Exercises for topline

JFTDWS

Visit site
So since the clarification - you want general schooling exercises to play with - well a coach can help there, too, but I'm sure people can suggest their favourites (there are lots of similar threads if you search). I never know what to write in them because the best schooling exercises are the ones which are the right thing at the right time, for the horse, rather than a general one you think sounds interesting in theory. I tend to spend time on youtube watching people work horses (in training for whatever I'm doing at the time - schooling, jumping, barrel racing, whatever :p ) and take ideas from that.

Lately I've been watching a lot of George Morris hunter clinics and him riding - there's lots about it I don't care for, but there are also interesting bits and different exercises / approaches. I've been working a lot on counter canter with my mare as it's easy to do out hacking (picking the twisty tracks!) and working her into a contact, with a higher head carriage (I don't want her too "round" or deep in her neck for what she's currently doing, but back lifted, forward etc). I also do a lot of direct transitions to halt, rein back, direct out to trot / canter - partly because she has an epic sliding stop and I like to develop her aids to be clear when I want it and when I want a dressage halt, and partly because it's a useful straight line exercise which is easy to use out hacking. However, none of this relates specifically to building top line, and is possibly unhelpful for your current aims.

You might try the 101 schooling / 101 dressage exercise books for inspiration.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
@Rowreach I would understand if that was aimed at me, I have a habit of tipping forwards that I am putting a lot of effort into working on, I've had a couple of lessons since the photo above which have picked up on some things.

Is it possible that your saddle is tipping you forward/putting you in a bad position? Paradoxically, if your saddle is too low at the back then you will tip forward.

Chippers1

Visit site
Is it possible that your saddle is tipping you forward/putting you in a bad position? Paradoxically, if your saddle is too low at the back then you will tip forward.

Yes, this was taken before I had the saddler and it's been altered now as it was too low at the back so it's sitting better. I think I'll try and get some more up to date photos too so I can critique what we're currently like :)