Exercises to help with getting infront of horse on take of sj?

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
Anyone got any good exercises?

I used to just jump the old horse because he was excellent, if you were a fration infront of the movement he would bulldoze anything even if it was only 70cm.. but I have been a bit spoilt with the good ponies
smile.gif

I've been riding some warmbloods (yuck
tongue.gif
wink.gif
) while I have nothing to ride at home and Find it really difficult to stay behind them to help them be a bit more careful infront when I jump them?

A quick update on the darkbays... Arth is walking out and being such a good boy- halo is superglued on! I stil don't trust him though so he has a bridle and loose side reins on out of fear of denting anyones car!!! William Blane is getting on really well with Nora, said he thinks she's a really nice horse that just has a few attitude problems, probably from being in pain etc. She's thrown a few naps at him and its taken him some time to work her through them but he has like I used to... but the difference is he has the time and space to do it every day now she's not in pain! And his lower leg is a little bit stronger than mine
tongue.gif
He's going to put her on the box and do a few small comps with her while I'm stuck "revising"
smirk.gif
fingers crossed!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
The best exercise not to jump in front of the horse is not to look at the jump. Pick a point high beyond and DO NOT look at the jump, or if you brave you can close your eyes
grin.gif

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
close your eyes. I have spent quite a while doing because I used to get so in front of the movement. Also wrong time of year but Hunting has really helped me, after a few tumbles because I got in front of the movement I am just about managing to get it into my head that I do not need to look like I'm jumping a 5 foot oxer when it is only 3ft!

kerilli

Visit site
i try to think of keeping my shoulders up, and not folding so much. Tina Ure told me to imagine every fence has a huge drop on the landing side... that helps too. i get much too forward, and it's a really hard habit to break if you've done it long term, so try to fix yours now!
wink.gif

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Sometimes imagining a pole infront of your shoulders accross your chest which is only removed on take off helps

looking ahead and up at a fixed point helps

I like K's imaginary drop I think that works well

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
iTina Ure told me to imagine every fence has a huge drop on the landing side... that helps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm a showjumper, I'm a wuss, I would have a heart attack if it even crossed my mind that there might be a minuscule drop of any kind on the landing!
blush.gif
grin.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Speak to SC as she has a fantastic method taught in the USA. Roughly it involves looking between the horses ears and as soon as you can no longer see the back pole between its ears then you go forwards. I think her trainer developed this method because she went blind in one eye and could not judge distance effectively so this method helped her judge distances.

rlhnlk

Visit site
I could loan you my welsh cob who would ditch you if you tipped forwards even slightly early
grin.gif
. What I have found works for me is to almost over ride the fence. Keep them really between hand and leg and maintain the contact. If you fold too early you will most likely drop the contact so concentrate on this and keeping them in front of you. It worked for me but I'm not sure I've explained it well.
crazy.gif

lizfh65

Visit site
Hi

I try to keep my head tilted back and my chin up as I approach the fence. It takes will power to do it and sometimes I fail, but if I get it correct it works!