Experience vs a green youngster: what to do?

bluemoon123

Visit site
I have a dilemma. I have a 148cm Welsh Cross whom I've had since a four year old. After much time and work, he is now virtually bombproof and is very dependable sj/xc for my (admittedly) low level of competition. I absolutely love to compete and love the fact that even at my very low level, my little ponio makes me quite competitive at anything we want to try this year (I'm honestly not being arrogant - we had a fantastic 2012 because the penny has dropped with him and he's a real little trier).

Although I'm not overweight for him, he is just a pony - and the pony-squishing remarks I occasionally receive are getting quite annoying. But there is the most gorgeous 15.1hh cob coming up for sale but:
- He's only been riding for a few months
- He's a full Welsh so quite sharp
- He's a completely green youngster who has a lot of potential. But in terms of competitions this year, it would be back to basics for the cob's benefit

My problem is that I can't afford (time nor money) to keep both. So what should I do? If I give up my ponio, my fear is that I'll seriously regret it - I love to compete (but if I buy the cob, I won't get back to doing what I love for at least a year). But the cob could be much better for me in the long-term.

Anyone out there trade experience for a green youngster (for whatever reason)? How did it work out?

(PS: If I did purchase the youngster, I'd place him on livery with a pro rider to build his and my confidence in a professionally guided environment - the cob has THAT much potential. And the home is most important for the pony, not profit).

Tea and biscuits for reading this far - thanks for any feedback.

basilbrush2009

Visit site
its a tough one, i think you may know deep down in your head what you are going to do though as from the post it sounds as though you do want to go further and are excited about the prospects of the new horse

Make sure your lovely pony goes to a great great home, im sure a young up and coming rider will have great fun on him and you can demand that condition of sale is that you keep in touch with them and see how hes getting on

You can then rest easy knowing that your boy has a great home is having fun and you can train the younster without feeling guilty for enjoying it!

Solo1

Visit site
I was in exactly the same position apart from I was moving off my overgrown connie gelding onto an experienced 16.3hh Novice eventing mare. I ended up selling her a year and a half later as we never 'clicked'. I miss the littlest things the most - being able to jump on in the field, being competitive at whatever we entered, knowing him so well.

I'm not warning you off it but I'd think long and very hard. Slightly different as you're not moving onto a 'made' horse. Sam now has a forever home and I couldn't have wished for a better owner, but it was hard for me seeing him very happy, hunting and eventing and all that, and me struggling with my new one!

Firewell

Visit site
I'm not quite sure why you want to sell your little guy... have you outgrown his ability? If not then what can this other horse offer other than being a couple of inches taller? Why is the other one better in the long term?
Personally I think that if you have no designs to do grand things which tbh a 15hh cob or a 14.2 cob cross I can't quite see that there would be that much difference ability wise between the two then you should keep the one you have.
You have already put the time and effort into the one you have and he is out there winning for you and making you happy, why on earth would you want to sell him?
I'd stick with better the devil you know, who cares what other people think. 14.2 isn't that small anyway, it is practically a horse :).

ELAINE.69

Visit site
Why on earth are you taking any notice of size comments, he sounds smashing and ,is clearly doing your job for the sake of 2/3 inches those very people whom comment would most likely turn round and say why on earth did you sell your old boy dont do it god if ida have listened mine would be shot enjoy him:)

bluemoon123

Visit site
Thanks all for your feedback. I'll be taking some time to think on it. Will probably try cob in a few different situations (with a pro's assistance) but he'd want to be pretty special to replace what I have. I think i have realized how lucky i am - my ponio may be small but he's hard to beat ;-). Thanks again