Exercise bandages, what do you do?

charlie55

Visit site
Thats what i first thought, but, i have seen so many ridden pics lately of bandages going under the fetlocks i wasnt sure...

kerilli

Visit site
those big fat polo-type bandages that a lot of people work in with, maybe they have more flex and give than the old exercise bandages i used to use - certainly a lot of people put them on like stable bandages and ride in them...
i've been v anti ex-bandage since witnessing a girl sj years ago, front bandage started unravelling half way through round and god knows how horse kept its feet, not nice to watch at all.

Starman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't used exercise bandages for about 20 years!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, although I haven't used them for 10. Kerilli's giving away her age
wink.gif

measles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
those big fat polo-type bandages that a lot of people work in with, maybe they have more flex and give than the old exercise bandages i used to use - certainly a lot of people put them on like stable bandages and ride in them...
i've been v anti ex-bandage since witnessing a girl sj years ago, front bandage started unravelling half way through round and god knows how horse kept its feet, not nice to watch at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are made of fleece and have to elastic support element from what I've seen of a few of my liveries. I was the child whizzing around a xc with an exercise bandage unravelling and I am not keen to use them after that!

millitiger

Visit site
i bandage to go just around the ergot then back up again.
mine are fleece, stretchy ones and don't affect the flexion of the fetlock at all.

i only use mine for flatwork clinics/ lessons as i am vain and think they look nicer than boots!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I use them when coming back into work, or teaching something new if there is any risk of her knocking herself. She hates knocking herself, and hates the sound of boots if/when they touch. Only use them infrequently though now she is much stronger in her back and topline. Never bandaged under the fetlock though.

TarrSteps

Visit site
As FB, I only ever use "polos" and wrap around the fetlock, as that's where I find many horses need the coverage. I like them as daily wear for school work as they don't rub and horses don't ever react negatively to them. (Except for the young horse that had them put on when I was already mounted, wasn't paying attention, and then absolutely freaked out when she started to move her legs, running backwards away from them.)

I have used elastic exercise wraps - Saratoga bandages or vetwrap, like race horses sometimes wear - but only over Porter boots (hard shell under cushioning) and preferably sewn or at least taped.

I would never use polos in wet ground or xc as it's not what they're for. Even for jumping of any height, and certainly in the ring, I'd go for boots.

charlie55

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies, my boy doesnt jump so they will be just for flat work. He will be coming back into work in a fortnight after 7 weeks box rest and 2 weeks turn out so id like him to be as protected as possible.

Frodo, do you use gamgee underneith or straight onto the skin? x

KatB

Visit site
I use polo bandages and They go round the fetlock, but slightly higher at the front that the back of the joint. This allows the flexion but covers and protects the joint.
smile.gif
I use them behiond for the same reasons as tarrsteps
smile.gif

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
mine go on the same as frodo's-fleecey polo wraps direct against the skin, wrapped *just* under the fetlock then back up.

wouldnt jump in them particularly though, prefer proper tendon boots for that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
front bandage started unravelling half way through round and god knows how horse kept its feet, not nice to watch at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw one at a local unaff hunter trials last year, through water = both front bandages unravelling, pony being kicked on to go like stink, tripped twice and bandage had torn off once rider kept kicking
crazy.gif
No one pulled her up, I know that she was about 4 fences from the end so maybe they didnt have time to get message through but even son
crazy.gif
she didnt even get off after the finish until I shouted at her to stop.

charlie55

Visit site
Oh dear
crazy.gif
I'd be terrified to showjump in bandages for that reason, let alone XC and through water and mud.

I do find it very interesting to see how many people use gamgee and how many dont. Is there any reasoning as to why you do/don't use it? x

freyaandrogue

Visit site
i have the exercise bandages that are fleece directly against the leg and then elastic material on top. they really stay in place and have a double velcros fastening to make sure they stay in place. i do mine to the ergot and back up again, not below.

i use mine for showjumping, purely because he's a sweaty boy and if he has boots he gets sweat rash and his legs swell up! the bandages prevent this.