Ex racers hunting?

spacefaer

Visit site
You see plenty of thoroughbreds hunting - every point to pointer in the country has to be hunted and have an attendance card signed by the Secretary, in order to qualify to race.

Some take to it better than others - like all horses. Some tbs are naturally wired, some are more chilled :)

spacefaer

Visit site
I might be more wary about taking an ex-flat horse hunting, but mainly because they've been bred for generations to keep their feet on the floor and I like clean, careful jumpers lol!

kandm

Visit site
Not having hunted myself i wouldn't know :).But I should have cottoned on to pointing - I was only talking about that the other day, such a blonde moment.

I wonder what my ex racer would be like to hunt. Think I would be too much of a pansy to try haha!

Tell me more :) especially about ex flats racing

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
What do you want to know?

Thoroughbreds have always been used for hunting - if you look at old hunting prints, the horses are all TBs - apart from the farmer on his farm horse, children on ponies (or donkeys)

As a breed, they have a reputation for flightiness, but some take to hunting, some don't -but that's the same as any breed of horse. I can think of plenty non TBs I would gladly pay not to take hunting lol!

I hate the term ex-racer so I will use the breed name - thoroughbred. Of those that have raced on the flat, they tend nowadays to be a smaller stamp, with less bone than the traditional National Hunt type that race over fences. My preference would be for a horse that has run under Rules (ie over fences) than on the flat - they start later in training, they are a sturdier stamp (my preference) and they have been bred to jump.

I love the TB as a breed - they were the original sports horse - and whether or not they raced as young horses, IME , doesn't seem to affect their suitability as hunters.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I've hunted lots of racehorses, until this one they've always been National hunt (although two were actually flat bred) the one I'm starting this season is a 5yo who ran twice on the flat & pulled up in his only start over hurdles, (so useless) his jumping technique still needs a lot of polish, but he's already (3rd day out this morning) excelled himself & definitely found his vocation! Jumped some bits of timber this morning that gave me that reassuring feeling of 'phew' he picks up even if it's a bit trappy

Tbh, thoroughbreds make the best hunters if you start them right & don't fry their brains in the first day or two

tootsietoo

Visit site
I hunted one all last season. It suited his temperament absolutely perfectly, he's a lazy sod so it perked him up a bit, but he was still very sensible. He was a flat racer though, and he has been very dim about picking his feet up, which was quite hairy at times. I've had to do so much pole work. Also, he isn't really the right sort for our country at all. It's very heavy, flat land, and you don't see many TBs out with us. However, if you are in hillier country a TB would be much more suitable. Have a go!