Exercises to strengthen horse's shoulder

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am bringing my mare back into work after nearly three years off for a shoulder injury. It was pretty bad in that vets thought she would never even be paddock sound. She as been paddock sound now for two years and with the okay from the vets, I have started riding her again. I do not want to lunge for obvious reasons so am long reining and walking her ridden over poles in straight lines and big circles. Due to the recent windy conditions in which she has always been :eek::eek::eek:, I have had to occupy her mind more by doing a little shoulder in and leg yield. She seems to find this effortless on both reins and has stayed sound, so I am not worried that this is straining her too much. I have been extremely surprised at just how straight and supple she is despite having so long off work.

Does any one know of any flatwork exercises that are especially good for strengthening the horses shoulders that I can do in walk. I want to stay in walk for at least another four weeks.

KentOsteo

Visit site
How brilliant that your horse is defying the vets and your back in the saddle! The shoulders are obviously the part that works the forelimb, but have important anatomical connections to the neck, thoracic sling, back and pelvis. So being very unspecific, any exercise that is allowing her to correctly engage all if those parts and have the whole body working in fluidity. Unlike humans it's quite hard to isolate specific muscles in the horse to do strengthening exercises (not sure a horse can be taught biceps curls!) but certainly lots of transitions in walk, halt squarely, rein back, turn on forehand/haunches and easy lateral work will be good. Interspersed with lots if stretching!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you. I was thinking about doing some turn on the forehand only today but wondered if it would place too much strain on her. I will start to do some quarter turns in the next few days. She has been doing backing up unridden for the past year during her groundwork exercises and clicker training. She has managed to maintain an excellent top line which I think has helped her recovery a lot.

KentOsteo

Visit site
Brilliant! You can always try doing more 'difficult' things in hand - less strain on the musculoskeletal system that way. Ooo I've just started clicker training with my horses - sooooo interesting! Found it good for reaching the silly tb shoulder in without having a meltdown and panicking off like a crab!

TigerTail

Visit site
Lots of slow lateral work in walk, all v v correct. Rein back also useful.

Start the lateral stuff off in hand before doing it ridden to get the muscles used to the moves before adding your weight :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Brilliant! You can always try doing more 'difficult' things in hand - less strain on the musculoskeletal system that way. Ooo I've just started clicker training with my horses - sooooo interesting! Found it good for reaching the silly tb shoulder in without having a meltdown and panicking off like a crab!
Clicker training is brilliant. I taught her most things before she had the time off. She used to go and jump any jump I pointed at, then come back for a treat. Amazing mare. CT has helped keep her sane during the winter when turnout is only three hours a day. At least now I can also lightly ride her.
Raise alternate ends of poles on small buckets or pottys (Pound shop alert!)
So they look a bit like a zig zag?

Stretches them up a bit more

Will do that this week. Thank you!

Lots of slow lateral work in walk, all v v correct. Rein back also useful.

Start the lateral stuff off in hand before doing it ridden to get the muscles used to the moves before adding your weight :)

Thanks. I'm pleased some lateral work is good for her. Keeps the walking from getting too boring. She has been doing some ground work on and off since she came paddock sound a couple of years ago. Lots of backing up and sideways stuff. I'm just so pleased I can now ride her too. It will help me keep her trim.