Exerise/Quarter sheets

coss

Visit site
I have a rather wimpy horse, hates the cold/wet (don't we all?). Regularly see him diving for the field shelter when the clouds open. With this latest bout of cold weather I am curious to find if there are exercise sheets that are that bit warmer. He's trace clipped, has a yak coat everywhere else so already has some insulation over his quarters but I'm finding my equitheme fleece just isn't warm enough in this cold weather. I've got a mark todd waterproof with fleece lining and am seriously considering putting this over the fleece. Just wondered what warmer quarter sheets there are. Once he gets warm he works quite well but if he starts off cold he's in a poor sense of humour for most of the ride which isn't fair on either of us!

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
You can double them up, we do that on a couple at work that feel the cold. Can just make it a bit lumpy under your legs though, the thermatex ones always look very cosy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
With one OAP horse that was required to stand out in the cold I used a standard Thermatex rug that I placed under the saddle then folded back the front part under the top flaps, and topped the lot off with a waterproof / reflective / lined sheet.

Snug as a bug!

As the front was folded back under the flaps it never did slip back.

coss

Visit site
Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
You could look at the rambo night rider. I got one on sale (don't pay full price - they are on sale all over) before Christmas and it has proved its weight in gold. The neck piece really makes a difference. Really good and warm. I've not had it slip or pull down on the horse's withers at all.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've not had any issues with the woolen ones pulling down, but I don't have a shark fin withered horse. I don't use the girth loops, I put it on under the saddle and then pull it up into the gullet. Then lift the top saddle flap and fold the front corners over so that they are over the knee roll, but under the girth which should hold it in place.

You can get wrap around woolen ones from Friday Fox IIRC. :) It would probably be cheaper though to get a normal 2nd hand one and convert it to a wrap around.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have the horseware rambo wrap round fleece they are really thick so is the thermatex one neither move at all when they are on, I find the really thin ones just lift in the wind so are pretty useless.

coss

Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions :) Must admit I was quite disapointed in how flimsy the equitheme one is! Good when it's a cold frosty day but any hint of damp or breeze and his lordship gets upset.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a polypad one. It's amazing. Doubles as a saddle pad and sheet so saves tacking up time, is neat easy and fits beautifully.
I really really rate it. I'll try and find a link

Casey76

Visit site
Horze do a winter riding/exercise sheet, it has 200gm fill and is waterproof.

They fit really nicely (though no tail flap), and don’t flap in the wind.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I've not had any issues with the woolen ones pulling down, but I don't have a shark fin withered horse. I don't use the girth loops, I put it on under the saddle and then pull it up into the gullet. Then lift the top saddle flap and fold the front corners over so that they are over the knee roll, but under the girth which should hold it in place.

You can get wrap around woolen ones from Friday Fox IIRC. :) It would probably be cheaper though to get a normal 2nd hand one and convert it to a wrap around.

I actually have the wrap around Friday Fox one and its absolutely brilliant. Its not waterproof but then again the wool is thick and when its rained when we've been out, he's not got wet. Its really warm and lovely but not too thick. I would recommend a Friday Fox one 100%!!

https://www.fridayfox.co.uk/Easy-off-Exercise-Blanket

I've got the medium one for a 15.2hh and it fits just right.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Thermatex quarter sheets for sure. Thick and warm, but they also wick away any sweat, they 'sit' nicely on the horse, and as a bonus are easy to whip off whilst mounted.