Exercises to help sharp horse except the leg

DoesDressage

Visit site
My young horse is quite sharp and gets flustered when I have to use a stronger aid for things. When she distracted the canter trans aid has to be a little stronger than normal which then upsets the whole canter. She will leg yield/ shoulder in quite nicely in walk and trot but mostly from my seat. If I do use my legs she tends to either become hot of almost push against them. My other issue is that she can rear when faced with something scary/something she doesn't want to do. I find it hard to keep her infront of my leg without making her crazy. If I let her keep ticking along underneath me she is beautiful and light in the contact and will stretch and come back up onto the bit no probelm. If I use my legs too much for her liking she contact is very inconsistent, she snatches, shakes her head and becomes very heavy particularly to the left. Back/saddle/teeth feet all fine. Fed a high fibre low starch diet and is on an ulcer treatment program to see if that helps.

Shay

Visit site
I know its a cop out but... have you tried a good instructor? Or just a knowledgeable pair of eyes on the ground? I can think of quite a range of things this could be, with an equal range of possible answers. You would probably get more from help in person than from a forum I'm afraid!

be positive

Visit site
A good instructor would be the most sensible route, to me it sounds as if she is more than likely going along looking pretty in a false way slightly behind both the leg and hand, the horse must accept the leg before it will be truly working from behind up to a genuine contact, the fact that she fusses when you use your legs makes me feel that she must learn to accept it properly even if you go through a stage of her messing about as until the basics are in place you will struggle to really progress.
Doing some work out hacking is often the best way as they are more interested and forward so forget about you putting a bit more pressure on, lots of leg yielding down the lanes can really help.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I know its a cop out but... have you tried a good instructor? Or just a knowledgeable pair of eyes on the ground? I can think of quite a range of things this could be, with an equal range of possible answers. You would probably get more from help in person than from a forum I'm afraid!

A 'cop out' to get decent instruction?!?! :eek: :eek:

DonkeyClub

Visit site
I find they rear if people hang on to the inside rein too much! It's amazing how that is often the cause!& if she is head snatching / tossing a lot and not willing to go forwards enough, then this suggests that too much hand is the problem

DoesDressage

Visit site
Thank you all. She hacks out twice a week at the moment with a sensible companion as she has only been under saddle for 9 months plus she jumps/lunges one a week too so with her 1/2 days off she only gets schooled 3 times a week. She over tracks in both the walk and trot but the canter gets a little tight. I have a trainer that comes regularly who helps a lot but know you guys have all sorts of horses so thought someone might have some ideas that have worked for them. I think I just have to have my leg on her at all times for her to get used to it. I think the first winter under saddle has been quite exciting for her.

oldvic

Visit site
Leg yielding from your seat is not leg yielding. To do this they step forward and sideways away from the leg.
Many horses will overtrack even if they are not really forward to the contact. It sounds like she is dictating terms to you if she is happy in tick along (not working) but becomes resistant when you ask for more. I suspect the lightness is actually not really facing the contact. Make sure your leg allows her to breathe - a tight leg tends to make them hot/ resentful, especially mares. Your canter aid should stay the same. If she is distracted, it is not the moment to ask. Get her attention, then ask.