Ex-racers

Tally-lah

Visit site
I am really interested in people's experiences with rehoming ex-racehorses. Also would be interested to know where people find such horses, sounds silly, I know, but have never really thought about it before but am giving the idea some serious thought...

I am looking for a new project and want something very forward going and a few experienced friends have recommended looking into rehoming an ex-racehorse. I have owned a few TB's before and love them, one of which was an ex-racer but she had be totally retrained when I bought her.

So, would just really appreciate some opinions from anyone who has had one, know's who to contact about rehoming, pitfalls, positives, etc.

Thank you in advance

Visit site
I rode mine in their work and took them home when they retired. Your best bet is to contact your local trainers and ask if they have any that are looking for a new home. Go to the yard to see them, ask the grooms about the horse - we are the ones who know them inside out! Keep an good eye out on conformation and injuries if they have had any. Just the same as any horse really.

paddi22

Visit site
i have one i adore, but he's a disaster! I fell for one with lovely floaty paces and a nice jump, tons of potential, but he hasn't a braincell in the world and just isn't brave enough for eventing, which is what i was hoping to do. I love him to bits but if i had to go back in time i would have had a bit more sense picking one that had a better brain. I just fell for him cause he was so sweet on the ground.

hotair

Visit site
I have an ex national hunt horse (my second ex racer) who i love to pieces. I bought him at the start of this year after he hadnt done a great deal as his old owner found him far to much so i bought him from the field. He has come on so much in so little time he was admitedly a little wild at first and spent more time on two legs than four but through patience and persistance hes doing great now. He hacks alone, in company and in a group, still gets a little fizzy now and then but it is very manageable and never nasty like he was at first, he has a very bold scopey jump and is very brave x-country, ive yet to find anything he wont jump!! He is also very versitile and can turn very sharp and quick for his size so his sj and xc alike are both fab we are just working on dressage now (both of our least favourite!). I would deffinatly have another one both of mine have been great fun to work with and very rewarding, i would only go for ex national hunt or steeplechasers as i prefer them with a bit more bone and height. I bought my current one through a sale site but i agree that a good way to source them is directly from the trainers. Good luck and let us know if you get one!! :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
J came out of training to his previous owner now people know I am a TB fan I get offered them regularly .
If you contact local trainers one will find it's way to you.
There's been be a couple I would have loved but don't want to go back to having more than four horses .

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I have 2, my first, my mare, I first looked at when a local riding school (who also trained p2p horses),for one reason or another I didn't end up getting her then but we were reunited just over a year ago. I sadly had to retire her in summer and took on my 2nd. I keep my mare on livery at a exracer rehab yard and had had my eye on this guy since he came in. Definitely the best horses I've had.

milesjess

Visit site
I have one off my friend who's been re schooled etc... He's probably the most chilled horse I've had but with character. He's an absolute gentleman and nothing fazes him, even if he's having a good look at something he will go and investigate rather then spook :)

He's put on condition quickly with the right diet and gone barefoot so just working on getting his feet improved now.

Only downside is he's very thin skinned so if we have a cold winter he's gonna need rugging up but I don't mind that.

I'd say you have to find the right TB for your personality, they aren't all fizzy and lively but some are so it's finding the right one and there's plenty to choose from.

And also it depends on what you want to do, if your into showing then you'll need something clean limbed but racers do have their war wounds so that's another thing to keep in mind.

I thing more people should consider them to be honest, because they are handled young, have been out and about seeing things and just generally used to been poked and prodded, but I've found they have a great work attitude and want to learn, but they are very versatile too.

Last edited:

Tea Drinker

Visit site
Things to watch out for:
Feet (TB feet can be flat/, crumbly...)
Legs - racing injuries. Look for tendon damage. Racing is HARD on their legs.
Form - I like to have a horse that didn't spend his career bring pulled up or falling over (fences).
Yard- what type of yard did they come from? Big yard that rides out in vast strings? Or a small yard where they are more likely to have a more "normal" education, Perhaps even going for a hack and being turned out!
Confidence - will your horse hack out on his own? Many racehorses struggle to do anything without company.

I tend to find ex racers very gentle souls really. they are often sweethearts to handle and are very accepting of all sorts of treatment. they've been clipped a kazillion times, used to having manes pulled, bathed and just very well handled. So they can be a joy to have on a yard.
They can be quite irrationally spooky on hacks I find. Spook at the oddest of things (a bag of crisps in the bushes) and can whip round yet never phased by juggernauts of traffic zooming past!

Llee94

Visit site
I have an ex-hurdler from Ireland. He is the sweetest horse in the world but he does have little problems like many racehorses. Due to his training from the yard, he can be difficult to show jump because he was trained to jump through the fences rather than over them and this, I have been told, is the reason why he has been moved around so much. His feet are another issue. They tend to have flat feet and bruise their soles easily even with pads!
You also have to be aware that some may suffer from stomach ulcers or have had them previously due to their lifestyle on the racing yards. I have a competition mare that I run along side my ex-racer so I never feel any pressure with him and I can take my time. It can be very frustrating and at times disappointing when things are not going to plan, be it in training or just keeping them sound, but they can also be the best horses out there!

bonny

Visit site
So much nonsense is written about racehorses and the above is a classic case, horses are not trained to jump through the fences ! They start their jumping education jumping solid fences, same as any other horse. In fact a tb is just a horse, they are all different sizes, types etc and I wish people would stop lumping them all together. My other pet hate, while I am in ranting mode, is the phrase," straight off the track", it's meaningless unless you got your horse at the end of a race !

Claire-R

Visit site
I have Had 2 Ex racers:

My first was a 5 year old Gelding named Gus and was admittedly too much for me!

My second is my current 10 year old Mare Paris and she was difficult/un rideable when I first got her but she is a dream now!

The best thing to look for is the nature of the horse as well as signs of injury. If you have a horse with a sweet nature/ ground manors you have a good starting place!!

Llee94

Visit site
So much nonsense is written about racehorses and the above is a classic case, horses are not trained to jump through the fences ! They start their jumping education jumping solid fences, same as any other horse. In fact a tb is just a horse, they are all different sizes, types etc and I wish people would stop lumping them all together. My other pet hate, while I am in ranting mode, is the phrase," straight off the track", it's meaningless unless you got your horse at the end of a race !

It is not complete nonsense! I used to date a jockey and his father trained hurdlers and they always jumped brush fences from the beginning and never poles! I'm just saying my horse is not careful showjumping due to HIS previous experiences.

VickyP

Visit site
I love them, I've had quite alot to do with them over the years and my current one I took on a few days after his last race. He raced till he was 9 and I've had him for 3 years. He flat raced so the idea of jumping was very new so he was like a 4yo in a 9yo body!! He was from a huge yard but I had a contact in the yard who assured me he would let me get on using the stirrup as opposed to a leg up, and was quite happy to go out alone or in front. Just what I was looking for! When I was looking my vet advised me not to exclude an older racer who had been a good horse in favour of a younger one, which I would have prefered. It hasn't been easy, but I knew that, I am so pleased with him now and I'm pleased I took my vet's advice because he's a tough old thing both mentally and physically. Great feet and a good doer.

Good luck with your search OP!

rising_promise

Visit site
I have one. I was looking for a horse and didn't have a big budget at all but did have time and lots of experience with youngsters and TB's so started looking at ex racers.

I got mine as a 4yo having raced 27 times. She was the first one I saw. She looked very poor as had done nothing and lived out for 5 months since her last race but this gave her time to chill out and relax. Tried her and loved her sweet, try hard attitude and seemingly unflappable temperament (for a 4yo not ridden for a few months anyway!).

Her feet were/ are awful- this is a work in progress with a fantastic farrier. She has been treated for ulcers as was girthy and I suspected it to be ulcers, I was right- both gastric and colonic. She is a bit of a stress head occasionally in the stable if her neighbour is taken away but is so much better than she used to be and barely notices these days. She blows up if she gets the slightest little nick (same for all TB's I've found!) and she can be slightly marish on the ground with geldings when in season- she's ginger so fairly sensitive!

Having said that, she is the easiest mare to deal with once I'm on her. Never says no, always tries her heart out and has been a pleasure to produce. I've had her nearly 2 years and she's won and been placed at Prelim and Novice dressage, won SJ (she is extremely careful and barely touches a pole) and has been competing at BE90 this season flying round the XC and I wouldn't swap her for the world!

OP, if you want to know a contact I have in Kent (where I got mine from), please PM me. She gets the safe and sound ones from Newmarket and sells them on. Lex on here also got her mare from the same lady. She is very trustworthy and knowledgeable.

hotair

Visit site
I both agree and disagree with the comment about jumping through yes in a race they do brush through but this doesnt mean that with the right training they cant be taught to show jump etc. Mine is ex NH and showjumps and goes xcountry wonderfully, i have found the majority of them to have a very trainable nature and with good schooling, gridwork, v poles etc there is no reason they cant be retrained to show jump, my own and many others i have met over the years on showing circuits adapted and learnt brilliantly. I accept that there will be some who just arent suited to it but there are also a large amount who are

Visit site

Completely agree! All of ours are taught to jump poles and barrels in the school before they progress onto anything else. Yes they are taught to jump fast and slickyly and if that means scraping through the of a fence or taking the top off of a hurdle then so be it but that is the exception and not the norm. No horse - unless it is a god awful jumper! - will crack every single jump it meets.

Llee94

Visit site
Completely agree! All of ours are taught to jump poles and barrels in the school before they progress onto anything else. Yes they are taught to jump fast and slickyly and if that means scraping through the of a fence or taking the top off of a hurdle then so be it but that is the exception and not the norm. No horse - unless it is a god awful jumper! - will crack every single jump it meets.

Okay so maybe 'jumping through' is the wrong word. More like jumping flat over fences but with grids and going back to basics, he is learning that he has to wait and bascule over the jumps more.

Mrs G

Visit site
I've had two ex-racers, both bought from dealers who regularly got horses from training yards. At the dealers the initial re-training took place. I wouldn't have had the contacts, experience or confidence to re-start them straight out of racing. There are 8 ex racers on my current yard doing all different disciplines as they are so versatile and quick to learn, they travel and behave better in the competition ring than many of the purpose-bought more expensive horses on the yard. However nearly all of them had bad teeth on arrival, a couple of them crib, and one died of colic brought about by undiagnosed ulcers. As a novice owner and rider, buying an ex racer meant I could afford a quality, sound, athletic, well put together young horse at a bargain price but it was a gamble and I needed a lot of help from more experienced people to make it pay off.

Last edited:

Tally-lah

Visit site
I have an ex national hunt horse (my second ex racer) who i love to pieces. I bought him at the start of this year after he hadnt done a great deal as his old owner found him far to much so i bought him from the field. He has come on so much in so little time he was admitedly a little wild at first and spent more time on two legs than four but through patience and persistance hes doing great now. He hacks alone, in company and in a group, still gets a little fizzy now and then but it is very manageable and never nasty like he was at first, he has a very bold scopey jump and is very brave x-country, ive yet to find anything he wont jump!! He is also very versitile and can turn very sharp and quick for his size so his sj and xc alike are both fab we are just working on dressage now (both of our least favourite!). I would deffinatly have another one both of mine have been great fun to work with and very rewarding, i would only go for ex national hunt or steeplechasers as i prefer them with a bit more bone and height. I bought my current one through a sale site but i agree that a good way to source them is directly from the trainers. Good luck and let us know if you get one!! :)

This sounds like exactly what I want!!! Really interesting to hear about the national hunt/steeplechasers....

NaeNae87

Visit site
Things to watch out for:
Feet (TB feet can be flat/, crumbly...)
Legs - racing injuries. Look for tendon damage. Racing is HARD on their legs.
Form - I like to have a horse that didn't spend his career bring pulled up or falling over (fences).
Yard- what type of yard did they come from? Big yard that rides out in vast strings? Or a small yard where they are more likely to have a more "normal" education, Perhaps even going for a hack and being turned out!
Confidence - will your horse hack out on his own? Many racehorses struggle to do anything without company.

I tend to find ex racers very gentle souls really. they are often sweethearts to handle and are very accepting of all sorts of treatment. they've been clipped a kazillion times, used to having manes pulled, bathed and just very well handled. So they can be a joy to have on a yard.
They can be quite irrationally spooky on hacks I find. Spook at the oddest of things (a bag of crisps in the bushes) and can whip round yet never phased by juggernauts of traffic zooming past!

I totally agree with this :)

Enfys

Visit site

Bonny, I think I love you! :D

I get shot down in flames (as if I care) every time I say an ottb is just a horse :) As far as I am concerned a horse is a horse is a horse, they may have had a different education and some may be slightly institutionalised, but you still get the good, the bad and the ugly, the bright and the beautiful - all individuals.

Last edited:

dominobrown

Visit site
I currently break in, handle youngsters and do pre-training. It is true you here a lot of rubbish about them though.
They all hack out alone, wear a 'normal' saddle. Jumping wise, they do jump poles and barrels.
At the point yard we did have one that would not jump anything other than a chase fence, despite his old trainer trying!
I do find though hurdlers can be the worst to re-train to jump, especially not very good ones! Flat horses don't know anything about jumping which can make it easier. An experienced chase horse often will want a bit more speed than what is required, however are generally brilliant and will jump whatever you point them at, with the odd exception of course. Hurdling requires jumping very fast. My mare is far to fast, but very clever, its a bit like jumping a cat :D
The NH horse which I am tying to give away is brilliant over a fence, I was jumping logs on him for the first time yesterday and he is a machine! :)

BellaContessa

Visit site
I've just recently bought my first ex-racer (July)and think he's fantastic.

As for how to find one I just emailed a few racing yards and let them know what I was looking for (height, age, what discipline I was hoping to do) and a few got back to me with suitable horses. Bought the first one I went to see despite him being a little smaller than I was hoping for he was exactly what I was looking for! Hoping to get him out to his first BE at the start of next season!

The only thing I would watch for is their feet, my boy's horn is a bit crumbly and a friend at my yard had one that could never keep shoes on.

Other than that they're really fantastic horses and a lot of fun to own! Good luck!