Expecting an exciting delivery...

Wheels

Visit site
Oh bless her, hopefully once shes settled she will be less tense around people, sounds like shes never really had the chance to get to know anybody.

Has she had physio yet? Sometimes headshyness can link to tension I the TMJ or jaw.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oh bless her, hopefully once shes settled she will be less tense around people, sounds like shes never really had the chance to get to know anybody.

Has she had physio yet? Sometimes headshyness can link to tension I the TMJ or jaw.

She has physio this week.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Honestly, she sounds like a typical horse that's been started and jumped in Ireland. It's all about getting from one side to the other, and finessing it generally doesn't happen.

Once you've built that relationship and put in the missing pieces you'll have a cracking horse there ?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Honestly, she sounds like a typical horse that's been started and jumped in Ireland. It's all about getting from one side to the other, and finessing it generally doesn't happen.

Once you've built that relationship and put in the missing pieces you'll have a cracking horse there ?
Agree with this! My new one is the same ?

She looks cracking, and I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun together!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have no idea if this is of any interest to anyone.... but I'd like a record of our progress anyway. So here is more detail than anyone really needs on catching Lottie!

I knew Lottie could be tricky to catch even in her bare paddock. So I realised that a large grassy field may seem a better option for her than coming in! But hard to catch horses are a PITA and so I decided I would take as long as it takes and she would come in more or less willingly. I started filming a few minutes in and there are gaps in the filming because sometimes I wanted my hands free and sometimes I was petting her and sometimes I was busy and forgot.

Anyway the process went more or less: As soon as I arrived, ears went back and she trotted slowly away. No sign of fear. Just 'nope not coming in' vibes. So I followed at an equal distance and we meandered round the field together for a few minutes in walk or a slow trot till she stopped and I stopped and that is where the video starts. Essentially I was trying to use pressure release. I found her 'edge' where she would walk away and stayed on the edge. Not getting nearer. The edge got closer to her all the time. But I would move away away when she stopped or looked at me. Occasionally she would lose interest in me so I'd ask her to move out onto a circle around me. I'd also put a bit of pressure on when she was a bit aggressive, trying to drive me off, though in a very low key 'please go away' kind of way, No real hear behind it! I held my ground, stopped filing and sent her away. Or if she tried to eat grass and I would step in and say no that wasn't allowed.

The film stops when she is happy to be approached and has taken a few steps towards me or with me and I wanted to pet her. Then I haltered her with her not objecting at all and she led in with no issues. Hopefully it will take a bit less time tomorrow! And no time at all in a few days.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
what a good conversation you had with her, exactly the right way especially with a mare. you will have her sorted in no time, she looks like she will soon be looking for you

I hope so. Catching was the one area the yard that had her was concerned about. Apparently she charged at one of the grooms once. So I wasn’t sure how it would be but I decided that I would only ever match her pressure not ever get after her. So though I was fully prepared to have to defend myself I was never going to act aggressively myself. It took about 30 minutes to catch her though I didn’t even try to halter her until she looked ok about it. The first couple of times I was near enough to pet her she barely tolerated me stroking her neck and her ears were back so she might have put up with me haltering her but actually I didn’t want to with her in that mood so I just backed off and gave her a short break.

My overall aim is for her to actually become well mannered and polite, not just obedient. And to trust me and feel comfortable around me not just tolerate me. It’s weird though: I really really like her even though the feeling is definitely not mutual! For all Toby’s friendliness and affection, I like her more already. And not just riding her (though that too) but her in general. I have no idea why. Maybe I like stroppy, clever, independent minded women!!

ImmyS

Visit site
I hope so. Catching was the one area the yard that had her was concerned about. Apparently she charged at one of the grooms once. So I wasn’t sure how it would be but I decided that I would only ever match her pressure not ever get after her. So though I was fully prepared to have to defend myself I was never going to act aggressively myself. It took about 30 minutes to catch her though I didn’t even try to halter her until she looked ok about it. The first couple of times I was near enough to pet her she barely tolerated me stroking her neck and her ears were back so she might have put up with me haltering her but actually I didn’t want to with her in that mood so I just backed off and gave her a short break.

My overall aim is for her to actually become well mannered and polite, not just obedient. And to trust me and feel comfortable around me not just tolerate me. It’s weird though: I really really like her even though the feeling is definitely not mutual! For all Toby’s friendliness and affection, I like her more already. And not just riding her (though that too) but her in general. I have no idea why. Maybe I like stroppy, clever, independent minded women!!

She reminds me so much of my ex-racer - she had exactly the same attitude towards people especially in the field. She would read up at you sometimes - never tried to make contact, but she would warn you. We had the best relationship in the end once she came round. I think when some of these horses have never had a ‘constant’ in their life they naturally become defensive. You can see that she has an inquisitive and friendly side from that video. I think give it 6 months and she’ll be a completely different horse with you.

Asha

Visit site
She does look as though she wants to trust you, bless her. So glad shes found someone who will give her time. I look forward to the updates, where no doubt we will see a very different / relaxed mare.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well that was unexpectedly easy! Bless her. So much for being 'tricky to catch'. After the video stops I just haltered her, meeting no resistance and led her in.

Busy day for Lottie. Farrier first to have her shoes taken off. Then physio. She was quite tight but actually really seemed to relax and enjoy the massage.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
No problems catching her today and so we did some ground work. She catches on super quick. Her tendency was to get ahead of me when I was leading her but I have been working on her matching my pace and she is getting there. She is a real sweetie and tries hard. Only issue is that she isn't eating her hard feed. She eats hay and grass she will eat hard feed if I hold the bucket up for her but she won't eat off the floor! I've kept her on what she was on so that's a bit odd. But she is pooing loads and maybe as she is on good grass she is just not hungry?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
If you leave the feed there does she eat it eventually or just not at all?

Mine eats all of his dinner but in like...2 sittings. His "feed" and mineral are very boring and not tasty, so he eats about half or more and comes back for the rest later. Always been like this unless it's something more interesting aka a feed with sugar.