Exercises for control whilst jumping!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Do any of you guys have some exercise specifically for developing control whilst jumping?
I know of a few but more is always useful!

Ones I know of are 1 jump and jumping in figure of 8. Then adding 2 further jumps on the outer sides of the figure 8 so three jumps in a line.
Then 1 jump followed by 2 next to each other, so you can either turn right or left to a different jump.

Any more? He just tries to tank when the jumps are small as he doesn't respect them, but he's not ready (fitness mainly) to be jumping any bigger. When jumping bigger, he's a lot better and really waits and listens...but need to get this down as it will help his technique overall.

be positive

Visit site
Gridwork using a pole on the way in so you come in at trot, using bounces should get him thinking, improve his technique and stop him rushing, keep changing things so he doesn't start to take charge, you can keep the fences low with plenty of variety it will be far better than jumping unrelated fences as he will learn to look and wait with less input from the rider so eventually the rider can do less and achieve more.
Canter poles on a 20m circle, use 4 so you ride over each one in the centre, it is far more tricky than it sounds, then put 2 up as small fences, when he can do 2 and stay on the circle over them and the 2 poles build up to 4 small fences, he will struggle if he is not between hand and leg and don't overdo it as it is very hard work.

Embo

Visit site
...Canter poles on a 20m circle, use 4 so you ride over each one in the centre, it is far more tricky than it sounds, then put 2 up as small fences, when he can do 2 and stay on the circle over them and the 2 poles build up to 4 small fences, he will struggle if he is not between hand and leg and don't overdo it as it is very hard work.

Yes, we've done this before - it's actually really difficult on a horse that rushes. It was like doing the wall of death on B at first!

I.M.N.

Visit site
My old eventer (now retired to hacking and still a nutter at 22) was a nightmare in the SJ for rushing, the only thing that ever worked for him was something Corinne Bracken taught us, basically you halt as soon after a fence as possible, not violently, but firmly, then assuming you've probably stopped a fair way away to start off with you turn on the spot and go back over the fence doing the same thing, when you're stopping too close to the jump to be able to spin and do it the other way you start jumping, stopping for a moment and then moving of forwards, if your stopping starts getting further away again start turning from the halt back over the fence and so on and so forth. Then do that round a course, jump, halt, move off, jump, halt, move off, etc. We tried everything with mine and this absolutely transformed him. Also, if it works, don't use to constantly, throw a halt in randomly so the horse never knows if it's coming, it means every time they land they're thinking there might be a halt.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)
Will defo be giving these ideas a go! I've done the 4 jumps on a 20m circle on other horses before, so thanks for reminding me of it! As it was a really useful exercise for getting them into a nice rythm popping over small jumps rather than racing around like a lunatic.

Starzaan

Visit site
My old eventer (now retired to hacking and still a nutter at 22) was a nightmare in the SJ for rushing, the only thing that ever worked for him was something Corinne Bracken taught us, basically you halt as soon after a fence as possible, not violently, but firmly, then assuming you've probably stopped a fair way away to start off with you turn on the spot and go back over the fence doing the same thing, when you're stopping too close to the jump to be able to spin and do it the other way you start jumping, stopping for a moment and then moving of forwards, if your stopping starts getting further away again start turning from the halt back over the fence and so on and so forth. Then do that round a course, jump, halt, move off, jump, halt, move off, etc. We tried everything with mine and this absolutely transformed him. Also, if it works, don't use to constantly, throw a halt in randomly so the horse never knows if it's coming, it means every time they land they're thinking there might be a halt.

This exercise has worked miracles for my young horse. My instructor made me do it when he was getting into the habit of grabbing the bit and legging it after a fence. He's gone from almost uncontrollable, to light as a feather with this exercise.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
mmm think I need to give this a go with the oik - he's starting to bog off with me once he's worked out where the fences are in the school. He needs to understand that he DOES NOT know better!