Exercises for horse on forehand in canter

Morganlafaye

Visit site
My irish bog pony (cobx) is a lovely little chap and very willing, but I'm struggling to get him off his forehand in canter. Anyone got any ideas?

His trot is much, much better now, and we work on it with lots of transitions within the pace and between the paces. He's got a hidden dressage diva in that cobby body!

However, I'm trying the same method with canter, but with less success. When I got him, he was ridden in an American gag, went hollow, didn't take a contact and the underside of his neck was overdeveloped. Now we have the opposite problem but with the same root cause - he will tunnel for Australia, and tries to lean on me and go faster instead of taking weight behind. He's now ridden in a NS snaffle with losenge.

He's an established horse, not a youngster, good jumper with reasonable balance, short back and nice paces, but finds it hard to connect front and back ends and work correctly. All the usual checks have been made and saddler due out again shortly (saddle was adjusted by her in November).

The fact I've done the checks, and his whole attitude (he's a very cheerful, happy sort - loves his work) makes me think it's a long term training issue more than a pain or discomfort issue, but I'm not being very successful in dealing with it.

I'm thinking lots of half-halts (he will ignore these in canter unless I give a strong aid - something I need to work on!), more walk to canter transitions, more lateral work in canter. Anything else? We've been working on flying changes for the SJ, but because he's not engaged properly, he has to buck to get the elevation to change legs. I was really working hard on canter today, and got a couple of fab flying changes from a decent, slower, more uphill canter, but we're not consistent.

Any thoughts? Exercises to try?

Thanks!