Exciting times but confusing... limited access, turnout paddock?

Lintel

Visit site
Well we have the house!!!
So excited but now so confused.
We have really limited access for lorries you could get a skip lorry round maybe!
The driveway is huge once your round the initial 15ft wide and 90 degree angle turn.

I'll be making an all weather turn out and having taken some advice already from you lovely folks I've decided to leave the red chips down and put some membrane down. The area is 14x11m and I'm not sure what is the best surface to put down on it.

I want something soft not road planings etc.
But it's going to be a pain in the rear end getting tonnes of "surface" round as we can't get a lorry round so it would be bulk bag upon bag. Therefore costing more.. Not something of factored in. I can get my car and cheval trailer round.

What would you do.. You've all been so helpful so far please more advice!
Also planning on putting 3x2 slabs down as stable floor rather than the dirt floor currently there. Will this be ok, has anyone done this?

Thank you!!!

Mince Pie

Visit site
I would ask if the company supplying the surface if they have a hand lift which can be used to move builders sacks around. It's what I'm going to have to do when I finally get to the point of putting topsoil in the garden, I need about a tonne and the access is either a 2 ft alley at the side of the house, or over a 6ft wall and into the garden. I'm hoping to get a hand lift and bring it down the side.

paddi22

Visit site
i was looking into turnout surfaces and we have a similar setup with awkward access. most of the companies said they had smaller vehicles that could transport smaller quantities but it added costs to dewliveries. The other option they had was to send a larger truck, but forklift ton bags up our lane

paddi22

Visit site
we are going for rubber chippings with ours. one company sold them in ton bags and said people often picked them in horseboxes from them

Lintel

Visit site
we are going for rubber chippings with ours. one company sold them in ton bags and said people often picked them in horseboxes from them

That's interesting to know I'd half thought of collecting as it seems to be the cheapest option at the moment.
Would anyone happen to know whether 20 tonne trucks would be willing to drive over a dry field as there would be access this way? I'd been advised that they wouldn't due to a possibility of getting stuck.

zizz

Visit site
Put a tarp down and dump as close as you can. You can hire a mini digger and dumper truck for the day to move and level it, works out cheaper than paying the extra for dumpy bags ime

indie1282

Visit site
Most companies will have a smaller wagon but the cost will be higher or you see if what your buying comes in tonne bags and they might be able to crane it of in the lane. Or collect it in your trailer.

meesha

Visit site
My access is very tight, I had my arena surface delivered to guy who did arena then he brought it round in tractor/silage thing. Still tight to get in but just did it, much cheaper than smaller loads. Ask farmers locally.

Alternatively sort the access now, not that expensive to widen culvert if that is your access, more piping would need to go in rean then stone amd retaining bards, well worth it in long run. Beware though friend has widened her access and still couldn't get an Arctic or again and drag in. If doing work to house definately invest in better access, means you could get a bigger lorry too if looking at transport!

meesha

Visit site
My access is very tight, I had my arena surface delivered to guy who did arena then he brought it round in tractor/silage thing. Still tight to get in but just did it, much cheaper than smaller loads. Ask farmers locally.

Alternatively sort the access now, not that expensive to widen culvert if that is your access, more piping would need to go in rean then stone amd retaining bards, well worth it in long run. Beware though friend has widened her access and still couldn't get an Arctic or again and drag in. If doing work to house definately invest in better access, means you could get a bigger lorry too if looking at transport!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can you not get it dumped at the entrance and hire a machine to spread it. It would probably be cheaper over all than buying in tonne bags which will still be awkward to handle and need spread. Or can you alter the entrance way as this might be an issue at other times too.

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks very much so far unfortunately crane isn't an option as out house is away at the end of the drive and it backs onto fields. Neither is widening as it part owner and the reason its so narrow/tight is due to other houses which unfortunately probably wouldn't see the need for me to knock a bit of there house down to get an arctic round to me haha!

Lintel

Visit site
Can you not get it dumped at the entrance and hire a machine to spread it. It would probably be cheaper over all than buying in tonne bags which will still be awkward to handle and need spread. Or can you alter the entrance way as this might be an issue at other times too.

Would love to but we share access so I'd end up blocking everyone else out :/
Predicaments argh.

Lintel

Visit site
Exactly .. All these things I didn't think about when I bought the house :/
Thinking of maybe hiring a tipper transit or just using my trailer to collect sand etc
Not sure if there are any options left as I don't want to pester the Farmer.. Already have done to remove the muck heap the previous proprietors left behind grr