Exercises to even up the rider?

Solo1

Visit site
It's becoming more and more prominent to me that I'm drastically weaker in my left arm than my right, and thus compensate by using more left leg, meaning that my right leg is weaker than my left. I think this all stems from my left hand weakness, my mare always escapes through her left shoulder which means I use my leg to hold her there, so now SHE'S straight but I'm still not!

It's more noticeable in lateral work; she's just started baby leg-yielding, lovely and soft and clear steps on the right rein (when my right rein is stronger and can give clear half-halts) but on the left rein, my right hand seems to hold her, the left rein's giving her conflicting signals and she ends up hollowing and just flexing her neck with a few shuffly steps.

My instructor's picked up on it, so we're now working on it on the horse. However, is there anything I could be doing off the horse to help even up? Will doing (small) weights with the left arm help?

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Yes weights would help, but make sure you work both sides evenly (like a horse. If you had a problem on the left rein you wouldn't ignore the right). However it's likely that your weakness stems from a weak shoulder girdle (mine does) so I would also recommend pilates. It's about making your core strong and your limbs long and strong. The first couple of sessions I did I ached across my showers and in my legs as I was 'hanging on' with my limb muscles rather than using my core. Once I got used to it though my deep abdominals would ache as I learnt to use them properly and my shoulders evened right out.

Hope that makes sense. also try doing things with your left hand. You're probably very right handed.