Exercises for a lazy jumper?

nato

Visit site
As the title suggests really.. My horse is economical to say the least and can sometimes be lazy with her legs (front). She has plenty of bounce to her canter but I feel like she doesn't respect them.

I've tried no boots and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Just want to get her using her back more rather than hauling herself over the fence.

Shay

Visit site
Its difficult to make any suggestions without seeing you and the horse. What about a couple of lessons with a good instructor? First things first...You do need to rule out pain - back, teeth, tack. Is she not using her back because something hurts? Then - Are you in balance or possibly a tiny bit forward? If you fold too soon you can bring your weight over her shoulders before she has really risen. I see a lot of kids coming out of riding schools doing that and depending on rider weight to horse, horse's age and height jumped that split second can make a surprising difference. Parallel with that - is she a bit sour? How often is she jumped? Might she be bored? Turning her away for a month or so might help if this is the issue.

In general horses don't want to hit poles (with the possible exception of schooling using the ultra lightweight poles - not a good idea!) If she isn't bring her front end up then there is a reason and you need to find it. Exercises are not likely to be the best answer until you have ruled out everything else. As I started - the best option is to get a professional to assess you and her.

nato

Visit site
Thank you, I do get lessons every 2 weeks and they've said she's lazy and doesn't work over her back enough. She genuinely does not seem to care if she hits them! So we've been doing a lot of work on the flat to improve her way of going, and I have been doing gridwork with V poles and square oxers.

It could be me, my jumping position is getting better but I'm a bit of a nervous jumper so can rush her or back her off a bit too much.

be positive

Visit site
If you feel you are contributing to her lack of care, tightness through her back then that is the place to work on to give her a chance to make a decent effort and use herself properly.

I would use canter poles until you are both going through consistently, her using herself and making an effort to place her feet properly between each one, you riding the canter without being tempted to kick on or pull, then leave the poles and place a single fairly high x pole at the end so you continue to ride the poles in the way you were before the jump went up, you know the striding is correct so should be able to ride exactly the same as you were, the x can be built up once you are maintaining the stride pattern, put a back rail on so the x still encourages her to pick up, the back rail encourages her to stay in the air longer and helps her improve her technique.

I would then start to put a second fence within the line of poles, either 1 or 2 strides apart, leaving poles in between, bounces will be useful, make the x poles high at the sides so she makes a real effort, avoid single straight rails as they will not help her at this stage, square oxers may help but without seeing the horse it is hard to tell, if they are used and the horse is wrong they can encourage what you don't want, front legs not coming up in time, a filler under may be more useful so she drops her head and looks or a pole on the ground 1ft in front of the rail to encourage her to pick up off the front rail of the fence.

I would make use of the various methods such as V poles to help but only once you are both more secure as a partnership, she needs time to get up in front if she is not the most natural jumper, any interfering from the rider will take away some of the time she has and also take her mind off the jumping effort she is making, keeping things very simple and taking the time to get the very basics established will be worthwhile long term and you have tools in the box to return to if it starts to deteriorate later, mine regularly go back to cantering poles, x poles even when they are competing it does no harm to go back to basics.

nato

Visit site
Thanks be positive, that's really helpful and I'll try that. There's definitely something in there regarding the rhythm - I had a clinic with a showjumper and he said leaving her alone was the best thing I could do for her :) she's 11 so knows her job!

Shay,I only realised I responded to just half your questions - sorry I'm on a phone.

Regarding pain - teeth are done every 6 months or less as she has ETR, and with this in mind I get her back done around the same time as she usually starts to hold herself defensively when she's due her teeth done. I just got a brand new saddle fitted as her old one really wasn't suiting either of us and she is much freer through her shoulders. Saddle fitter is due back in 6 weeks to readjust it.

Regarding her routine, she is only jumped once a week - twice if we have a competition on the weekend. We do a mix of schooling, lunging, polework and hacking during the week as she needs to be kept on her toes, she's too smart! I also mix it up by taking her places to school - a new hacking location, clinics or hiring courses. We do low level eventing and she adores her cross country - it really is her strong suit.

She gets a holiday at least twice a year, usually for 2 weeks. Around Christmas time and just before summer usually. She's just back from a 2 week holiday and enjoying her work now, she couldn't wait to come in and cantered up to me in the field!

I do think a lot of it comes from me so I will try your exercises be positive.. But most people comment that she's not a forward thinking horse and uses the minimum energy required so I think there's a bit in that too. I've been working a lot on the flat to get her between my leg and hands and respecting my leg, so hopefully that coupled with good polework will help.

Barnacle

Visit site
You can try some free jumping to establish whether it is indeed you (or tack) that's the issue... Get her jumping grids loose and it should very quickly become clear what shape she makes unencumbered.

nato

Visit site
You can try some free jumping to establish whether it is indeed you (or tack) that's the issue... Get her jumping grids loose and it should very quickly become clear what shape she makes unencumbered.

This is a great idea, thanks Barnacle. I'll try that!