time I have had him he really has thickened out. The photo was taken only three weeks after I got him.

Lolo

Visit site
Reg raced until he was 8, then had 18 months off and Al has had the pleasure of riding him for the last 2 and a bit years.

391426_2772991723511_1219588210_32144953_1931960881_n.jpg

485342_3505837371743_1446041645_33247913_241881353_n.jpg

314250_2319126544714_1446041645_32666767_4448045_n.jpg

262399_1891552888091_1219588210_31674582_6396981_n.jpg
301968_1968258685688_1219588210_31760095_1846217470_n.jpg

And he's the nicest hack ever!
404424_3114110058805_1446041645_33096381_357232733_n.jpg

He's been hard work, but it's 100% worth it. He's a sweetheart to look after and we all adore him- he is kind and gentle, but bold as brass XC. Also totally snaffle mouthed, and the only gadgetry he's in is a flash, which they're slowly moving away from. I think Al would leap at the chance to have another ex-racer as he's very rewarding.

madmav

Visit site
I have just read all of these stories and so enjoyed all of them. Heart-warming to see those boys and girls adapting to a completely different life-style off track and doing it so willingly. Horses really are the most amazing animals.
And I now want to rush off to a race yard and take home one of their also-rans. Just fabulous.

humblepie

Visit site
Am far from an expert having only had three ex racehorses but many friends/fellow liveries have had them and I would say that every horse is different, with different experiences, knowledge of life to date etc.

I had a little ex racehorse chestnut mare whose history I knew nothing about, she had the sweetest nature and went on to jump to Foxhunter level, then my current show horse who had done some eventing before I bought him and again he has a lovely nature. Have recently acquired a new one straight from racing, has spent 7 years in the same yard and raced very successfully. Like minesadouble's horse, he grabs everything, buckets, brooms, tries to help sweep up, does a full pocket search for sweets. He is very easy to do in the yard and is just starting to be schooled. Was very strange first off as had no idea of steering but is now doing school movements and I think having raced so long will take a while but am in no rush.