Expensive horsefly sprays - do they work?

turnbuckle

Visit site
Sure this was covered recently but can't find the thread.

Thinking Effol or Power Phazer, just for hacking and schooling, we're quite lucky and the field is fairly free of them.

Any experiences?

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
If your field is free of them I wouldn't bother wasting your money and no matter what fly spray you use or how much it doesn't stop horseflies as they go by sight and heat not smell(annoyingly). I use Power Phazer for normal flys and that works brilliant for me.

Auslander

Visit site
I was, until last week, firmly of the opinion that no fly sprays work, because they are sight hunters.Firstly, someone on here said something which made me rethink, and then I noticed that although they were hovering/landing on Alf, they were flying off, rather than biting him, whilst feasting on the other horses we were hacking with. I use Tritec.

Visit site
following because cannot cope with the airs above ground that occurs when one of the little ******** puts in an appearance when I'm trying to ride.

Coblover63

Visit site
My "hardy" traditional cob mare is a proper princess diva with horseflies. I'm pretty bad myself as I am hugely allergic. This year I have bought a ride on fly rug and oh my goodness what a difference it has made. To add to our embarrassment it is a zebra print one, which I'm led to believe confuses the horseflies. It does work a treat and for £26 it is money VERY well spent when you consider the cost of fly sprays!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It depends a little what you are getting them to do. In a bad area I have mostly used deosect or tritec (the deosect worked on the scabby legs when we had them so would just spread the rest over the body) and power phazer on top. The insecticide options also seemed to help with the ticks.

Being in a bad area made me appreciate our very good one at home!

ameeyal

Visit site
I agree with the tri tec for horse flys, but its expensive, another forum member on here mentioned jungle formula max , so I bought some and I have to say im impressed, I have a black horse so he really attracts them, but he only gets the odd one with the jungle formular.

yhanni

Visit site
I've been using the Hedgwitch Icaridin spray on the horses and myself. It does work but only for about 4 - 6 hours. Might try the Tritec. I got bitten the other day by a little fly ?Blandford and my hand swelled up and looked like a flipper! : (

Auslander

Visit site
On the Viovet page, it says "do not apply directly to animal" about Tritec, anyone know the reason for this?

It's a red tape thing. Tritec is licensed for use directly on horses in the US/Europe, but not in the UK, so it can only be marketed here as a stable spray

turnbuckle

Visit site
Ended up following advice of a pal who had found Tri-tec less than perfect and switched to Power Phaser and I must say it seems to work.

Far less horsefly bucks and it's very funny to see the normal flies come in, smell it and do a sort of handbrake turn!

Bernster

Visit site
Tri tec is the one I use. Expensive but only need to spray like once a week. My Gelding is grey so not sure if that makes a difference but he is def far less bothered by flies than friends horses, in the field and out hacking. Lots of people at the yard are now wearing those ride on rugs as the horseflies are so bad, but I’m pretty much fly free. I did get bitten by a horsefly the other day though, typcial, but that’s the only time all summer!

Mule

Visit site
I used a spot on treatment for the first time this year and it's been very good. The odd fly will land on them but they fly away again. The horses are definitely much more comfortable. I think it's called diosect

meleeka

Visit site
Didn’t I read somewhere that Tritec has the same ingredient as Deoesect? If so if really is expensive since 1 bottle of Deosect does my three all summer.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I use Tri Tec, the horse flies fly up, have a nosy and fly off again. I douse myself in it too. You don't need to use it every day so it does not work out as expensive as you first think. I have ditched half my fly sheets, horse is very happy.

Floofball

Visit site
I use Carr Day & Martin extra strength and it works for my lad. Horseflies hover, sometimes land but then fly off. They’re really bad at home but I’ve not had to use fly rugs at all (out overnight) forgot to spray him before we went out the other morning and I had to abandon the hack as we were mobbed! Buy it in bulk early in the year whenever there at a decent price on tinternet. Think I got them for £12 this year.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have been trialing a few this year, the best one i have tried so fat is the NAF Deet black bottle, its about £17.00 but does really seem to work. I spray it in his stable and i see all the flys/ mozzies fly out of his stable.

I also like the Avon Skin so soft for mozzies and seems to be working a treat for midges under his belly and sheath area.

We dont have horse flys so im not to sure how they stand up with them.

Alibear

Visit site
I wish something worked the only one on here that I've haven't tried yet is Tri-Tech, wow its expensive but I've just ordered it, I really hope it works as my mare is fed up of the arena but my back can't hand the bucks on hacks when they bite her tummy.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I wish something worked the only one on here that I've haven't tried yet is Tri-Tech, wow its expensive but I've just ordered it, I really hope it works as my mare is fed up of the arena but my back can't hand the bucks on hacks when they bite her tummy.

it does work-just follow the instructions (ie brush against hair and spray liberally) and dont be tight with it the first few times (difficult when its that expensive!).

Minny

Visit site
Did it work?