Exercise program post suspensory neurectomy

samp

Visit site
Hi Guys looking for a bit of advice from anyone who's horse has had the surgery and the exercise program you used post suregery? I had the surgery just over 3 months ago, mare had 10 days box rest, 4 weeks paddock rest and the last 6 weeks building up walk to 1 hour and just introduced trotting. I am not sure what to do now with schooling etc. We have just stuck to hacking out as our school is far too deep

Izzwizz

Visit site
Hacking is so good for strengthening up a horse who has had surgery or box rest. I would steer clear of the school if its too deep.. Speak to your vet for guidance, they are the best people to advise and know your horses medical details.

charmeroo

Visit site
I would be very cautious about introducing schooling and would carry on hacking gently for a while yet but avoiding mud/sand etc. I'm sure that your vet has given you advice on the possible longterm effectiveness of this operation and I have to be honest and say that my horse had this operation on both hinds and just over 12 months later was lame again with severe lesions in the ligaments. We had started schooling again and tbh if I was in the same situation again I don't think that I would have gone down this route and would have just enjoyed hacking him. He's since had 15 months off work completely and was brought back into gentle walk hacking in March this year - however, whilst he wants to trot sometimes he is not sound.

Sorry to be so negative - I guess that what I'm trying to say is don't push the schooling - this op is not guaranteed longterm successful and you could easily lose the level of soundness that you currently have. If you do decide to go ahead - I would make sure that you ride on the best surface that you possibly can and try not to have the urge to do too much too soon!

samp

Visit site
Really that is not good, my vet TBH wasn't that helpful on an ideal exercise program. I am happy to stick to hacking for as long as necessary and to only start canter when long track of grass. I am wary of doing too much to soon.

PC Steele

Visit site
Hi Guys looking for a bit of advice from anyone who's horse has had the surgery and the exercise program you used post suregery? I had the surgery just over 3 months ago, mare had 10 days box rest, 4 weeks paddock rest and the last 6 weeks building up walk to 1 hour and just introduced trotting. I am not sure what to do now with schooling etc. We have just stuck to hacking out as our school is far too deep

My horse had a neurectomy and I turned it out for 6 months!! It has been sound as a pound since and recently did a little dressage comp on him my advice is DONT RUSH the longer you can leave it the better!!!!