Ex-racer with fractured pelvis

amandathepanda

Visit site
I was given my ex-racer 3 years ago. He was a flat horse & last time he ran 4 years ago he won at Goodwood then slipped over in the winner enclosure fracturing his pelvis. He has never been the most supple or horses as you can imagine but I'm really concerned about him at the moment.

I've just given all my horses 4 months off while I was setting my business up & having surgery myself so I only brought D'Accord back into work on Sunday. Obviously he has lost all his muscle and is now very unfit, but what is concerning me is the way he is so incredibly stiff at the moment. My friend rode him out with me this morning & he steps about 4 inches shorter with his right hind leg - he never used to be that bad!

Do you think it is just because he is so unfit that he is so stiff or could it be the start of something more sinister? He has already got slight navicular in his front legs so has remedial shoeing for that so generally he is a bit crock. The guy who gave him to me has basically told me to shoot him if he can't be ridden which I think is a bit harsh but poor D'Accord is only 10 & he would hate to spend the next 15 years just chucked out in the field.

I've recently started him on 'Horse First' My Joints which is a high dose of Glucosamine. I don't really want to have to put him on long term bute as I'm not convinced that is really fair on a horse of his age.

Anyone got any suggestions?

OrangeEmpire

www.equestrian-portrait.com
it may well be that careful exercise to gently build up his topline will help - my mare has spavin and SI issues and after steroids didn't work, I began schooling and hacking gently in walk (long and low with plenty of impulsion) gradually building up to a normal work load over a period of 4-5 months. She was short on one hind by a similar amount. Now she's tracking up nicely.

I use NoBute successfully to manage my other horse's arthiritis pain. This might be an option for your horse?

has your vet seen him to confirm it is his pelvis?

Silverspring

Visit site
I looked at an ex racer with the ILPH that had the same issue as your guy. She has fracture her pelvis and was mechanically lame through her hind leg at all times. She was in no pain but they did tell me if I took her out of work for more that a week or so she would come up very stiff (from experience) and that I would have to work her in slowly (walking for days) til she back to her normal self.

Sounds like the same with your guy, given the weather and the lack of work he's prbably just very stiff. Work him every day for a while but really gently and I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time
smile.gif

china

Visit site
get a mctimony chiropractor out and explain the situation. it may be misaligned. a problem my exracer suffers with. it may need manipulating back into place to allow the joint to move and work more freely! not very expensive. mine is £35 - £40 pounds. i feel much better when mine has his done as i know everything is where it should be. my boys pelvis was misaligned for so long he overcompencated with other legs and lost alot of muscle on one side.

cas84

Visit site
I have an ex racer with the same problem as yours. It has taken us since July to get him to a stage where he doesnt feel very odd behind.
He was sitting in a field for nearly 2 years when we got him. We were told never to give him more then a week or two off at a time as he would loose all his muscle and espically around the siatica (sp) as that has to compensate for the fractured side in his pelvis (his right side).Once we warm him up properly the vet told us to work him through it even if it feels very odd!
We still havent jumped him yet but hopefully when we feel he is at the stage we can start with him.
He has been great for the last while however you can notice a difference in his freeness if he is off even if only a few days!

I would just build him back up slowly and he will eventually get his muscle back and be back to himeself. We were told to walk our horse for a few weeks and then build him up slowly.