ex steeplechaser that won't jump even a cross pole

emmaismay

New User
Visit site
My 16.3 tb 8 year old gelding retired from steeplechasing and racing over hurdles in March this year. I bought him a couple of weeks ago after having him fully 5 stage vetted and he refuses to jump why? what am i doing wrong?
confused.gif

LCobby

Visit site
Maybe that's why he retired from racing?
Did you jump him or see him jumped when you tried him out?
What sort of fence- a hurdle or a show jump type fence?

carys220

Visit site
My 13.2hh fell pony wouldn't jump a small cross pole but would jump 4ft oxers..... presume she felt it was beneath her.

one reason could be he has never seen one before as it's something completely different to hurdles

or maybe he's realised he has his own brain and doesn't have to jump
tongue.gif

emmaismay

New User
Visit site
thank you for all your replies! I did see him jump a cross pole when I viewed him but the seller was very reluctant to jump him but when she did he jumped nicely and was very rounded for an ex racer! when he was racing they ran him in french blinkers and I know nothing about using anything like that. I have show jumped for many years and have never had a horse that is so reluctant to jump even a very small jump. He can be lazy sometimes but really dosn't want to jump.

hadfos

Visit site
Jump sour
frown.gif
...give him some time away from jumping
smile.gif
,my friend had 1 that did the same,she had to give him quite some time off and then went back to basic cross poles after he had enjoyed hacking and chilling in a field
smile.gif

You are doing nothing wrong,get him interested in other things again
smile.gif
,let him hack out with no pressure and bring in the jumping later
smile.gif

emmaismay

New User
Visit site
Thank you! I am glad to hear that someone else has had the same problem! The girl that sold him to me had him at a livery yard that does lots of bsja events so it is quite possible that she over jumped him as soon as he finished racing and that's why she didn't want to show him to me jumping,he probably did the same with her. Do you think that the blinker things are significant?

hadfos

Visit site
In racing yes,temporary fix...not in our lines of jumping
frown.gif
,let him enjoy some time off and be a horse....sounds like he come from racing gone straight to jumping and is stale as hell....doctor green(lots of turnout with friends) and lots of hacking..you can school whilst hacking but makes it interesting,let him chill out and undo his brain
smile.gif
...it will pay off but it wont happen overnight...patience and he will come right if you go about it slowly and quietly
grin.gif
,get him enjoying life again
smile.gif

emmaismay

New User
Visit site
That's what we will do then! Thank you so much for your advice it all makes great sense he is such a lovely boy and he is only 8 so plenty of time!!
laugh.gif

hadfos

Visit site
that you have....ex racers are fantastic,alot of my friends have ex flat horses so they take to jumping and love it...different,but they all have the racing brain issue to get over
smile.gif
....jumpers stale....not the most interesting life ny racehorse leads...you will be fine,and sound like you are prepared to help him become a horse that enjoys his working life again....am sure you will both progress really well,especially as you are prepared to let him relax
grin.gif

Good luck and keep us informed
smile.gif

Bess

Visit site
Where I keep my horse at livery they have a lot of ex P2P'ers and they are left to have a couple of months off and then re-schooled. Firstly by just quietly hacking out and then hacking and schooling in the arena. And then when they are going ok they are sold on.

Zebedee

Visit site
Nothing to add really, but I once met the people who used to have Red Rum on 'holiday livery'. They said he wouldn't jump anything at all unless he was racing !!

Fairynuff

Visit site
A-he could be sick to death of jumping. B-he may only jump in a herd like situation. C-you cant expect him to showjump when all hes ever known is jumping at speed and FLAT over the jump. D-maybe you need to have the help of an expert to re-school him. I would have turned him away for a welll earned chill out and brought him back slowly with hacking out and schooling. Why do you want to jump him so soon. poor boy
frown.gif
. Mairi. PS, 5*vettings do not quarantee that he will jump 5ft fences
smile.gif

doris2008

Visit site
My ex racer still has issues with cross poles!! He was a jumper & so is capable but he has real issues with c/poles! He will always, without fail overjump them massivley!!

I would give him some chill out time & then start again. I don't think my boy has seen trotting poles let alone a brightly coloured fence, it will all need introducing gradually.

Having said that I have always found mine does make a lovely shape over a jump & doesn't find it over exciting or rush his fences.

Give him some breathing space & give him some time & I'm sure he'll make you a lovely little jumper.