Ex racehorse running backwards!!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Hi All,

I took my ex racehorse show jump schooling the other evening and it would seem he would rather run backwards than jump the fence!
He started off extremely nappy towards the other horse I was with, then he went lovely, then started running out and backwards again!

Anyone else had this? Hes very nappy in general and hacking out alone is a no no, although he is improving!

Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated, as I was hoping to event him!!!

Lolo

Visit site
Was it his first outing?

If he's generally nappy, then him being nappy elsewhere isn't a massive surprise. I'd probably work on getting him out and about on his own. Does he stop before he starts going backwards? I'd try and stop him from being allowed to stop moving, even if it is just side to side or turning...

PorkChop

Visit site
On the face of it, he needs to learn that going forwards is fun!

Would he be suitable to hunt? How old is he? If it has been going on a while then I think I would send him to a pro that is a bit stronger than you, I would want to nip it in the bud before the habit becomes the norm.

Morrigan_Lady

He's 11 and finished racing in 2008 and hasn't really done much since! We've pretty much nailed the dressage and jumping him at home, he was fine. It was his first outing jumping, maybe I should have gone alone?

Im taking him over to my trainers tomorrow on his own, so will see what happens.

We did work on him just going forwards and happy until we took him into a fence and he was ok, but then all of a sudden he'll stop and charge backwards!

Not sure about hunting, I might ask my trainer if he fancies it!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
We cured one pony by reversing in to a gate that had barbed wire along the top but reversing was predictable and an ingrained evasion so that helped. I think this is just a lack of confidence, so I would get him going on the long reins with a lunge whip, and then responding to a schooling whip, and strong legs when appropriate. Try leaning back, as this might work if you can do it in time. Use a neck strap when out hacking, you must not jab his mouth.
Have trotting or canter poles for every fence and make a little course up with variety, so he can't forward plan his evasions.
101 Jumping Exercises is great for this.
Have you tried a hanging baucher rather than a loose ring snaffle?
Do some mental exercises to "up" your bravery level, this horse needs to be sure who is the boss .............it is YOU! Start by making a plan every time you decide to school at home. It might help if an assistant can change fences for you.
Did he run in NH races?

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
My only concern about long reining him would be if he spun or backed in to me! He doesn't respect a schooling at all. If I use it on his bum he just either goes backwards even more or kicks out double barrel!
Ask your instructor to sort him out for you, he needs to respect you, and you need to know how to handle him from the ground and on top, it will all work out if you stick to your guns. If you don't try your hardest, you will have to find another horse.
Any horse that has been in racing will be used to being told what to do, so cut out any fluffy bunny stuff and get down to work :)

Last edited:

superpony

Visit site
My ex racer used to do the same when I was first took him out places. If he got worried/scared his immediate reaction was to run backwards. When his confidence improved he stopped doing it. I used to let him run backwards till he hit the fence if need be then immediately send him forwards with my voice, with lots of reassurance patting voice etc when he did go forwards so he knew that it was good and fun! I would also make sure I threw my reins forward to encourage him to move forwards too.

A couple of times when he was particularly sticky we have used a lunge whip behind him to encourage him to go forwards. Spinning them can also help.

Morrigan_Lady

My ex racer used to do the same when I was first took him out places. If he got worried/scared his immediate reaction was to run backwards. When his confidence improved he stopped doing it. I used to let him run backwards till he hit the fence if need be then immediately send him forwards with my voice, with lots of reassurance patting voice etc when he did go forwards so he knew that it was good and fun! I would also make sure I threw my reins forward to encourage him to move forwards too.

A couple of times when he was particularly sticky we have used a lunge whip behind him to encourage him to go forwards. Spinning them can also help.

Im so relieved to know mine isn't the only one! Ive not had him long and was getting concerned Id bought a dud!

I was turning him and trying to avoid letting him go backwards. Im sure we'll get there. :0) x

humblepie

Visit site
You say also that he hung to the other horses. Racehorses in General do things in a pack - okay huge generalisation as yes they may work on their own they may be the one that goes down to the start on their own but generally they have their mates with them. Perhaps join a riding club and do some clinics. That really helped mine get confidence as you would work in a group but also need to go away from the others etc. then if you know anyone suitable perhaps hire an arena and work him with another horse and gradually work up to a course. It is his confidence but also being confident yourself to be firm when needed. It is far from unusual and am sure you can work through it.

Have a look on the retraining of racehorses website and have a chat with their consultants.

Good luck

JDH01

Visit site
We had an ex-racer who when pushed in his mind too far could go backwards almost as fast as he could go forwards. Hunting sorted him out as he really wanted to get going and then he was fine even sj by himself away from home.