Exmoors don't make children's ponies...and other such myths!

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Well we proved that wrong!!! Disclaimer...they can, and do make fabulous children's ponies. It's just amazing how many times I have heard the opposite!!! And I'm pleased to say we proved yesterday just how brilliant this ancient little breed is.

I have owned this pony since he was three and he's now ten. He used to fight against EVERYTHING and then one day it was as if a lightbulb went off in his head and he accepted that he had a happy home for life! I do everything on him but being 8.5 months pregnant at the mo he has been quiet this year. However there was an Exmoor show not to far way and we thought we would take along my husbands little cousin who recently started riding lessons. This was her first ever show!!! I must confess to waking up in the night in a blind panic...oh my goodness what was I thinking trusting the former 'asbo' with a child!!! But I needn't have worried. He was the dream pony, all day. He knew exactly where to go in the young handler and walked, trotted and stood quietly in all the right places. There was on eek moment in the lap of honour - he's frightened of clapping, and had a little shoot forward but jockey handled him like an old pro and he was soon calm and did a sweet little trot around. Very few in each class but as I said to jockey, it was all about a lovely day out, and everyone got a rosette, hurrah!

e4af1a77373dd986535a4ec4fed29672_zpse5e7beac.jpg

1459a124bd6f5d41f8521a0803f55f86_zpsdf10c6d8.jpg

We then decided we were feeling brave so did lead rein. I've never turned a pony or handler out for a lead rein class and it was all a bit pulled together and borrowed but I think all three looked lovely!!!

8496d019660863284b04bee4f389eeb4_zps64ca6776.jpg

80dd4d417dfd0e7fe7db199ac7b82757_zps483f95af.jpg

OH got a bit 'competitive dad!'(saw a glimpse of our future!!) although didnt realise ponies reins had twisted...never mind!!! :) There was a comedy moment when he had to mime frantically at me holding up fingers so I could remind him of the ponies age......We have only owned him seven years!!!

56439e0aa3ed95a1e7ad3611135c672f_zps6208d6e5.jpg

a895b425cac2e5407c68127b33b50f3e_zps03a1ae0f.jpg

Love this one! We went home very happy, tired and full of dreams for the next show. Plus ice cream stop...despite the torrential rain!!

High hopes now for this pony and my own baby!!!! :) :)

WandaMare

Visit site
Lovely pictures, what a great day for them and a wonderful first showing experience for the child. Well done good pony!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Yay for exmoors! I have two of the little reprobates and neither of miine are good children's ponies. Henry was loaned three times by families before I took him on (Boomerang, he was called, back then!). He'd be excellent, now, but he is 22! Chloe is too highly strung off a lead rein, but that may change. I wish she was chunky, like yours, but she's more shaped like a miniature TB!

Merrymoles

Visit site
I like Exmoors and, if I'd had kids, that is what they would have got! Hardy and with a brain so they can think things through for themselves. I think that, when you get that lightbulb moment and they realise what their job is, they are great ponies.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Lovely pictures OP!!

My first pony was an Exmoor, and he was an absolute HORROR, but don't think it was all his fault as looking at the whole thing retrospectively and with wisdom, he'd undoubtedly not had a good start and hadn't had the proper starting. By the time I'd got to be able to even half deal with his temper tantrums, I'd basically outgrown him and he was passed on to a riding school where he'd get enough work to keep his behaviour in check at least.

They look lovely; but they do need to be properly started and learn manners or else they will quickly get out of hand. But then you could say that about any equine basically!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
you don't need to convince me, I own two :)

lovely pony and they all look great.

Exmoors are not difficult, they are amazingly trainable and clever. They are not always the most forgiving and know what's fair and what isn't and there in lies the problem-(inconsistent and/or harsh handling).Like any other equine but X10 (in every way!).

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm bursting with pride. I've achieved a lot on this pony, he's won his fair share of show classes with me, British dressage, combined training....but honestly yesterday meant more than anything or any rosette!!! I totally agree they are trainable and clever...my poor boy had been through several homes as a youngster..some only staying a few weeks....and I think he had just gone into self defence/protection mode...he's the happiest little soul now, I respect him and he respects me and although he *could* use his strengh (he's a Sherman tank!!!) he now doesn't - he is my partner in crime now rather than my foe!!!! :) love him, he was a total superstar all day :) :) :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
unfortunately some don't get the best start as youngsters-not being fashionable is somewhat a self fulfilling prophecy. Both of mine are moor bred-one spent several years going through bottom end of the market sales, one has been mine from weaning. Older one is reactive and doesn't trust anyone more than 50% (he's 20, I've had him 6 years this year), other one is a toot (well, mostly :p).

Field04

Visit site
Can I ask what height is your pony and how old the rider was? I have a shetland for my girls at the moment but they are growing quickly and I am not sure whether to sell the very naughty little shetland!! Or keep her as company for my bigger horse. I am in two minds because if I get a small pony that my girls can ride and I can also keep fit by riding that would be fab. But do not want anything too big!!

Bobbly

Visit site
Yay, good lad Mossy! He's a lovely boy and he's done you proud of late and hopefully so will Kraka. Maybe palomino pony should have a new naughty chum in his future tales? (Mossy has a talented mum too...:)) Didn't realise you were quite so imminent on the family front, hope that all goes well for you too, then you'll have your hands full!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Can I ask what height is your pony and how old the rider was? I have a shetland for my girls at the moment but they are growing quickly and I am not sure whether to sell the very naughty little shetland!! Or keep her as company for my bigger horse. I am in two minds because if I get a small pony that my girls can ride and I can also keep fit by riding that would be fab. But do not want anything too big!!

It's rare to find an exmoor over 13 hh, so you won't get one too big. :)

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Thanks all, I don't know how to multi quote but mossy will be very pleased to know he is being admired! He is a true all rounder now we can add child's pony to his CV :)

Field04 he measures 12 hands exactly...I always presumed he was bigger until we had him measured! Great cos I can jump the small WH jumps ;) he's also 12 hands wide...he's from old anchor breeding and the ponies are typically stockier and more old fashioned. I do also have a youngster, just as lovely but very different, and I think he will make 12.3, possibly 13hands, he's much leggier. Jockey yesterday is 9, and fairly tall :)

Hi bobbly! I know...any day now we could have a mini but I'm hoping we have another 3 weeks so I can have a rest!!!!!! I defo need to feature mossy in the books at some point....the turn around of the former Exmoor wild child :D

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nice one KM :)

All bar 1 of my exmoors were ridden by children, usually my own daughter, but others who came and helped etc over the years.
Indeed dear daughter rode in open ridden classes on ours from the age of 6 at the start of the 1990's, whilst also doing M&M LR's & 1st ridden (all at National level).

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Joyful photos, what a very good pony.

Kidnap Moss perhaps your pony would be kind enough to have a little word in my pony's ear. Y'know, just tell him that being ridden isn't the work of the devil, and it would mean he could go to parties (shows) and everybody would be kind to him.

He's 7, mine, and still not been backed. Bridle, fine, saddle, no problem, long lining, easy peasy. Having somebody sit on him....no chance. He even got the better of Kelly Marks, and that was only to put a headcollar on him.

Ah well, I still love him to bits.

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Thank you again. I'm still a bit on a high with how good he was! He and his two field buddies were all flat out asleep this morning, I think he had been boring them all night with tales of his heroics! :)

Falconers....he did!!!! He got quite into it. The young handler mummies were smiling because he was on the sidelines talking jockey through it!!! And mossy is pretty wonderful :)

Gala...oh no! Well if it gives you any hope I would say mine was an asbo until about 8....he was broken at 4 and I did do things but I have some pretty hair raising tales from my time!!! He just clicked one day and has been good ever since *finds wood and touches it!!!* he was sooooo cheerful last night, I think he has worked out being a good pony gets him carrots and cuddles!!!!

Thanks all again. Love my pony! :)

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
I love seeing these pics here again - Mossy should have a front cover of a national newspaper to show how fabulous he was!!!!!
I am also loving how many Exie owners are on this forum!! Yay!! I have 5 (and a bit!) in total in terms of own/loan/look after...! Addictive things and most definitely "come in herds" :D wouldn't be without them ... I also love going to shows as us Exie lot are such a sociable bunch, gutted a family wedding got in the way yesterday and I couldn't see Mossy (and have some Tuffin's Tiffin!) in person! X

cambrica

Visit site
Such a pretty pony and the little lad looks so smart, huge well done to him!
Brilliant, happy thread !