Experienced chihuahua folk please

ribbons

Visit site
Can anyone with in depth experience of chihuahuas, particularly showing, give me any pointers regarding green eyes. Ive googled a bit but not getting anything solid. Ive heard they're rare and sought after. I've also heard they are not looked on favourably by judges. I know very little about the breed yet (always had hounds, mostly whippets) so would appreciate some sound unbiased facts, about any possible health issues related to green eyes and also the situation regarding the show ring. Many thanks.

s4sugar

Visit site
From the KC breed standard "Eyes
Large, round, but not protruding; set well apart; centre of eye is on a plane with lowest point of ear and base of stop; dark or ruby. Light eyes in light colours permissible."
No not desirable except as a maketing point for puppy farmers.

ribbons

Visit site
Thanks sugar, yes i read that, and it was the permissible bit that i was looking for a bit more info on. So your saying that whilst green eyes are not considered a fault neither are they approved of ?
Ive been looking at chi's for a while now (can assure you none from farms or backyard breeders) and seen a few i really like, one or two with green eyes, but even the experienced breeders seem to have differering opinions, mostly ive concluded its just down to taste. However i thought i'd ask here and see if i could get any concrete facts. Has anyone ever shown a chi to champion or even high level with green eyes.

s4sugar

Visit site
Shouldn't you be asking the breeders you are speaking to if they have made any up with green eyes? I've not shown a chi for over 15 years but can't remember a winning one with green eyes. Their eye colour is the reason that chocolates & chocolate & tan fell out of favour in the show ring. They are definately not sought after and a dog with green eyes would have to be exceptional eleswhere to get a look in. Light eyes is usually taken to mean amber or gold.

ribbons

Visit site
Thank you, thats the sort of info i was after. Light eyes definition.

None of the breeders ive spoken to have made up any green eyed dogs but some have said that is purely because they are not common and not many being shown but as they grow in numbers it wont be long before it happens. Whilst others have said its because even a very very good dog will be overlooked in the ring if it has green eyes.
But neither group can guarantee a green eyed dog has not been successfully shown even if not to champion status.
This being the reason im asking the question everywhere i can think of, the more responses i get the better chance of opinion being stronger one way or the other.
I'm really trying to find out if it's just personal choice, the way some horse judges prefer a bay to a grey, or if its a real disadvantage regardless of who's judging.

If it's relevant the only pups i've seen with green eyes have been cream.