Exercise ideas to engage hind end..

Coblette

Visit site
Hi HHO guru, looking for some exercises I can do in the field to get pony working from behind. I don’t have a school or any poles so thinking work on lots of transitions? I have a lesson next week but just looking for some bits to work on before then. Thank you muchly :)

Coblover63

Visit site
Transitions transitions transitions. But you can make them interesting by timing them. Set number of walk steps before set number of walk steps. Make them quick and snappy. "Almost" transitions are also good, in trot, collect for walk, and then send forward again.
This. I call it "Ten and ten". Ten walk paces, ten trot paces, then back to walk for ten etc. It really gets them listening as they start to anticipate a transition and you have the challenge of trying to be precise. When you've nailed that and get cocky, you can try five and five! ?

Asking for a couple of steps backwards and then moving forwards straight into trot is good too.

And finally, if you can get some poles, alternate raised are fab too.

Cowpony

Visit site
Works well, but can be a bit frustrating if you have a horse that can count! :D I have to mix up the number of strides after a few repetitions, or she ends up thinking she's in charge.....

Coblette

Visit site
Thanks guys, been working on lots of transitions and will try the ten and ten then five and five ?? And will look at getting a few poles

Carrottom

Visit site
If your field is as dry as mine you might be limited. Today I was .mixing up walk piris with turn on the forehand then some shoulder fore. Nearly all walk with a few transitions just to get more forwards.

Sprig

Visit site
If I was you I would be trying to find some 'poles', they are so useful. Any fallen trees/branches near you? Old fence posts? I bet if you ask around locally you will be able to pick up all sorts for free.

Alibear

Visit site
Haunches in and haunches out, use one rein to ask as it's the shoulders you also need to encourage to lift to enable the stepping under, to start don't switch between them. Just work on one way for a bit and then the other. You only want 1 or 2 steps and then send them forward, then if they start to short stride again go back to it. Can be done in a walk or trot. It's been a revelation for me over the last 2 weeks. Don't do hundreds either, it's actually quite hard work for them (can you tell I overdid it).

Splash2310

Visit site
Agree with the points on transitions! I find halt to trot and trot to halt particularly helpful too.

Rein-back or turn on the forehand into trot as well.

Leg yielding on hacks around puddles is a favourite of mine too - not that you can do that at the moment if it’s as dry as it is here!