Experience with OCD and anaesthetic in large breeds

lochpearl

Visit site
My gorgeous full Irish Draught 5 year old has been diagnosed with OCD in his stifles, there are bone fragments in his stifles and the vets have advised to operate - arthroscopy, to remove the chips and do whatever needs to be done once in there.

The vets have explained that due to his size there is a higher risk of fatality when coming out of the anaesthetic than there would be if he was a lighter breed - TB etc. Obviously anaesthetic carries it's risks but it is much higher in a heavy breed. They also said they were more likely to suffer from something to do with more swelling and bruising than other breeds - I can't remember the name.

Now this is the hardest decision I have had to make as this horse is my life and has had so many problems - collateral ligament desmitis in both front coffin joints and so on. I really need to know if anyone has any experience with either having a heavy horse go under GA and how it recovered or OCD recovery.

Thanks x

minmax

Visit site
I was told by my local vets that my WB was at risk as he was so big. They also said he was grossly over weight too. He has OCD in both stifles and hocks. Had arthroscopy down at Rossdales as my vets were so negative. Their loss! BTW, nothing ever said about his size or chub down there!!?
I am now backing my horse, lightly as he is not 100% sound. The surgeon did all he could but mine has cracks in the cartilage in the one stifle so may never come sound.
mine is 4 this yr.
I'm sorry my story isn't a hopeful one, I just have to take one day at a time. My horse may end up doing a job or be a pet.
If your vet thinks an op is the only option, with quality of life etc considered, maybe thats your answer? If they think he may be ok without it, you could leave it?
try joint supps etc?

CBAnglo

Visit site
Oh M I couldn't believe your text you really didn't deserve this and neither did poor h.

Can you send the xrays etc to another vet to get a second opinion about the risks? Is it the exact same op as they did for lotto? I know lankydoodle had the same op for her big WB who came out of the surgery well but he had severe lesions so the surgery didn't help. She might be able to give you more info on the risks with larger horses?

star

Visit site
my horse has bilateral stifle OCD. he was fine with his GA but he's a lightweight 15.1hh welsh cob. dont know if he'll ever come sound. he's 8yrs old and has to have the next 6mths in the field.

fingers_crossed

Visit site
Mine is a TB, but has had exactly the same problemS as yours. The op was fine, but 9 months on he has had to become a hack (if i can find one who wants a 6yo tb as a light pleasure horse!!). The cartilage is now smooth but as it is on the weight bearing surface of the femur, whenever we up his work it swells up and he goes lame again. then he puts more weight on the front and the ligaments inflame again. And on it goes!
Sorry im giving you such a bad view on this! If the cartilage damage is not directly on the weight bearing surface the outlook will be better.
Having said all this, i'm glad I gave him the best chance I could.I've had another horse undergo GA and he came out of it fine too. x

lochpearl

Visit site
thanks all, he has gone into the vets today and will be operated on tomorrow. The actual op isn't really the issue, it seems very straight forward and they are hoping for a full recovery, I don't think there are any problems with the actual ligaments and so on, it's just to remove the bone fragments and tidy up anything that they come across - I am hoping not a lot as the only thing that was showing on the scans were bony problems.

The main problem is whether he will fall when trying to get out of the anaesthetic and that I lose him that way. He is very big and also overweight from the previous box rest so this is I think more their concern.

He's presently munching away on some hay is a lovely airy box next to a pig lol!! Lets hope it desensitizes him lol!!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Mary - sorry I haven't been in contact - it's all been a whirlwind but I trust them and his surgeon is brilliant, the only reason she is giving me total worst case scenario is because she knows how much I love him and they all do too! xxx

CBFan

Visit site
My filly (a CB) was operated on at 14 months old and she recovered well from the anaesthetic. Her's was a very severe case affecting the bone on both stifles and my vet said that she would only ever be a light hack. she is now aparently sound (she went back to her breeder) and doing well in the field. I think you have to allow plenty of time for recovery (sometimes more than the vet sugests) and feed a good quality joint supplement too.

lochpearl

Visit site
Thanks CBFan - he is already on cosequin for what we thought was just joint problems, so hopefully we have started early enough. I also have had 2 IRAP syringes taken so have 12 injections ready to use in the next 24 months, so we also have that as a backup.

jokadoka

Visit site
My 16.1 hh TB was operated on 10 years for OCD, recovered fine and hasn't had a problem related to OCD since. He is now 19 years old and still going strong. Admittedly he isn't a large breed, but perhaps yours being a large breed on the "chubby" side might actually reduce damage should he struggle getting up after the GA? Might be a stupid thought but you can't beat the power of positive thinking!!!
Hope it goes ok!

classiclady

Visit site
My Mare was diagnosed with OCD in her near hock at the age of eight. She is Anglo Arab so not large breed. She was already retired due to other issues she had with being ridden so after six weeks box rest my vet advised that as she was already retired and her lameness was only 1 10th to just leave her be and not operate.

A couple of years later I spoke to another vet at the same practice as I wanted to in hand show my mare, if there was anything I could give her to help with the lameness. He advised Corta Flex and with in three weeks I should notice a difference. I couldn't get Corta Flex so tried NAFs Supper Flex. By week 2 she was still lame but not as much and by week 3 she was sound. She has been sound ever since on this leg up until yesterday she has shown some stiffness so i am going to get some more Supper Flex and hope it does the trick again my mare is now 18 and has won many rosettes in hand.

I am not saying that this is the answer for every horse and I was skeptical that it would work for us but it did and I am hoping that it will help again.