Experiences of Bull Terriers?

Hattiehorse1

New User
Visit site
In a year or so I plan to get a puppy. I'm thinking either a german shepherd or a bull terrier.

I've been around shepherds all my life, understand their health issues (hip dysplasia etc) and am perfectly capable of supplying correct exercise and training.

However, since I saw 'Babe: the sheep pig' movie when I was younger, I've been enamoured of bull terriers. I love the sloping nose and goofy grins. I've done a bit of research and their health issues appear to be skin allergies and deafness mainly? I've also been reading very mixed reviews on their personalities; some thinking they are the most cuddly, lovely animal around and others thinking they are evil. I assume the evilness is rubbish and it's all down to the owner. Please tell me if I'm wrong!

So I'd love to know what you think of them? If you've met one? If you own one? Give me your experiences?

(After all my research I'll probably end up at a rescue picking up a cheeky little mongrel anyway, but just in case!)

Thanks!

Luci07

Visit site
Presume you are talking about English Bull Terriers? I have Stafford bull terriers. Very broadly speaking EBT tend to be clowns and not always very bright. Staffords are great family dogs and I have 4 running around the yard. Tend to be brighter dogs. Pedigree Stafford bitch will only be 14" at the shoulder and a dog 16". EBT's tend to be a little bigger. I have found staffords are a little less wilful. As for the bad reputation, I really would say, look to the owners. Terriers are active dogs. Staffords often make good agility dogs and my younger Stafford bitch used to hack out with me (till horse trod on her when he was being a dick, so now she will only hack of I am riding another horse!). Breed rescue for both will have a lot of these dogs as well so if you are thinking of rescue, you will be spoilt for choice.

SpringArising

Visit site
We've had four Staffies (three dogs & one bitch) and one EBT (a dog). The EBT was a bit of a nightmare. Never stood still, had endless energy, was boisterous and practically impossible to train. They're also pretty big (unless you get a Mini EBT).

Our Staffies on the other hand have always been relatively placid, very willing to please and fantastic with children (the EBT was good with kids too, but he was much bigger than any of our Staffs have been).

That said, I still love EBTs and would love to get another one. There's no point tarring them all with the same brush, but I would recommend really doing your research first and buying from a reputable breeder. It's really important that you see both the mum and the dad to make sure they have good temperaments.

EBTs do suffer with their skin - ours was white and his nose was always a bit sore. Looking back, I think it's entirely possible that he was a bit deaf, too (that, or he had selective hearing!).

Dobermonkey

Visit site
My friend has had 2 bet. First one was agoraphobic and hated leaving the garden and would wait at the side of the road for a passing taxi. She was incredibly funny with her bully runs round the garden/house.ns hated my dobe. She would launch herself from the step at his throat. She happily lived with another dog but the cat left home. Great with humans and loved kids. Her new one loves the grand kids etc and is incredibly social and would play with my boy for hours and is a real couch potato but happy to go to the park for 'bully runs' with anyone who cares to join in. She's a real sweetheart. Great characters but not for me I like something a bit taller :) size wise. Bit chunkier than a staff but not much in it

Kaylum

Visit site
Bull terrier fantastic breed my Carly was kind, soft, clever, enjoyed her food and walks. She died at age 11. With any dog check the breed lines very carefully and go on the forums.

sonjafoers

Visit site
I have a 2 year old brindle bitch, my first ebt and a complete learning curve after always having had rotties - she's an absolute clown, in a world of her own most of the time and as thick as 2 short planks! She is great with other dogs and loves people, she wags her tail at every one who walks past her in the hope they'll say hello, she's always happy and makes us smile every day.

She has a lot of energy but she is small and kept trim, she is exercised a lot and our vet says the key is to keep them going because once you stop or reduce the exercise they can get very lazy. She does love her sleep but is ready to go at the drop of a hat.

We've had no skin allergies at all, in fact she has a glossy shiny coat but she has been fed raw from day one which is think has a lot to do with it. From people I've spoken to most of those with allergies have been on a dry feed and once changing to raw the problems have reduced/disappeared.

Kaylum

Visit site
she is gorgeous I see one on the way to work and always want to stop and chat to the owner as the dog is so amazing.

Betty Orange

New User
Visit site
We got an Ebt puppy 3 months ago_Oh boy are they something else!
We have the most biddable lurcher so Maggie was a bit of a shock,she is relentless and needs to be told and told and told.
Very loving and funny but definitely a dog needing a lot of commitment and time,i can see that boredom would turn to mischief very quickly.
I would love it if anyone could recommend some extra reading beyond the standard breed info as there are aspects of these dogs that need careful negotiation!
Hope that helps.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Try reading Morris - A guide dog for the thick, not exactly informative reading but will have anyone who understands Bull Terriers in stitches. Mind you it will put off anyone who has no experience of them!

Pics Betty Orange we need pics.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I like EBTs I can't really explain why they are very different to other dogs, they have so much attitude! I think they are a Marmite dog in that it's hard to be indifferent to them! My last EBT (white) never had skin trouble he was fed dried dog food. I had him from the dogs home aged about 6mths he died aged 9, I was devoted to him, he had a lovely temperament. My current EBT (red) also seems to have healthy skin he arrived on Monday he's been in rescue kennels 4 years - he's a love. I wouldn't describe the EBTs I have known as thick but some of them have been difficult to train - My family keep working dogs spaniels and collies committed to pleasing their handler, an EBT is more of an anarchist!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Would there be a 'general' difference in the behaviour of the sexes? My experience of EBTs is very limited, I'll admit, and whether those which I've seen have been a trifle on the dim side, or whether they actually aren't and are simply stubborn, I've yet to decide! In my youth, when I worked in the Battersea Dog's Home, we had one which came in and he was positively dangerous and difficult to get round. From memory, he was the only dog ever to which I've resorted to bribery to get him back in his kennel, when he'd escaped. He wasn't 'claimed' and he was pts, as it was felt that it was the only option. That in itself was a nightmare, and he ended up being shot.

I suspect that the label of being thick is probably because of their often expressionless face, and their level of 'deafness', though many years ago, at Crufts, when there was a National obedience trial, and amongst the competitors, there was an EBT, a white one as I remember, but presumably it had qualified for the event, so it must be do-able! :)

As some others, probably not really the dogs for me, but they do have a certain appeal.

Alec.

Betty Orange

New User
Visit site
They are certainly complex,but definately not thick,in fact i think they are really smart but have no real interest in pleasing you,although they are affectionate.
I would really love some advice about certain traits which seem to be emerging.Maggie has developed a complete obsession with balls,although at times this seems like a useful training tool i wonder whether its really healthy.And a slight bullying tendency towards the lurcher and sometimes the kids which i have to say is worrying me slightly as she will be considerably bigger in another 6 months.
All advice gratefully received.Will try to post photos. She is a red smut so very pretty.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Ours is definitely not blessed with intelligence! She's stubborn, in a world of her own and tests our patience to the max - despite that I love her to bits and laugh at her & with her every day. However no matter what anyone says they'll never convince me that she isn't thick!

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Last edited:

siennamum

Visit site
I've had generations of bullies and bred & showed them. they are wonderful dogs, incredibly kind & friendly. Definitely hard to train, though I've had a couple of bright ones - it does depend on upbringing.
they are also enormous fun to have a round & complete sofa monsters:
228173_10150174173156199_2965716_n.jpg