Experience's Hacking out with Dogs.

Tillie

Visit site
Hello,
Ive been keeping dogs my whole live, from mastiffs to little terriers. But i never thought of hacking out with them. I always train my dogs to walk without a lead. I teach them commands, that i think would be handy when hacking out. Alot of people hack out with there labradors, but i have vever really been keen on this breed of dog.

What breed of dogs do you have and are they happy to hack out with you, and easy too control?

Also i i do alot of long distance hacks which can take up 5 hours so i would like the dog too come with me. All of my dogs are getting on in life.

Thank You

fizzer

Visit site
I never have, years ago my friend had her dog run over chasing a cat, they were off road but dog took off, Dog was very well trained and always usually recalled. Not worth the risk in my eyes, though I know lots of people do .

Archangel

Visit site
I have a lab x rotti and she is excellent. Trained her with the bike first so she got the hang of it. I keep the pace on the steady side because she is a chunky dog and I don't want to knacker her legs.

My grandmother's dalmation on the other hand would not even have noticed 5 hours at a smart pace and naturally tucked in behind the horse and stayed there.

My previous dog, a full lab thought every squirrel in Surrey should be chased up a tree and horse got to anticipate this. Even after the dog had passed on horse would spot a squirrel and take off after it :eek::)

ETS we are off road riding, if I ever have to cross a road I put the dog on a lead in plenty of time, plus she has her flashing collar on.

vieshot

Visit site
Yes I take my border collie with me every time I go out riding. This also involves a good half an hour road work. She is perfectly trained and walks to the left of the horse at all times on the road. I only ever used a lead in her early training, haven't used one for a good five years. We have come across many things that would cause an average dog to forget themselves- other dogs being walked on both sides of the road, cats darting across our path etc. she never steps from her place and I have complete trust in her.

When we get on the forest I don't even need to think about her, she's always got her eye on us and never strays far from the horse. She's quick too, she can hold her own against a flat out gallop ;-)

I can't imagine getting another dog to the standard of training that she's at.......I'm not even sure how I managed it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Labradors , they love it and they so well behaved my OH has trained if we meet any one they automatically go to the verge and sit with the horse between them and the strangers.
It's great for training hunters to be used to dogs.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
rewind..........you don't like labradors :confused:

7oct2012070.jpg

percy28aug12004.jpg

This is Shy's best friend (6 months old now) and he rides out with us most days.

Last edited:

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
MIL's chocolate (gundog style and partly trained) lab, SIL's mini Schnauzer and friends collies all hack out with the horses, on minor roads and all over the pentlands. All can go through sheep (livery yard owners own- he is happy with this) and are very well behaved. The schnauzer does like to chase joggers though ;) wee bugger. The absolutely love it.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I take my whippet, she is very well behaved although can be distracted and doesn't like going through the river! She can keep up on a good gallop though.

She usually heels to the horse although she gets confused if I take her out in a group. I've taken her out on a long lead as well (plaited bailer twine actually) and I prefered this as I didn't have to worry about where she was.

Very very quiet roads round us though. Would think twice if I was going anywhere busy.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
GSDs, Labs, Lab X, Lurcher, Greyhound, Border Collies and Border Terriers have all accompanied me out hacking with the horses.
I teach them to 'Come in' which means they have to get behind me rather than 'Heel' which means alongside.

All were well trained before going out with the horses.

Luci07

Visit site
yes one of my staffords comes out with us and loves it. She can keep up with NO problem. Also take out my friends dalmatian sometimes as well. We have hardly any roadwork and both dogs are highly treat focused. Took a bit of work and I won't risk riding without treats but both my little stafford and the dally are pretty good. Only thing I have to watch out for is that people tend not to see the stafford till the last minute as a: we are on quite big horses b: she is a red c she is quick and quiet! Really love taking her out and the upside is I now have a bombproof youngster who doesn't care about anything coming out of the woods.. and I know that when I take him out hunting, he will not raise a leg to any of the hounds!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Percy has just started playing "sticks" with Shy, that Shy learnt from our last lab, Stanley (died in June). Percy had a stick, Shy wanted it and started stamping the ground and pawing (this is with me on him :eek:), so when Percy went up to him to see what the fuss was about, Shy nicked it. Shy then carried it for the next 15 minute, with Percy looking very confused at him.. I should get a video of all this really - will arm hubbie up next time we go out.

The problem with two youngsters (Shy and Percy) is that they can play rough - dog leaps out of hedge in front of Shy, Shy leaps about like a loony, on and on. Don't worry, hubs is on foot keeping a close eye on all of us ;)

Big Ben

Visit site
Living as we do in the middle of nowhere the dogs have free run of the place, so can choose to come out with me or not. Our Doberman appointed himself chief hack master so he would come with me while everyone else stayed at home, Mr G got used to having a Dobie pounce out of the long grass under his feet and never paid him any mind.

One day though I decided to ride across a neighbours field (remember out here each field is 160 acres) only to find that it wasn't as dry as I had hoped, and the soil out here goes like slick oil as soon as it gets wet, so Mr G and I were slip sliding along trying to find our way to some safer footing, when the Dobie starts to appear from the rushes round a nearby pond, dragging what appears to be a human leg with him:eek: G Man and I both where kind of bug eyed at this and I was so glad that we were only a couple of steps from a grippy surface. Once we had come to a stop I looked again and realized that it wasn't a human leg, but cows leg that he had, OK good don't have to phone the authorities at least.:eek:

Trouble was the little bugger was not going to leave his prize there for anyone, he was going to drag it home, much to G Mans disgust, damn dog if he followed us along the road G Man was trying to bolt home, so I would shout at him and he would disappear into the ditch, only to overtake us and pop up in front of us, in which case G Man was suddenly trying to work out which way was safe to go, it was to say the least an interesting ride!

Sadly Nemo passed away, so my new volunteer is Bubba the Blue Tic Coonhound, who is a great companion:D

millikins

Visit site
My Standard poodle always comes riding, like others, very treat orientated to train. He does sometimes find some vile things to eat, VERY dead rabbit's a favourite and I cannot get them off him, otherwise no problems. Again, very little roadwork, I get off and lead for the few bits we have to do.

Archina

Visit site
I regularly take my golden retriever and collie hacking with me. They are both mature dogs and well trained. We do a mixture of road work on quiet country roads where the only traffic you really see are quads, tractors and the occasional car and field work through mostly livestock fields. They dont bother about the sheep or cows as they have grown up with them so Ive never had any problems taking them with me. My male great dane will come hacking with me over the fields, but he is a bit dopey when it comes to roads so I dont risk it with him. My other great dane who is female only does what she is told when she wants too even though she has had extensive training so I never take her out with me. She even stays on a lead for walks because of her ignorance towards me! :rolleyes:

BWa

Visit site
Yep, my border collie loves it. She is also our working sheepdog so is well trained and she has a super quick stop which is handy when I'm near a road. She will always be in front but constantly comes back and forth to me. Some horses would find that annoying as she will rush up to us but my boy is used to it. The only time he takes any notice is if she leaps out of a drain when she has been for a drink. However, all this is one private land on our farm. I avoid the bridle paths which cross our land as they are busy with dog walkers on a weekend and she isn't great with other dogs and I wouldn't take her if I had road work planned. We have done it on occasions after unplanned detours with no issues. I did once attempt some schooling in a stubble field which was a disaster with the dog constantly in the way! I have also taken our JRT out if I'm feeling brave and as long as we keep moving briskly he will keep pace by our side, but walking is boring and he invirably fine a hare and disappear.

Tillie

Visit site
Thank You so much, i can see i doesnt matter the breed of dog just the training. As i have always had big dogs i might try a dalmation or german pointer. Ive had these dogs before and found them good with my horses, I will be riding on our lanes but they are dead quite, i only meet one or two cars on a hour hack. Thanks for the advise.

As for i dont do labradors, is because i find them abit food made. But that me just personal, most people say im daft having 5 mastiffs.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Tillie, an odd reply - and so was the one on another thread you've just posted :confused:

Copy and paste ; " No need to be nasty to me, im wasnt born in to horses or lucky like most people, i buy unbroke wild horses and break them for riding schools. I know what its like to not know what your oing and ask for advise. If this is how you treat people im suprised people ask you for help. "

What IS going on with this forum atm, hahaha.

Last edited:

Tillie

Visit site
It wasnt aimed at you, its just people annoy me, acting like they are the only ones who no what is right.
You can only learn from your mistakes.

As for the reply where i said about my mastiffs, is because alot of people shout and say such nasty thing when i am walk them. And this i only beause of what the press say about being the breed being dangerous, mine would run away rather then attack. I just said it as people seemed dumb when i said im not keen on labradors