Ex-racehorse retraining

Always-Riding

Visit site
Any advice appreciated.

I took on a lovely 8 year old mare last April who last point to pointed a month before. Hacked her out immediately and she was always foot perfect. She then went to Wales & West BSJA where again she was impeccably behaved. No schooling work was done hereafter and was hacked about once a fortnight as she needed time to "be a horse" again. Always foot perfect.

With uni approaching I decided the best idea was to loan her to a knowledgeable home, I trusted my novice OH to ride her bareback in just a head collar. I got her back a month ago after such good reports from the loaner who claimed she had been to regular lessons and working well, aimed at dressage/RC.

She was muscled but no coverage. On the second day she arrived back I rode her. She was tense, planted herself and threatened to rear. Unfortunately, she got kicked by my youngster so went slightly lame and has had 3 weeks off. Today, she was exactly the same as before. Spoke to the loaner who claims she was ready to do prelim/novice dressage before I took her back, which I really can't imagine. And other information doesn't ring true that she gave.

She he has sharp teeth and the dentist is out tomorrow... Could this cause this type of behaviour?

What would your plan with her be?

just as a side note, I'm not a novice. I have experience backing and schooling horses and ponies (work for a listed BD judge), but not so much re-training an ex-racehorse.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Yep sharp tooth could cause this, mind had sharp tooth after dentist rasped them and left a slight hook he completely changed and wouldn't be ridden without extreme behaviour I would wait til dentist been before making any judgement they are sensitive soles!!